Almost Human

I was just watching a small marathon of this on Hulu the other day and my son was "shooting the bad guys" with my old airsoft M92 and was wondering if anyone made kits that I could convert it into a Kennex gun.

As far as accuracy goes, the Kennex is based on the old style Beretta 92 with a frame mounted safety, a trait shared with the Taurus PT92(which is probably the actual gun used) The M9 is a variant of the Beretta 92FS which has a slide mounted safety. If you dont mind those two particulars, it should be a good model to work from.

as stated in the above post, i believe yours is based on the 92F/FS with the slide mounted safety as opposed to the frame mounted safety. Its not a huge issue, but it can also be easily remedied with a bit of carving and a good reference pic.

The guns I used for Kennex's pistol are Taurus PT92AF guns with the safety/de-cocker on the frame. As for the holsters? There are actually 4 different versions of it. See, the material we used on the first holsters was Holstex Mirage Clear. However, the material SUCKS!!!!! It cracks like crazy and the holsters kept breaking. Eventually I re-designed the holster using a carbon fiber back with the Mirage clear in the front and another support piece over that in carbon fiber. I also had adjustable tensions screws as well. On the opposite side, I made a futuristic double magazine pouch assembly to counter the heavy weight of the weapon. After fitting Karl, the holster hung down grip heavy and didn't give Karl the proper degree angle he wanted. So, I went back and designed yet another set of holsters similar to the second version. These looked and worked perfectly. The day I went to send them out, I looked at the holsters and saw another improvement I could include. So, I chopped off the tension screw section and redesigned the holster into a kind of "clamp". Now Karl doesn't have to hold onto his holster while drawing the weapon. He just has to snap the gun down and out. I also formed the rig set to the shape of the rib cage so it fits perfect and comfortable. I finished the rigs before Christmas, so we'll have to wait and see if they make it in the series before the end of film the seasons. :)

And "no", I can't show any pics. LOL

Haha, have you tried making your own snap and rod holster for it? this type of holster was created for guns with under barrel attachments, much like the LAM on the Kennex. the basis of the idea is a holster that only covers the slide, and has a small rod on the bottom with a slight angled cutaway where you can put the barrel on the rod at a 30 degree angle and rock the gun into the holster. it uses a bit of tension locking the slide, and theres a strap with a button that wraps under the trigger guard.

kinda like this:

Fobus Tactical Holster - Glock 21 20 37 RH, Light or Laser FREE S&H GLT21, GLT21RP, GLT21BH, GLT21RB. Fobus Belt Holsters.

but with a rod insert like this:

Versa Carry 380XS YELLOW Holster w/TG Online Gun Store

Your description of the holster you designed, reminds me of Paris Theodore's holster for his ASP pistol. I read about this back in the 80s. Back in the 60s/70s, the ASP was a heavily modified and shortened S&W 39, designed for Intelligence Agents and Detectives/Undercover Officers. He also designed a special shoulder holster for the pistol. It had a horizontal, clam shell configuration, made out of a special plastic. The holster would fit over and cover the top of the slide, with a snap closure in the trigger guard. The weight of the pistol would keep the snap closed, but when you would lift the pistol and give it a slight twist, the snap would open. A tension screw would control the angle of the holster. It was suppose to be a very fast holster to draw from.

David.

My sister is doing a Kennex cosplay for Megacon (and has a VIP pass for getting Karl Urban's autograph!), so I've been helping her with selecting a base gun. Since she never wants to spend a whole lot, we're currently using an Umarex Beretta 90-Two spring airsoft pistol as the base (it's cheaper than the spring PT-92 and comes with a rail) and a $10-15 underbarrel laser that we can build the sci-fi shell around. We're probably going to just have to paint the grips or glue wood to them, since I'm not sure if we could even remove the grip panels on a cheap springer, let alone fit actual wood pistol grips in their place.

This past Monday's episode featured plenty of Kennex holster goodness in the last 5 minutes or so of the show. Wonder if that was on purpose due to Noeland's question? :lol

Whether or not the new holster will make it on camera is up in the air. Filming was suspended - the last day of shooting being Dec. 20th. As it stands right now, season 1 is going to be 13 episodes. There's a chance the show could come back in the spring to complete the back 9, or it could come back to film season 2 in the summer. There's also the possibility that the show will just be cancelled if the bts problems can't be ironed out.

Fox has a nasty habit of taking shows full of promise and that have acquired a loyal fan base and cancelling them... :facepalm

DARN DARN DARN (think a stronger word)

It is Firefly all over again.

I really hope it comes back.

Why is Fox always got a Cranial Anal Inversion??

So what IS the problems?? Cost too much??

Rich

As the above post was redacted this post must also be redacted as it makes no sense with out the other post.

Rich

Last edited:
What have the writers got to do with anything? Did I miss something?

...and did you know Fox is showing all the episodes out of order?

That bit sounds familiar.

...and did you know Fox is showing all the episodes out of order?
That bit sounds familiar.
Corporate rule book:
#1 Fund a project full of promise.
#2 Show episodes out of order.
#3 Blame the product.
#4 Order radical changes in the product.
#5 Blame the product for lack of viewer ship.
#6 Cancel product.
#7 Recoup loss from DVD sale of product.

Short-term thinking rules.:wacko

Corporate rule book:
#1 Fund a project full of promise.
#2 Show episodes out of order.
#3 Blame the product.
#4 Order radical changes in the product.
#5 Blame the product for lack of viewer ship.
#6 Cancel product.
#7 Recoup loss from DVD sale of product.

Short-term thinking rules.:wacko

Wait, wait; you forgot: and change the day of the broadcast and pit the new series against a big mover:facepalm

Great discussion and awesome to see even more fans of the show!! I hope like many other it keeps going as for the weapons on the show HOT DAMN! I have to hope on the band wagon here like many heck ya i would love to have a Kennex gun as well. The photo screen caps are awesome. Simply outstanding Kenny! Understood on the serial and like great mystery some get solved or grow more mysterious... AWESOME!

Just popped in to say I love this show. The bad part is I only watch it online since I never watch original aired TV. I noticed the character arch seemed off a bit watching a few eps over again and being out of order explains that. Love the props and style of the show.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back