TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

So for the Maz chest version of the TFA Graflex, could the grip screws possibly be these?

mtmN-viMTuXUgHYRLk7LEdA.jpg

I actually have some of those in 6-32 that I bought off of ebay for boxes that house the extra surveillance wire for my security cameras.

Any chance these cards are still gonna be available?

Hey! :)
Yes, they will. I just bought a bunch of additional acrylic. The whole process is a bit annoying and takes time, but I want at least 50 nice looking cards before I start a sale thread. I figure that some of each batch will be of lesser quality and I want to make sure to sort them out. Sorry that it's taking longer, the last few weeks were a little stressful. I hope to have an update soon!

just saw this limited edition Kellogg's breakfast cereal featuring Rey with Graflex at the local supermarket:

View attachment 695599

a closer look shows that there is a little screw/rivet near the top of the clamp:

View attachment 695600

what do you guys think?

Haha, oh god. At this point I'm just going to ignore that before I go mad. :D
I just checked, we never really got a good look at that part of the saber. Maybe some sort of screw to secure the clamp to the upper half? Maybe their way of fixating the clamp cover to the clamp? I don't know... Maybe Episode VIII will tell.

Guys, I noticed something else... Was this discussed before?
Looks like the clamp cover is upside down on the Wired saber and on the promo pictures. (Take a look at the lever position)

clamps.jpg

---EDIT---
This might just be an optical illusion. I'm just confused why the longer slit is not visible on the movie version, but I figure that's just perspective and I got confused. Move along, move along! :D

Last edited:
quick question-

I knew w this info is probably buried in this theead somewhere but what is the consensus on the grip cutout on the Maz box saber?

How far from the end of the grip does the cutout start?

Whats the size of the cutout?

Thanks!

So for the Maz chest version of the TFA Graflex, could the grip screws possibly be these?

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mtmN-viMTuXUgHYRLk7LEdA.jpg

I actually have some of those in 6-32 that I bought off of ebay for boxes that house the extra surveillance wire for my security cameras.

i strongly strongly believe the maz box saber scene is rivets... i work with rivets every day... im willing to bet my life on it they are rivets

It just makes sense that most of them are rivets. I mean how hard would it be for the prop department to get these complicated and hard to find screws? It's just makes it easier for them to have used rivets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used screws on the ESB saber, why not on the TFA since it's essentially supposed to be the same saber.

I just got in some TORX screws for my builds.
The button heads have a lower profile then the pan heads.

If you plan to mill down the top a bit then the pan head will give you a little more material to work with.

division 6 isn't that still debated too? There were normal screws, rivets and hex screws for ESB right?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think thanks to the launch bay pictures everyone is second guessing themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

@division 6 isn't that still debated too? There were normal screws, rivets and hex screws for ESB right?

we will argue about ESB screws for the rest of our lives lol :darnkids

Wonder why the Launch Bay saber has torx screws.

what ever was in the prop shop i guess? also i think the anti-tamper tore screws, and anti-tamper kobold screws gives it a un earthly appearance. not many people are aware of such screw designs

if they only looked at the screws used in most public bathrooms... 3/4 of the time they are all stainless tamper proof screws

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't it 3D printed? That might be why @DARTH SABER

the graflexs at the lunch bay look like vintage flashes to me. the grips could be originally 3d printed

So who can tells us from Prop shop what the grips were made of?
If they are 3D printed then we could do a run!

to me Roys grips match perfect for TFA. i have yet to see the prop shop grips in person, but i did read somewhere one person complaining about how sloppy the grips were placed on their graflex from prop shop. to the point the track was curved, leading me to believe they are some kind of rubber... idk

again to me if i had the money i would have bought a prop shop graflex. BUT i didnt, and the prop shop graflex isn't 100% screen accurate... check out this review its like the only one on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SFkIVRM19M

at 8:45ish he starts showing the grips real good... again, they used rusty hex cap screws for the grips (those are never shown on screen) all we see on screen is shiny rivets/screws. the kobold to me in the video looks like they used another set of hex cap screws, they dont look like rivets to me. if you check out the bunny ears, the "rivet" for the bunny ears has a hex head screw like the grafted 2.0 and the Romans. the clamp card isn't translucent..and the glass eye knurling is still there

so if your dedicating time and money on replicating the prop shop, believing its the most screen accurate its not. we are still stuck even with our HD bluray screen grabs... there is a few pictures of the saber at the right angle for the track profile, when she's handing it to luke. to me im fine with Roys grips for TFA build

It's aready been established that the prop shop grips were plastic:

The grips were hard plastic or printed plastic - not sure. They were not extruded plastic thats for sure - none of the crispness you'd associate with that. The upright of the T track was parallel (no taper to the top) and met the base of the T track with a tight right angle - no radius like Roy's grips etc. The base of the T track flared in places as if it had, had pressure on it while it was still malleable. Also the length of the T track base was not always straight, some had a misshaped curve.

The lighting in the room is very low, with spots lighting the exhibits so it is very difficult to see things clearly in there. The grips looked like they may have been painted/ powder coated as they seemed to show signs of chipping in places.

Sorry I didn't get to photograph anything else in detail as I had my 5 and 2 year old with me so I couldn't afford for to take my eyes of them for long ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back