Is Rogue One OK for kids?

Panaflex

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We're planning on taking our 9 1/2 year old to see Rogue One tonight.
She likes SW and has seen the originals.

I'm just wondering if any parents here could give some opinions on its kid friendliness factor.
I realize this is subjective and I'm not looking for spoilers please, just other parents opinions.

BTW, I'm not hoping for a sanitized movie by any means, just want to know how deeply she'll be scarred. Lol.

Hmm...tough to say without spoilers. 9.5 seems old enough if she is used to Star Wars and other movies. I don't think there is any more violence etc than other movies but there may be some strong feels at the end for her.

The spoiler below is the name of an older movie that is similar that just reflects the main party that may help you out.

Think Dirty Dozen

I would say the violence is the biggest issue but there is no blood and guts, just bodies dropping. Its violence level isn't anymore that you would see on TV

I've literally just told my friend to maybe think about leaving his 2 boys (6 and 8) at home for this one.

The words 'dark and gritty' seem to be used alot and I would agree. Certainly not your cutesy BB8 feeling to this one!

I would say the first hour will lose young kids' interest, as it is very plot/dialogue heavy. I also thought the violence was much more brutal compared to what I've seen before (similar to some of the more extreme stuff Lucas cut out in his newer versions of the OT).

Happy to be proven wrong, however, would be interesting to hear what some of the younger kids' reactions are. They'll probably love it!

I would say the violence is the biggest issue but there is no blood and guts, just bodies dropping. Its violence level isn't anymore that you would see on TV
I need someone else's opinion on what I'm about to say. I'd say that if she has watched ROTS then she should be able to watch through Rogue One. Bodies drop but there is NEVER any blood or guts. ROTS was probably the most violent Star Wars film out there. Anyways, I took the 6 year old to watch it last night and he enjoyed it plenty.

GF's 9yr old daughter got no more than 5min thru the opening scene of TFA before i had to shut it off, but, her mother sort of 'baby's' her soooooo.... think it depends on that, what's she's been exposed to.

GF's 9yr old daughter got no more than 5min thru the opening scene of TFA before i had to shut it off, but, her mother sort of 'baby's' her soooooo.... think it depends on that, what's she's been exposed to.
Like I said, it all depends on the kid. The 6 year old I had with me loved rogue one. Its all up to you. Maybe if you have a friend who watches it first, you could get a review with him/her first. Probably be best to get a review from someone that knows your kid personally.

It definitely depends on the child. I'm planning on taking my older kids (11, 9, 8) and am not too concerned about any battle scenes. I'm more worried about scary looking aliens/creatures but it's a risk we're willing to take.

For comparison, my eldest enjoys Harry Potter and we were thinking of taking him to Fantastic Beasts. My wife and I saw the movie and it was super dark, depressing, and scary at times. We won't let him near that! (also, it's just a bad movie lol).

I've literally just told my friend to maybe think about leaving his 2 boys (6 and 8) at home for this one.

The words 'dark and gritty' seem to be used alot and I would agree. Certainly not your cutesy BB8 feeling to this one!

I would say the first hour will lose young kids' interest, as it is very plot/dialogue heavy. I also thought the violence was much more brutal compared to what I've seen before (similar to some of the more extreme stuff Lucas cut out in his newer versions of the OT).

Happy to be proven wrong, however, would be interesting to hear what some of the younger kids' reactions are. They'll probably love it!

Well I'm taking my 6 yr old to see it and he plays Battlefront so I just hope he doesn't get bored!

IMO it's the most violent SW film overall but the level of violence still stays within its PG13 rating. If your kid is used to seeing war and action content on network TV, then Rogue One will be fine. Surprisingly, there's no dismemberment in this film, least I don't recall any.

Working for me :confused
b35ae0ac0c249ea2a94873a17feb4786.png

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back