New QMX Phaser from Star Trek Into Darkness

Prop collectors in general probably shouldn't be QMx's market for anything.

Are you suggesting that the quality of their stuff is not good enough for prop collectors? A lot of their stuff is aimed at a mass market but some of their products are really top line, like the Artisan stuff. Their "Tesla" and "Farnsworth" were great though the "Teslas" were made by Kenney so that is to be expected. The Nick Robatto "sonic screwdrivers" were amazing too but also way out of my league price-wise. These items and some others were/are obviously aimed at a different market from the polystone replicas.

And I'd put good money on the better QMx edition costing upwards of $500-1000.

I think you'll find $1000 won't even get you a look in. It will not be a cheap prop. Again it's likely to be made by Kenney if it goes ahead and as a limted run of very detailed work, it will be expensive. However at the moment it's all speculation on our part.

Just got mine today and it looks perfect! What a deal for the price!!

There is definitely some spring loaded part that helps when I turn it from kill to stun. From Stun to kill it seems the magnets take over when it stops. I wonder if there is a right way to turn it, flipping back and forth or just turning it around like a clock?

I don't want to damage anything so I sent my question about this to QMX customer service and will pass the answer on to the thread here.

Last edited:
Hey PeterLC.... nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the kind words about my work.... I try to do my best. :)

OK, so lets talk about the real deal phaser mentioned to be released 2014. I have been in talks with QMX about it. If that does become a reality... the only way to keep costs down is to build the "hero" plastic version I made for the film vs the metal version. The plastic version will have the same exact coatings I used for the film guns so they would look exactly like machined brushed aluminum. Also, they would have the lights and the animatronics. Again, this is all in talks right now. The film guns are very expensive. Another thought would be to build the tear down guns which have the lights but no animatronics. It was the guns I built for the scene where Kirk and Kahn take the parts out of their jetpacks and put them together. (Did I just inform you guys of a scene you more than likely already know all to well? I should know not to try to educate Trek fans.) lol Anyway, the tear down would be way cheaper to build to keep the costs down for you guys.

We'll see.

Kenney, any of your work would be welcome. Your quality is unparralled!

My vote is for the "hero" with servo's. I know the audience would be smaller, but I'd pay the much higher price for it in a heartbeat. So, maybe consider a 2-tier sale?

my vote is for less expensive breakdown gun, as this is all i am liable to be able to afford. rather have something screen-accurate on my shelf than an elusive "all the bells and whistles" hero i can only look at on these forums ;)

Update on mine... I recieved the replacement, and there was no warping!

Buuuuuut it has a large chip taken out of it right on the end of the "barrel" that looks like someone took an ice pic to it.

So I called amazon again, and now my third phaser is now on the way. Fingers crossed.

Update on mine... I recieved the replacement, and there was no warping!
Buuuuuut it has a large chip taken out of it right on the end of the "barrel" that looks like someone took an ice pic to it.
So I called amazon again, and now my third phaser is now on the way. Fingers crossed.

And here I am still waiting on my first and hopefully only boxset to turn up. This is the downside to international shipping.

I went to do an online exchange via the website, and it said that the set are out of stock. did they pull them because of the phaser issues, or are they simply sold out?:thumbsdown

The film guns are very expensive. Another thought would be to build the tear down guns which have the lights but no animatronics. It was the guns I built for the scene where Kirk and Kahn take the parts out of their jetpacks and put them together. (Did I just inform you guys of a scene you more than likely already know all to well? I should know not to try to educate Trek fans.) lol Anyway, the tear down would be way cheaper to build to keep the costs down for you guys.

Kenney, actually the "tear down" guns would be cool with lights and earth magnets connecting the parts. Could we also have the spring-loaded nozzle that we could cock and release via the side button?

The "tear down phaser" would be probably the most affordable and would be probably the most popular too.

I went to do an online exchange via the website, and it said that the set are out of stock. did they pull them because of the phaser issues, or are they simply sold out?:thumbsdown

Contact QMX customer service to see if they have a few extras before those get snapped up, if they even have any.

Last edited:

I spoke to an Amazon rep today, and was told that they may have more in 2 weeks. Hopefully this is true, and we will be able to exchange our defective items.

I got word back from QMX today on the nozzle rotation. It can be rotated both ways, meaning it can go clockwise or counterclockwise without issue.

I hope I can return mine out of the box the red nozzle looked like the nozzle front of barrel was melted and the switch feature is lopsided do I have to ship the whole set back to amazon cause I kind of wanted to watch the movie tonight only day off and was planning on it OH WELL

Well I received mine today which was actually pretty quickly for international shipping. There is minimal warping and a tiny flaw in the nozzle. It doesn't lock into place perfectly straight but can be moved slightly to straighten it. All in all it isn't enough to send it back.

A side note regrding digital copies. What a rip-off. Not redeemable outside of the US. No wonder people download pirate copies of stuff.

You only get one in the boxset - no spares. I think the "damaged" ones have to be sent back when you get a replacement.

Good luck getting an exchange on one of these.. Amazon is out of them and QMX just doesn't seem to care. Doesn't seem like QMX has any desire to work with Amazon in the future (or anyone else, the way they're going). Their quality control sure has its problems... I'll stick with Diamond Select any day.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back