Wonder Woman

It's a world with Amazonians, Gods and super-powers. With all that, why couldn't the tanks be (slightly) more advanced than they actually were in WW1? I mean, they do have an incentive to develop bigger guns if they've got to face Diana of Themyscira.

Now that I think about it I wonder if this was intentionally made to be reminiscent of the Action Comics 1 cover
Action_Comics_1.jpg

Yeah, but then most people wouldn't realize that it's supposed to be a tank. WWI tanks looked vastly different than what people generally associate with the concept. Maybe she'll throw the right kind in the film.

OTOH, look at the parts she's holding. Wouldn't those be more likely to break off in her hands, rather than supporting the whole weight of it?
EDIT: Nvm, it looked like she was holding the railings at first. Now I see she's got it by the edges of the turret.

It is pretty badass though, to be clear.

This tank isn't slightly more advanced, it's a decade or two more advanced. With the exception of the French Renault F1 tanks were gigantic in size with large crews and no turrets on top, that's a more modern development. Look up the German A7V and you'll see how much more advanced in design that tank WW is holding is.

Costume looks great in that picture. One thing always confused me about Wonder Woman though, is she impervious to harm like superman, or no? I know she blocks bullets with her gauntlets, but in the Justice League cartoon, she took big hits from some heavy hitters, so I never really knew what was up.

She is vulnerable to piercing damage: stabbing, bullets, and arrows. All three have been shown to hurt her in the comics.

- - - Updated - - -

October 1941, to be exact.

(... and Captain America came first in March 1941 :p)

Which is not the 1950's as stated in the comment I was replying to. ;)

I disbelieved, so I went back to check the premiere date for the comic. Consider me schooled. For some reason, I had it in my head as a hard fact she debuted in 1950. *shrug* I dunno where that came from now. I still maintain it's sloppy to have a period piece, rather than update it to now. There's plenty of conflict in the world. No need to go back a century. The first Iron Man movie showed how easily and well the origin can be updated without really changing the essential points. He's still taken hostage, he's still kept in a cave where a scientist named Yinsin helps save his life and build his first suit of armor, which he uses to escape, Rhodey rescues him, and -- his eyes opened -- he begins his crusade. Only now it's Afghanistan rather than Vietnam. All of the other clever bits could have been left in (the revolving door, for instance) and not felt as out-of-place (the "It doesn't go with the outfit" moment, for instance).

Or is it that WWI and WWII were the last times we felt we had a clear bad guy we could vilify without offending anyone?

Anyhoo. That poster? Alex Ross got there first. :p

cdee961f1b7bb367bfeca15cf3f18131.jpg

For a poster, I am actually rather upset they didn't go with some interpretation of the cover of issue #1. Again, I think Alex Ross nailed it with his reenvisioning of the Big Three in Kingdom Come #2...

--Jonah

Movie is good. Good action, good humor and emotion, great acting and the story is very straightforward and not all over the place. Third act is a bit rough however.

I love most of Alex Ross' DC stuff. Kingdom Come is one of the best comics every made. I LOVE that story. The art really makes it though. Alex Ross at his finest in my opinion.

I love most of Alex Ross' DC stuff. Kingdom Come is one of the best comics every made. I LOVE that story. The art really makes it though. Alex Ross at his finest in my opinion.

I love all his included nods in KC -- to the original covers, to long-forgotten characters... and to long-changed costumes. One of the most striking choices in KC was having Superman's chest emblem backed in black rather than yellow -- except it was black when he first got the more familiar chest-emblem shape. When I get far enough down my queue to tackle my custom Kryptonian outfit, I'm going to do the chest emblem backing in black with metallic gold powder mixed in, to kick things up a bit. I need to scan that page from KC #2 where his takes on Detective Comics #27, Action Comics #1, and Wonder Woman #1 were...

--Jonah

I love all his included nods in KC -- to the original covers, to long-forgotten characters... and to long-changed costumes. One of the most striking choices in KC was having Superman's chest emblem backed in black rather than yellow -- except it was black when he first got the more familiar chest-emblem shape. When I get far enough down my queue to tackle my custom Kryptonian outfit, I'm going to do the chest emblem backing in black with metallic gold powder mixed in, to kick things up a bit. I need to scan that page from KC #2 where his takes on Detective Comics #27, Action Comics #1, and Wonder Woman #1 were...

--Jonah
Yeah, there are so many easter eggs. I read it when I was a kid, and didnt know there were quite a few watchman references in there after giving it another go recently. I swear man,I get chills when he comes back on the bridge, the writing is so good, and the art is stunning. Oh man thats going to be awesome!!! Cant wait to see it!

I swear man,I get chills when he comes back on the bridge, the writing is so good, and the art is stunning.

For me, it's the ending. Wrecks me every time.

Oh man thats going to be awesome!!! Cant wait to see it!

*snort* You and me both. :lol Still trying to find someone to do the chest emblem for me. While I have the knowhow, I am just not set up for any sculpting/casting at home. *sigh*

--Jonah

For me, it's the ending. Wrecks me every time.

*snort* You and me both. :lol Still trying to find someone to do the chest emblem for me. While I have the knowhow, I am just not set up for any sculpting/casting at home. *sigh*

--Jonah
Its such an awesome way to end it though!!! Damn. I think you inspired me to re-read it! Aw man. What a bummer. Well, keep me posted on when you do!

ladies only screening at the alamo draft house apparently has people upset..and serves for free advertising for the draft house.

I'd post a link, but don't want it deleted to be seen as trolling smh...

friend saw the movie. said for the move part he liked it, but he think it'll work better when it gets to the justice league era.

ladies only screening at the alamo draft house apparently has people upset..and serves for free advertising for the draft house.

friend saw the movie. said for the move part he liked it, but he think it'll work better when it gets to the justice league era.

I think the only people who are upset are manboys who suffer from profound masculine insecurity and need to harden the f#*k up.

Businesses should feel free to this and you as the consumer can vote with your money if you like their behavior.
I think it is all very honest and up front.

Glad the movie sounds good and a fit for JL.

The one thing this film needs to do (for me) is to have great fighting. Period. And there's a lot of potential in WW for that.
It's a joy to watch a badass character who actually loves to fight. I'm really sick of tormented heroes reluctantly committing violence for the greater good.

As a movie character she's effectively Thor and Captain America rolled into one, but I don't care about that. I want WW to kick butt - I want her to wield that sword and run out of bubble gum. That shot with the knee slide / sword strike is gorgeous because she does it with such authority.

Don't give us the "Please-I-don't-want-to-fight-you-puny-humans-but-I-have-no-choice-because-all-you-understand-is-violence" Wonder Woman.
I want the "You-wanna-dance?-Let's-dance" Wonder Woman.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back