Arkham knight Batman cowl from start to finish, or: Stuff you can do with Paper mache

EyeofSauron

Master Member
Well its been quite a while since i posted anything on here, but i am quite proud of this, and thought id share it with you.

In december i decided to make an Arkham knight batsuit with the ultimate goal to make the best version out there. And since the most notable thing about batman is always his cowl, i started with this.

so heres my build for the mask:

gEh5GP7.jpg

first of all, i made a pep file after ripping the 3d model from the game. i debated if i wanted to actually 3d print it, but decided against it because its supposed to be a perfect fit and having no headscan makes it kind of impossible
OZC7e54.png

first attempt at the mask with my makeshift foam headcast, obviously too big
uZuGH0U.jpg

second try looking much better
BPhStWa.jpg
q1gXZds.jpg

happy with the fit, its time for paper mache. Reason for paper mache is that i cant dump resin on my head, and since i glued the mask to my face around the nose area for a perfect fit, paper mache works in keeping it in that shape perfectly without killing me
cLenJ1x.jpg

also made a chin insert for the mask for stability reasons. This was made seperately by wrapping my lower face in cling film, then masking tape on top, and then paper mache. once its dried, i put the mask on ontop of it, drew out the allignment, took everything off, and glued it together. who needs a headcast anyway ;)
jcdvj1k.jpg

filling in the ears because i cant paper mache the inside (since my fingers dont taper to the top ;) ) expanding foam works like a charm
View attachment 701703

once i was satisfied with the coverage and stability of my paper mache (1 layer outside, 3 inside), i covered the thing in paperclay (drywall filler is also fine, but paperclay is more resistant). Top half first so i can still set it down without having to fear warpage, bottom half once top is dry
0ZYFgOZ.jpg

once everything is dry, i draw out all the lines and details for sanding...
FqXAjaX.jpg

sanding is fun, yeeey. 4 hours later all the mayor details are in, obviously not even close to finished with huge potholes and symetry issues :D
View attachment 701706

second pass with paper clay and sanding, slowly getting closer
bhTmvyH.jpg

after a while i noticed that the ears were not symetrical. so i added a bit onto one ear (also small adjustments all over still)
45WUrMY.jpg

after im happy with the basic shape, its time for finetuning. for this i use sprayfiller (3 layers to start out) top part is what it looks like presanding, bottom is after
bckz6E2.jpg

since there was no way i could do the inlay perfectly by hand, i decided to lasercut it. so i drew up the design in illustrator, and off to the lasercutter we went
LcQXFnu.jpg

originally i wanted to use acrylic, but since the helmet has rounded shapes, i didnt feel like heatforming the acrylic in layers and fit everything together perfectly. so i came up with the idea of cereal box cardboard, since its laminated and shiny on one side, easy to glue, and bendable. and a coat of paint makes it perfect.
SSFpIV7.jpg

once im happy with the basic surface, its time to get rid of all those pinholes - spotfiller to the rescue!
A3bLJTh.jpg

after i was actually finished, i was shocked to see one ear was shorter than the other. so i sanded it back down, more filler and shaping!
0h5zUrI.jpg

then the first unlucky thing happened, this was supposed to be the final primer coat, but then the can decided to drip...
View attachment 701714

and as if that wasnt unlucky enough, over night, the mask decided to fall off its stand that its been sitting on through the entire build, and trying to commit suicide. this was the aftermath. i was heartbroken, but i fixed it...
LX9D8O6.jpg

and there you have it, the final result, i really love it. Its still gonna get molded and cast in urethane, but thats the boring part everyone has seen millions of times. I hope you enjoyed this (slightly) alternative build, and heres the finished pictures!

zawOPdB.jpg
uQqEg3a.jpg
fVKU7cp.jpg
View attachment 3dzVkJJ.jpg
View attachment B4aAtuq.jpg
View attachment ueRGt6g.jpg

Re: Arkham knight Batman cowl from start to finish, or: Stuff you can do with Paper m

Its still gonna get molded and cast in urethane, but thats the boring part everyone has seen millions of times. I hope you enjoyed this (slightly) alternative build, and heres the finished pictures!

No, nu-uh. You don't get to make such a nice mask and then quit on the progress photos!

Maybe I missed it, but how did you go about the panel lines? There's a jump between you drawing the lines on and you sanding the surface down and I'm curious what you scribed them with, or how.

Re: Arkham knight Batman cowl from start to finish, or: Stuff you can do with Paper m

No, nu-uh. You don't get to make such a nice mask and then quit on the progress photos!

Maybe I missed it, but how did you go about the panel lines? There's a jump between you drawing the lines on and you sanding the surface down and I'm curious what you scribed them with, or how.

well, its not molded and cast yet, so i cant post pics of it XD the lines are cut in with small files by hand :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back