Top 5 Highest Grossing Films of 2016

Bryancd

Master Member
All distributed by Buena Vista aka Disney. That's impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_4536.PNG
    IMG_4536.PNG
    117.9 KB · Views: 124
All distributed by Buena Vista aka Disney. That's impressive.
Agreed. I have seen all of those, just having watched The Jungle Book last night and man, that was a GREAT movie. Seriously, all of those movies were super entertaining. Well done on Disney's part. Im curious to see what they bring for 2017!

Also, as a Marvel Fanboy(for the most part) Im glad they kicked the snot out of DC. :D

Agreed. I have seen all of those, just having watched The Jungle Book last night and man, that was a GREAT movie. Seriously, all of those movies were super entertaining. Well done on Disney's part. Im curious to see what they bring for 2017!

Also, as a Marvel Fanboy(for the most part) Im glad they kicked the snot out of DC. :D

Gaurdians 2, a new Pirates movie, Beauty and the Beast remake, Ep VIII should be another great year.

Gaurdians 2, a new Pirates movie, Beauty and the Beast remake, Ep VIII should be another great year.
I have to say, Im excited for all of those except the pirates ones. Thats a prime example of a story being told with one movie, then it getting a franchise cause it did so well.

This infographic shows Disney's box office dominance in 2016. For comparison, Universal's 2015 was the previous record holder at $2.5B domestic and $6.9B worldwide.
K35nBUY2VIjK0ka6Fgsb2I8oMNEvht5ebtwRvcQjlbzKT13xhH0GSweZL2qF-Q-MiPxdnMOLnxthrOekwGeYCDCusAX5Eg=s0

Disney won't be as dominant in 2017, fewer titles and most of Episode 8 will count towards 2018 receipts. Plus Universal's racking up a lot of their sequels to their 2015 releases this year, WB has a little film called Justice League, and Paramount has a TF film this year. Overall I'd say Disney still has the strongest overall slate this year but probably won't blanket the leader board like they did in 2016.

Disney won't be as dominant in 2017, fewer titles and most of Episode 8 will count towards 2018 receipts. Plus Universal's racking up a lot of their sequels to their 2015 releases this year, WB has a little film called Justice League, and Paramount has a TF film this year. Overall I'd say Disney still has the strongest overall slate this year but probably won't blanket the leader board like they did in 2016.

Agreed, but because of those other films analysts estimate 2017 will be another record year for global box office.

Agreed, but because of those other films analysts estimate 2017 will be another record year for global box office.

I don't think that's a big leap of faith for those analysts considering China just keeps building theaters and the growth in emerging markets :lol Whether or not domestic box office grows is going to be the bigger question. Because Rogue One isn't going to do TFA numbers, the other tentpoles will have a lot of ground to make up this year. If 2017 outpaces 2016 for domestic, it'll be by a smaller percentage. Global is going to continue growing year over year until the China market is mature.

Disney does have quite a bit to offer this year though...

Beauty and the Beast
GotG Vol 2
Cars 3
PotC Dead Men Tell No Tales
Thor Ragnarok
Coco (a Pixar/Disney animated film)
Star Wars

I can see each one of those being north of $500m, with a couple pulling in over $1b.

I think Beauty and the Beast is going to be HUUUGE at the box office. To me it looks amazing. We all know GotG will be a smash, as will Thor (even though Thor is generally the weakest Marvel franchise). Pirates will be a big box office winner even if the film isn't really any good...the last few have proven people pay to see them even when they aren't any good. Cars will bring in quite a bit. Coco is a wildcard, but Pixar stuff usually rakes in the dough.

Theyll also have Rogue One sales that contribute, and I personally wouldn't count out a rerelease of The Force Awakens in November.

Does Disney gain anything financially from their agreement with Sony for Spider-Man?

I can can see it being difficult to replicate the success of 2016, but I personally think they'll be right up there at the end of '17.

I don't think that's a big leap of faith for those analysts considering China just keeps building theaters and the growth in emerging markets :lol Whether or not domestic box office grows is going to be the bigger question. Because Rogue One isn't going to do TFA numbers, the other tentpoles will have a lot of ground to make up this year. If 2017 outpaces 2016 for domestic, it'll be by a smaller percentage. Global is going to continue growing year over year until the China market is mature.

Gaurdian 2 could come close to Rogue One numbers. If it's good.

Disney does have quite a bit to offer this year though...

Beauty and the Beast
GotG Vol 2
Cars 3
PotC Dead Men Tell No Tales
Thor Ragnarok
Coco (a Pixar/Disney animated film)
Star Wars

I can see each one of those being north of $500m, with a couple pulling in over $1b.

I think Beauty and the Beast is going to be HUUUGE at the box office. To me it looks amazing. We all know GotG will be a smash, as will Thor (even though Thor is generally the weakest Marvel franchise). Pirates will be a big box office winner even if the film isn't really any good...the last few have proven people pay to see them even when they aren't any good. Cars will bring in quite a bit. Coco is a wildcard, but Pixar stuff usually rakes in the dough.

Theyll also have Rogue One sales that contribute, and I personally wouldn't count out a rerelease of The Force Awakens in November.

Does Disney gain anything financially from their agreement with Sony for Spider-Man?

I can can see it being difficult to replicate the success of 2016, but I personally think they'll be right up there at the end of '17.

My conservative guesses on Disney's performance:
Rogue One holdover - $400m
Beauty and the Beast - $1b
GotG Vol 2 - $1b
Cars 3 - $600m
PotC Dead Men Tell No Tales - $800m
Thor Ragnarok - $700m
Coco - $700m
SW Ep8 - $1b (through 2017 year end)

That would put Disney's global take at around $6.2b, which is still a fantastic number but lower than their 2016 performance. PotC is likely Disney's Alice Looking Glass for this year, Depp's recent bad press is probably going to hurt the film, so there's downside risk there on my $800m prediction that could offset upside from other films. 2018 is probably going to be the year Disney beats its 2016 numbers, with Ep8 holdover, A:IW, and Han Solo along with other solid performers like the solo Marvel films and Incredibles 2. In fact, 2018 is shaping up to set an industry record, tons of big name tentpole sequels that summer plus Avatar sequel in December.

With Spider-Man Homecoming, Disney doesn't collect anything from the box office, but they keep 100% of merchandising, so that film won't count towards the studio earnings.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back