Got a gift, sure it's a recast, what do I do?

If you don't tell her it's a recast, this may happen again, especially if she has her own eBay account. The best thing to do would be to tell your mutual friend that it's a recast, and have HIM break the news to her. That way you're in the clear, they both get educated, and you get an ultra-rare moment in your marriage where your wife will actually, genuinely feel guilty she did something wrong... :lol

In the meantime, you finish it, gush all over it, make love to your wife and say "who's your Iron Man, baby!" and then pay someone $5 at the show to bump into you... :love

Dan

Well, have you already touched it without gloves on?
If so, you are condemned and should just keep it and enjoy it.
Seriously, what if it isn't a recast? You don't even know, your wife didn't know and she bought you a very nice gift!
I agree that they are both keepers.
Mention to her that she was lucky as there are a lot of scam artists and people who recast items on eBay you're SURE this isn't one of them but what a wonderful gift it is, etc. etc.
Then, at least she is aware of the issue.

Better start leaving email addresses around the house now for the forthcoming IM suit or Mjolnir or CA shield or whatever is next...

If you're wife was thoughtful enough to get that as a gift for you, I'd say they are both keepers!

This is still the best answer :)

I am on the side of those that said don't even clue her on the recasting thing.

This would just prevent her to buy you (again) such a cool gift... cause you know how this is going to go the next time:
1- She's gonna have the best gift idea ever
2- She's gonna see it on eBay
3- Then just before hitting "Buy it Now" she'll think about your talk on recasting and she won't want to disappoint you so...
4- She'll decide against buying this and you'll end up with another power tool or something :)

And you don't want this to happen :angel

This is still the best answer :)

I am on the side of those that said don't even clue her on the recasting thing.

This would just prevent her to buy you (again) such a cool gift... cause you know how this is going to go the next time:
1- She's gonna have the best gift idea ever
2- She's gonna see it on eBay
3- Then just before hitting "Buy it Now" she'll think about your talk on recasting and she won't want to disappoint you so...
4- She'll decide against buying this and you'll end up with another power tool or something :)

And you don't want this to happen :angel

Yep, it's all about ME.

A better approach:
Tell her plainly that it was a wonderful gift and looks just like the "original". Ask her if she would like to see how it was made, but MAKE NO NEGATIVE STATEMENTS or moral judgements whatsoever. Show the process of recasting, show the materials, tools and end result but do not bring up the moral dilemma, let it rise by itself.

My wife bought me an IronMan helmet from a mutual friend that got it from the bay and I'm sure its a recast of the Museum Replicas mark III. What is the protocol. Do I have to drop it off a building?

This sucks.

Well if it were me, I would most definitely keep it, as it was purchased in good faith as a gift.

However, I would consider finding out who your wife purchased it from and notifying Museum Replicas of the issue so that others may not have to deal with the same issue.

It's a Christmas necro post miracle !

baby-sinclair.gif

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back