Expert opinions wanted... Blade Runner script - real deal or don't think so?

luke moonwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So a little out of my depth with script collecting, but got the Blade Runner bug and I stumbled on this supposed Script from 1980, My searches are turning up several different variations and also info about production copies, printers copies, etc. I know these would be easy to fake, but it didn't go for an unreasonable amount and thought this one had enough going for it to chance it. Will be able to get better pics when I get it in hand, but at a glance, wondering if any BR collectors or script collectors had any thoughts or could help me out?

br1.jpg
br2.jpg
br3.jpg

And while Google images turned up a bunch of different script cover styles and drafts... here is one that sold on Screenused.com. Different binding, but the details seem to match. I trust Desi and Jeff, but am sure someone could slip one by them too, and also that this image would make it pretty easy to reproduce,
BRscript1.jpg
http://www.screenused.com/?sectionID=item-detail&subsectionID=index.cfm&item_id=2068

Thanks for looking and any input :thumbsup

Last edited:
I have very little to contribute since I know barely anything about this topic, but one thing I can say is that it is usually rare (though not completely unheard of) for production scripts to have any type of logos or artwork on the cover page - they are almost always typed in the same face as the rest of the script. To me, that seems out of place. But I wasn't involved in the film, so what do I know.
This would be an amazing score if authentic :D The condition certainly looks cool!

I have very little to contribute since I know barely anything about this topic, but one thing I can say is that it is usually rare (though not completely unheard of) for production scripts to have any type of logos or artwork on the cover page - they are almost always typed in the same face as the rest of the script. To me, that seems out of place. But I wasn't involved in the film, so what do I know.
This would be an amazing score if authentic :D The condition certainly looks cool!

Yeah... that's kind of why I tend to shy away from posters and other paper stuff from anyone I don't know. Too easy to print one out, or for an ages old convention dealer special to be forgotten and passed off as original... some times unknowingly. The Screenused.com listing is what got me to take a chance. Also that this went pretty cheap. :)

I've never even looked into it... do original scripts fetch a lot of money?

I know it's slightly different today, but the film I'm editing on now, I've got 8 versions of the script next to me... all printed out by me... There hasn't ever been what I'd call an official or shooting script that one could sell at auction 30 years from now. But even if there was a locked official shooting script, it seems funny that something you run through a printer or photocopier, bind, and eat your lunch over would ever fetch any money.

Definitely think like everything else it's completely subjective and worth whatever someone is willing to pay. That would depend on the movie/who's it was/notes/revisions etc.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, was poking around Propsummit and found a thread which mentioned a Velo bound script.... which is what this one has. Also linked to this site...

http://www.ridleyville.com/#Studio / Production used items

Looks like a score :)

I'm no expert but wouldn't you expect the script to bear the working title, "Dangerous Days"?

Missed this question... Yes, as the revisions progressed, the title changes appear in the scripts as well. If you look at the link above, there are several scripts from various stages from pre-production through shooting. It looks like the ones dated January of 1980 were titled Dangerous Days. In those 11-12 months between that draft and the December 1980 draft it looks like is when the title change took place. Kinda cool to see that evolution too.

Last edited:

When I was a PA back in the 90's, my experience was the exact opposite. Not ALL scripts had anything other than courier on the front cover, but I saw plenty of bound scripts that had some kind of interesting font used. Not at all unusual. This may not be the case today, but years ago, it was common place.

I have this one, and I am pretty sure it is not real. It is old though, and may have been printed at the same places they print the ones for the studios. It is most definitely not a shooting script though, and the only ones worth real money have to have provenance with them from someone from production. I have copies of some shooting scripts and even some early drafts, which I think this was made from. Remember the print houses that printed the originals could print more if wanted, just as many of the promo photos could be printed from a set of negatives at any time. Getting one with hand printed notations and signed by someone on staff gives it real value. Still this one is one of the earlier printings and doesn't have all the issues copies of copies of copies have. It is kind of like getting an early recast of one of the stunt guns. Not original, but closer to it than most.

Andy

androidandy,
How are you? This is my first post here.
You have a copy of Blade Runner 12.22.1980? I am a big fan and have heard good things about this draft. Did you scan It? Is it possible to get a copy? I have a pretty good pdf script library. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never even looked into it... do original scripts fetch a lot of money?

I know it's slightly different today, but the film I'm editing on now, I've got 8 versions of the script next to me... all printed out by me... There hasn't ever been what I'd call an official or shooting script that one could sell at auction 30 years from now. But even if there was a locked official shooting script, it seems funny that something you run through a printer or photocopier, bind, and eat your lunch over would ever fetch any money.

What drafts do you have? If you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
@androidandy,
How are you? This is my first post here.
You have a copy of Blade Runner 12.22.1980? I am a big fan and have heard good things about this draft. Did you scan It? Is it possible to get a copy? I have a pretty good pdf script library. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

What drafts do you have? If you don't mind me asking?

I don't technically have any drafts, and at the same time, all of them.

Over the course of the movie there was a new script every couple of weeks, with minor sequence changes, and always just PDF's I would print out myself.

I'm sure in live action it's slightly different since the actors and everyone involved in the shoot needs a copy, and it's maybe watermarked or on paper that can't be photocopied, but again, original scripts just feel like nonsense to me cuz they're easily printable, and constantly changing.

The only script I have that is a live action shooting script is for an episode from Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. My friend worked at Vancouver Film Studios and just grabbed it off the hood of a viper on the way out of the door one day.

That she grabbed it from a viper, was cool enough reason to keep it.

I don't technically have any drafts, and at the same time, all of them.

Over the course of the movie there was a new script every couple of weeks, with minor sequence changes, and always just PDF's I would print out myself.

I'm sure in live action it's slightly different since the actors and everyone involved in the shoot needs a copy, and it's maybe watermarked or on paper that can't be photocopied, but again, original scripts just feel like nonsense to me cuz they're easily printable, and constantly changing.

The only script I have that is a live action shooting script is for an episode from Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. My friend worked at Vancouver Film Studios and just grabbed it off the hood of a viper on the way out of the door one day.

That she grabbed it from a viper, was cool enough reason to keep it.

First, that's stealing.
Second, that's awesome! :lol

Biggest reason I'd want a BR shooting script -- or the draft immediately before -- is to see the unaltered scene sequence and any of the "Mary" material/lines.

So a little out of my depth with script collecting, but got the Blade Runner bug and I stumbled on this supposed Script from 1980, My searches are turning up several different variations and also info about production copies, printers copies, etc. I know these would be easy to fake, but it didn't go for an unreasonable amount and thought this one had enough going for it to chance it. Will be able to get better pics when I get it in hand, but at a glance, wondering if any BR collectors or script collectors had any thoughts or could help me out?

View attachment 380261
View attachment 380262
View attachment 380263

And while Google images turned up a bunch of different script cover styles and drafts... here is one that sold on Screenused.com. Different binding, but the details seem to match. I trust Desi and Jeff, but am sure someone could slip one by them too, and also that this image would make it pretty easy to reproduce,
View attachment 380264
http://www.screenused.com/?sectionID=item-detail&subsectionID=index.cfm&item_id=2068

Thanks for looking and any input :thumbsup

Have you scanned this script? If you haven't would you? Are you a screenplay collector?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back