"Concept" Phase Weapon by Kenney's Custom Props, LLC

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness "Concept" Phaser by Kenney's Custom Props, LLC

vidman

At first look, it may fit. You may need to dremel a little but I think you're a "go".

Last edited by a moderator:

Two questions: How much would each one cost (either just the parts or fully assembled) and would you consider doing a redesign of the TNG phasers as well?

Final cost on the kits finished. PLEASE head over to the JUNKYARD. Did the best I could on the number, guys.

Kenny, the concept solids look great! I love the targeting image. Maybe someone can turn out some clear decals with that image on it??

Also, I'd like to finish the black portions with some sort of paint that gives it kind of a rubberized grip feel. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want it thin enough so none of the detail is lost.

10110817596_90d3976ac9_z.jpg

For a rubberized grip, just give it a bit of a coating from Tool-Dip, ideally the spray so the details will stay in better.

I'm thinking of putting a blue jewel on the P1 power wheel were there's that dot indent. Sort of a nod to the old P1 with the blue watch crown on it.

Hey Hawaiiangb....... fantastic to hear from you again. Yes... we actually met at two WFs. I was at the one before last but not as a guest.

conceptphaser_P1jewel.jpg

This is what I'm going to do with my Concept Phaser P1. I think the tiny jewel adds an extra subtle nod to the original and looks cool.

I'm also considering leaving the inside extending front nozzle as clear. Would that plastic yellow over time?

Kenney, can we tumble polish the raising P1 clear part? I'd like to laser etch that sighting pattern on to that part. Also, do you have any suggestions about weighting the phaser and what placement for the weighting?

Attachments

• 10110817596_90d3976ac9_z.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Kenney, can we tumble polish the raising P1 clear part? I'd like to laser etch that sighting pattern on to that part.
redshirt

If you can laser etch the sight, I would love to mail mine to you to have the same done, if you wouldn't mind my stealing your idea.

Last edited:

redshirt...... the 3d printed clear plastic will yellow over time if exposed to direct sunlight. Mainly because ultra violet light is what actually cures the plastic. So, with that said.... I would pull a mold off the part and cast it in a clear 2 part resin with UV properties. Smooth On has some good stuff to use. You can laser etch either the Smooth On stuff or the 3d printed part because I do it all the time. As for the jewel.... looks good. FYI... all of those little "indents" on the dial are supposed to light up as you would spin the dial. Basically, increases power. But, It's not etched in stone so you do whatever you want the concept to be like. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to try and tumble polish the plastic. I never did that so I can't give direction on it. It would be nice to know how it works out, though. In any case.... get some mold putty from Smooth On, mix it by hand, and make a quick mold in case you screw up the part. This way you can make more. If I had time, I would cut acrylic, but I don't, so I can't. That's a hint to one of you guys on here. Cogs turning yet?

redshirt...... the 3d printed clear plastic will yellow over time if exposed to direct sunlight. Mainly because ultra violet light is what actually cures the plastic. So, with that said.... I would pull a mold off the part and cast it in a clear 2 part resin with UV properties. Smooth On has some good stuff to use. You can laser etch either the Smooth On stuff or the 3d printed part because I do it all the time. As for the jewel.... looks good. FYI... all of those little "indents" on the dial are supposed to light up as you would spin the dial. Basically, increases power. But, It's not etched in stone so you do whatever you want the concept to be like. :)

Wow, that's even better! Is there way for the light in the body to light up those small square indents if we didn't paint over them if you provide clear parts? It be neat to have a gradient film somehow mounted under the dial to have some reveal to lighting it up as it turns.

It's interesting how this design seems to have satisfied a need in many of us for an updated version of the classic phaser design. I assume many of us were disappointed that this didn't happen with the new Star Trek movies which turned initially to some rather unusual art direction choices. It's fun to see the wheels turning in regards to the various functions suggested by this design.
Does anyone know if some sort of a clearcoat would prevent yellowing of the clear pieces? I'm mostly concerned about that pop-up targeting display.

Hey LabMan.... glad you mentioned that. YES.... is you purchase a can of Krylon clear with UV protectant, it works perfect and your part won't yellow. At least I have treated a ton of stuff I did for the new Godzilla film and that stuff is still looking great and no yellowing. So, I would highly go with that unless you cast a new part. If someone does do a mold and casts their target sight, please think about offering up any updates you do to others here.

red4

******* everything! I worked on that film for months and built all kinds of cool stuff. Don't ask! Oh for the love of GOD don't get anyone started. I can't answer and if I did...... the studio would have a field day with me. All I can say is that I have been excited about several movies I've worked on it the past...... However..... I really loved working on this one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Could you tell us about any mediocre, commonplace items you made? Like, nothing that would spoil details about monsters or the plot?

Sorry brother..... not a peep. There's really isn't anything I could say other than I made a ton TON of stuff

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back