Interstellar (Post-release)

I saw it last night and am still trying to figure out what I just saw.
the theater had the volume for Hans's score so loud that in some scenes the dialogue was drowned out.

it was like that here as well, so i think it was meant to be that way, and i kind of liked it. gave me goosebumps when the music swelled up to become so intense.

Chris Nolan likes to play with theories on the perception of Time in his screenplays, and he certainly does so with Interstellar -there are periods in this film where time seems to slow down to an absolute crawl , not only for the hands ticking on the wristwatch on screen, but also for me checking my own in the cinema.
Firstly its not at all bad, it just isn’t as brilliantly good as I expected it to be and it's logic is horribly flawed in a few places. And unfortunately there was just nothing excitingly “new” done with the story here ,indeed there were some very deliberate steals from a lot of other similar sci-fi films and that was disappointing. Oh, and there were some very silly decisions taken once again by very bright scientists doing stupid things just for the sake of adding drama to the plot.
I’ll admit I had some misgivings about the trailer a few posts back ,it just didn’t seem to punch the "right on" buttons for me and I’m sorry to say for the majority of the film that this was just as true. There are some great moments here but overall the pacing was so off throughout it, particularly at the end it made a nonsense of the entire story.
So I went into this very spoiler and review free as I did with “Inception” and that film remains one of my all time favourites,as it was absolutely thrilling and very moving in parts . Sadly “Interstellar“ tries to copy far too many of the themes from that film and therefore comes across as simply a weaker retelling, rather than a brand new work.
Secondly, the science in this is pretty poor in places and just so plain wrong and ridiculous in others I can’t tell you how many times this pulled me right out of the movie, even from the very moment it started. I am often very willing to let some things slip by if the story is good enough to hold my attention and role with it but this didn’t so many times for so many reasons that as a result the rest of screenplay just failed to hold my attention and interest. At one point it felt as if I was watching two separate movies.
Visually its OK. Just OK by today’s very high standards . Not ground breaking. Some have said it exceeds “Gravity” but I don’t see that at all. The soundtrack is ,as has been said, WAY too loud. I actually had to put my fingers in my ears at one or two points ,presumably to stop them rupturing from the volume and I could still feel the vibration throughout my body. And it was far too obtrusive at key moments of dialogue, drowning out a lot of the drama. And you needed to listen to what was being said here, there was just so much clunky Basil exposition.
I had only had one real issue with the acting, which was competant throughout and that was because that actor was just the wrong person to use at that particular moment in the film and his role and actions were so predictable as a result of his appearance I knew what was coming a mile off.
I could go on but I won’t without giving much more away to those who want to see it . I think if people approach this less as a hard sci-fi themed story of space exploration and go with expectations of more of a meta physical drama about human relationships through time travel it will work better for them. I won’t being see this again because I’ve already seen and read work that does it much better.

Last edited:
By far Nolan's worst film. Tries to be too smart. The narrative is horrible in the first act, and the third act is just ridiculous. Original? Yes. True Science Fiction? Yes. Good? Not so much.

Oh dear, I feel a kind of Promethean argument gathering here. That they managed to make a model of a Blackhole that is perhaps the best simulation so far was not a problem for me, it looked great. However, its what happened around and in it that was. No real spoilers here (including that whooper at the end) but this is the best summary I've found so far for some of the basic science faults with the film :

http://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...llar-astrophysics-does-space-science-work-out

Let me reiterate. I have a real problem with films that are science fiction that TRY so hard to pass off all the sci fi elements as fact. That annoys me more than anything on this Earth (and probably the Universe in general).

By the time they entered the event horizon I thought I was watching a remake of 2001 A Space Odyssey. The idea that another being is guiding our actions to evolve and save our species is common in both films. Interstellar obviously resolves the question of who is guiding events whereas 2001 never reveals the who or why to the audience.

The transition into the black hole immediately reminded me of Dave entered the object orbiting Jupiter. I even started to expect he was going to end up in a room when the the timelines appeared around him.

The science holes did not bother me but I tend to suspend my beliefs in a cinema to be entertained by the narrative. However, the biggest plot hole is how did they construct enough stations to save the population. The first one was under construction when we first see it and building continues unabated throughout the timeline. I struggle to see how they could build other stations in the time until earth no longer sustains life.

The visuals are good but nothing that made me wish I'd paid extra to see it on IMAX.

Overall a pleasant experience but not a movie that would draw me back again and again like Gravity or 2001.

Saw it in IMAX. The visuals were all worth the ticket price. Tars was an added bonus. Loved his humor. Also got a laugh from the Hal reference. Thought Case was also awesome. Enjoyed the character of Cooper, not so much his children. For some reason Murph really annoyed me with a lot of her dialog.

Maaatt Daaaaamon (in my best Team America) voice was odd. Topher Grace holding a tire jack. Lol. What was he really going to do?! Nolan really does have a sense of humor.

Overall did not hit me like I was expecting. Worth a viewing, but I can't see myself watching it again or wanting to own it.

Last edited:
(Edit: misunderstood you but wanted to pimp my infographics anyway. :) )

The lunar module is probably an old Revell or Monogram model. At first I thought it was the Dragon 1:48 built model, but from the closeups it looks like one of the kits.

The shuttle and toy on the dusty shelves are found objects as well.

I look forward to freeze framing the Blu Ray to see the titles of all Murph's books! Stephen King's THE STAND jumped out at me.

Regarding the miniatures made for the film:

The Ranger and lander were 3-D printed! So yeah they looked amazing.

My inevitable "Spaceships of Interstellar" infographic

http://www.space.com/27694-interstellar-movie-spaceships-infographic.html

And "Science of Interstellar"

http://www.space.com/27692-science-of-interstellar-infographic.html

Last edited:
Saw it last night and loved it. Interestingly, I have a hard time noticing props when I watch a film. I get into the story too much.

I thought the human egg/sperm thing was cool. Plan B.

The Ranger and lander were 3-D printed! So yeah they looked amazing.

Ok, so as the lead model maker on Interstellar, let me clear up a couple things. The Landers and Rangers were NOT 3D printed. The main bodies of the 1:15 scale Landers and Rangers, and the 1:5 scale Rangers were cnc routed out of foam. Then a lot of hand work went into finessing the shape, followed by a lot of work adding surface detail, scribe lines, parts etc. They were then molded, and cast around armatures. There's a lot more work after that, but maybe they'll cover it in the Cinefex article. There were printed parts, as well as laser cut parts used on the Rangers and the Landers, as well as on the 1:15 scale Endurance that we built. In all 9 months of hard work by a lot of people.

Production also built a full size, or nearly full size Lander and Ranger. But that was a different company and I don't know much about those.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back