Star-Lord Map Scanner Device

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since I saw Guardians for the first of many times, I wanted to make two things, the first was the Orb as it would go nicely with the Tesseract and the next was the device Peter Quill used to find that Orb.
Marvel released an image some time back of the actual prop with a view of the underside which was handy as it gave an indication that there was practical lighting used in the prop as there was a battery access panel.
I was able to get hold of some screengrabs from the scene where Quill uses the device for the first time. I could see there were two cut outs on the prop and two pairs of holes/recessed circles.
I jumped straight into my program of choice, Corel Draw and drew up plans, transferred those to 2mm thick Styrene sheet and got started. I had to put the project on the back burner as I was working on some Star Trek props on another forum, finishing up a few more casts of the Infinity Stone Orb and the Coulson Toolbox Cube from Agents of SHIELD Season 1 and 2 http://www.therpf.com/f75/marvel-shield-toolbox-prop-nick-fury-director-coulson-1st-run-done-227200/

This was the furthest I got with Star-Lord's Map scanner.

I decided it would be much more efficient to and convenient to use a 3D program to model the scanner, as I'm a bit of perfectionist and if both sides weren't symmetrical I wouldn't be happy.
I've been working on the scanner using my handmade scratch-build as a template for the 3D model.
Here's the result so far of the front half.

I plan on using some cool refracting LEDS to give the front area a more dynamic look when projecting the blue light rather than standard 8mm Blue LEDs, as you can see in the image above it gives a cool effect.

My plan is to get this and the Aether Container from the button scene from Thor: The Dark World done before Christmas....nothing like a deadline to focus your efforts.

Would love to have one of these myself. It's the one prop most people seem to be uninterested in acquiring.

Blue Lights? I thought the device projected a red overlay.

It was both, actually. For the most part the imagery was blue, but some structures were projected in red. A very significant structure was red as Quill got closer to the orb room.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back