World War Z (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for World War Z with spoiler discussion.

This movie is getting released in US and many countries on June 21, while few others are getting it on June 20.

You can find the pre-release thread here.

199924-world-war-z-banner.jpg

I liked it. No spoilers, but It is not a feel good movie. Saw the first showing and my son and I were the only ones in the theater. He loved it.

It is a good movie. It is creepy, dark, terrifying. It is going to bomb in the theater. Sad. I want to support movies like this. No boiler plate script. It is like they were making it up as they went which made it more horrific. It is like a beautifully filmed Cloverfield. It seems like a documentary.

OK one spoiler, the whole world dies, well not quite, but it is really dark.

Pretty much non stop INTENSE from the get go. I liked it. Creepy and dark is a good way to describe it.

With all the rewrites I'm wondering if WWZ saw any of the PS3 game "The last of us" as the zombies/infected in the two had similar movement and sounds.

The actions of our hero at the end were pretty predictible, but it didn't take away from the over all experience for me.

I enjoyed it as well. If your remotely a fan of the zombie genere I think you'll enjoy it. Absolutely dark and intense. Well done to pull off such intensity without showing any gore. I don't think it will do well at the box office as mentioned above. I saw it at the premiere and the majority of teens that I heard afterwords were complaining that it was boring and didn't really show any of the "good stuff", i.e.,blood and guts.

The CGI did not really bother me. I liked the take in this film of the hive mind mentality of the Z's, and enjoyed the swarms. It's ends setting itself up for a sequel, and I do hope we get one. Of course I am still hoping for a HBO mini series more true to the book as well.

It was entertaining, just a shame they didn't make the movie based on the book. But it was cool to see them put South Korea and Jerusalem and the nuke in there.

The ending is weak as all hell, it's like they just decided to stop with no real conclusion at all. What amazes me is apparently from the airplane scene to the end was all re-written. I can't even imagine how bad the original ending to the movie was if all we got was what we did.

Will be seeing it, but I really liked the descriptions in the book. I could tell by the trailers that the zombies did not behave like the ones in the book (speed mostly) - was hoping to see some of that played out, but as the notable MicDavis says, "Bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi".

There was stuff alluded to in the book that they never actually discussed in the book - maybe some of that will be played out on screen. Will be looking for some particulars.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: was the whole Redeker Plan scenario brought into the movie at all?

Having read the synopsis on Wikipedia, it sounds like it could have been an entertaining movie if they hadn't named it "World War Z" I'll be catching it on Netflix, but will not be seeing it in a theater.

And doesn't sounds like the Redeker Plan was involved. Doesn't sound like a single bit of the source material was used.

Yep, it will tank because the real zombie fans/teens want to see blood and gore.
You did not see much on either side. I don't need to see a zombie eating guts, but I do enjoy seeing them blasted.

It never is. The only movie that was worth it was Avatar, but that's because pretty much everything was computer generated so the 3D worked.

Having read the synopsis on Wikipedia, it sounds like it could have been an entertaining movie if they hadn't named it "World War Z" I'll be catching it on Netflix, but will not be seeing it in a theater.

And doesn't sounds like the Redeker Plan was involved. Doesn't sound like a single bit of the source material was used.

I did the same thing and had the same feeling. I am disappointed that they had such great source material and completely disregarded it in everything but the title. Even more disappointed in Brooks being involved in it. I think it's stems because the entire time I was reading the book I just imagined how awesome this could be. When I found out they were actually doing the movie I was excited, cut to today I feel like I was just handed a large scale poor mans 28 days later. Like that woman who was excited she was getting a Toyota and showed up to get a Toy Yoda.

World War Z What I Think

I saw this today and liked it.Not like the book but not a bad flick. Worth the price to me.They say that this might be a franchise Hope so

Saw today and liked it alot. They say this might be a franchise. Hope so.You can't do the book in just one film.. You need a sequel..

I am definitely going to see this, if only because a potion of the film was shot 12 miles from my house. Also, I imagine there is more than One subliminal message about where our future is heading: imperative population cull, one world government etc, etc.....ultimately, the latest in a long line of propaganda films that carry a subliminal message to the masses....

What I think would have been COOL to see in this movie would be Brad Pitt doing the interviews in the book. As someone tells you their story, Brad 'appears' in the flashback of the story, walking around and 'observing' the action as it occurs around him, a 'god like third person' perspective. At certain points in the action, time could 'freeze' where he might stop and ask someone who IS in the action for more details, and that person would essentially become unfrozen and could directly talk to the interviewer. When Brad finishes that part of the question the action 'unfreezes' around him and continues. He does this through the high points of all the important stories in the book.

THAT would have been cool to see. That would have been the RIGHT way to do this movie, not just screw it up.

Serenity: you won't be really missing much if you do not opt for the 3D.
@Kerr, right on! That's why I'm am still holding out hope since the book was not utilized other than title and a few bits here and there that someone will ultimately revisit the book and film it Ken Burns style on a major network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to it on Netflix, when I can watch it without directly giving the producers any money.
Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm boycotting this one more or less on principle, because I absolutely LOVED the book, and this movie is ****ting all over it by taking its name. It's not WWZ.. it's just a zombie movie. And I've seen plenty of those already.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back