Multiple ST Phaser builds: Insanity in the making, with a Communicator too!

Doh!! Just realized that I sprayed the wrong color bronze onto the Concept's grip after I had the two laying next to each other. I used Antique Bronze when I should have used Dark Bronze. Guess I'll be masking and spraying it again. :behave

Here's another update, and we're in the home stretch for the MkII and Concept.

PHASED PARTICLE:

The only thing I've done to this is drill the hole into the magazine and smooth the surface a little more:
10-28-11_1230.jpg

CONCEPT PHASER:

Took the masking tape off the emitter, and am still prepping it to receive the nozzle, as the hole pre-drilled into the kit is off center (I don't know why there is a Cheerio there):
11-23-11_1755.jpg

I initially painted the mesh on the P1 silver, but I think it looks terrible. I sent the following pic below to my client and it was decided that painting it all one uniform color still wouldn't look good (raised mesh just doesn't work on a P1), so I'll be using some textured styrene to cover it up, and make it blend in more with the futuristic design of this concept:
11-18-11_1915.jpg

While I'm still working on that, I added the brass P1 emitter:
11-23-11_1754.jpg

On the back end of the this phaser is a dilythium crystal power indicator like the ones on the ST1 & ST2 phaser. Since this is a static build and the normally illuminated part is a solid hunk of resin, I employed some interesting paint. I started with a highly reflective chrome silver, and then mixed Pearl Ex Interference Blue pigment powder into some Future, and put on several coats. The pictures don't show the effect, but it looks like a powered down, translucent window, with a hint of energy beneath it:
11-23-11_0316.jpg

11-23-11_0317.jpg

PHASER MkII:

I used some spray adhesive to affix the graphics to the MkII:
11-16-11_2043.jpg

...and painted the buttons on the side and P1:
11-16-11_2120.jpg

I painted the plate on the bottom of the grip a dark brass, just to add a little flavor. I also glue in the aluminum trigger:
11-23-11_0314.jpg

11-23-11_0315.jpg

Now here's where I ran into a problem. This particular casting of the kit is several years old, and before Xscapes started machining their emitter tips out of acrylic. The one in this kit was cast resin, and unfortunately was from a bad batch. Not only had it turned a sickly yellow color, but I could also bend and flex it like rubber:
10-31-11_1205.jpg

10-31-11_1207.jpg

I would like to stress that this emitter is an extreme rarity. Xscapes does top notch casting. This is just one of those things that happen once in a blue moon. I sent an e-mail to Scott of Xscapes explaining my problem, and he happily machined a couple replacements for me (I'll be using the other one on the Concept Phaser, as it's emitter was damaged in my move). I can't say enough good things about Xscape, so if any of you want this (or other amazing prop kits), do yourself a favor and hit up the website: Xscapes Sci-Fi Originals, movie prop replicas and more...

Now, since the emitter design has changed a little bit in the intervening years, the new emitter tip is a bit too short and too thin for the emitter housing. I managed to find a piece of brass tubing in my brass box that had the exact inner diameter needed to snugly fit the emitter tip, and the exact outer diameter to fit snugly in the housing. I first put the tip into the brass tube, and hit it with some CA glue from behind. Then I dipped the exposed acrylic into some Future to really bring out the shine and make it crystal clear and let it dry:
11-23-11_1753.jpg

Then I mixed up some epoxy glue, put some into what little cavity was left inside the brass, and dripped a good sized gob down the hole in the housing. I made sure everything was square and let the glue set. Here she is with the new emitter:
11-23-11_2035.jpg

11-23-11_2036.jpg

Just a few touchups to make on the MkII and it's all done. I'll try to get some beauty shots of it in direct sunlight if the rain over here ever lets up this week. I anticipate the Concept will be finished by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
Still need to make a few tiny touch-ups, but here it is in some natural light (please excuse the Aaron hair that managed to fall on it just before snapping the pic). I'll be getting this and the concept professionally photographed early next week.
11-24-11_1428.jpg

11-24-11_1427.jpg

Still need to make a few tiny touch-ups, but here it is in some natural light (please excuse the Aaron hair that managed to fall on it just before snapping the pic). I'll be getting this and the concept professionally photographed early next week.
11-24-11_1428.jpg

11-24-11_1427.jpg

They should have used that one in the new movie. It was enough like the original but different and more advanced at the same time. Love it

You've done amazing work. It's almost perfect. I feel like the top of the front needs something. On the original there is a site window and a metal plate. The area on this, which extends over the P1 nicely, seems in need of some detail to make it complete.

Hi Trid@
I have to ask,:Where did You get the U.S.S. Phoenix Phaser 2 Kit. I bought the U.S.S. Phoenix plans several decades ago (I'm 60) and have meant to build one before I kick off (My Bucket List). I would really appreciate it You would let me know. Also, what colors were the grill, and buttons on the P1?
Thank You in advance,
Larry Mager aka Stryker

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, Larry Mager here. I bought one of the U.S.S. Phoenix plans about 3 decades ago at a WindyCon, or may be DemiCon. I'm 60 years old, what can I say:eek. I loved the ship design and especially the Phaser! It's on my "bucket list" to build, both ship and P2. One problem, My now ex-wife destroyed it.
Is there anyway that I can buy another copy? Please?????????????? Personally, I think that the Phoenix is a better design than most of the so-called "Professionals" and I Don't give complements lightly. Thanks for a wonderful set of designs,
Cheers,
Larry Mager

You'll better sent a PM directly to TridCloudWalker or simple add a "@" directly to his name to get his attention (it will be mentioned in his CP) since it's a ooold thread. TridCloudwalker: you have a message!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You YenChihLin,
I did, indeed, send him a P.M. Again, Thank You for Your advice! Short of loaning money, if I can return Your favor to me, I'll be happy to.:D
Cheers,
Larry

Hi Dennis, Larry Mager here. I bought one of the U.S.S. Phoenix plans about 3 decades ago at a WindyCon, or may be DemiCon. I'm 60 years old, what can I say:eek. I loved the ship design and especially the Phaser! It's on my "bucket list" to build, both ship and P2. One problem, My now ex-wife destroyed it.
Is there anyway that I can buy another copy? Please?????????????? Personally, I think that the Phoenix is a better design than most of the so-called "Professionals" and I Don't give complements lightly. Thanks for a wonderful set of designs,
Cheers,
Larry Mager

Larry,

So, I'm only six years late checking back in here. Very sorry about that; don't know if you're still around either or still interested but here's a PDF of the U.S.S. Phoenix blueprint pack.

For the PDF I added some color and a new "back cover." Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• USS_Phoenix_Technical_Orders.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
Thank You VERY much, Dennis. I've never stopped liking the Phoenix class. I remember some years ago someone had made a kit of the Phaser pistol, and again, it looked SO much more professional than even ones used on the screen. I like the new uniform designs. they look VERY sharp! It's kind of funny that at the age of 66.75 I am going back to building from what I started all those years ago: Cardstock and wood! part of the problem is that I've had 2 cataract surgeries and only one has been 100% successful so rather than try to paint, I go with wood and cardstock. The same goes for the Phaser design. Thank You Dennis Bailey for Your wonderful gift!!!!!!!! I've got it printed out and will start on the cardstock models as soon as I can get through some minor health issues.

I PROMISE You when the kits are done, I WILL NOT sell them!!!!!!!! Sincerely,
Larry

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back