Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

not sure if I should post it in this thread or start a new one.

while browsing through ebay, I came a across a seller in Australia who is selling his own replica Graflex, looking at his Facebook page, looks like he also does custom FX sabers as well.

the photos of the Graflex were pretty grainy so I can't really tell if they are good or not, I did a quick search on thee RPF but there were no mention of him anywhere.

anyone had any experience with this person and his work? (not sure if I am allowed to post his ebay/facebook links or not)

Thanks Scott! So long knurl button, smooth pins and folmer no patent. I'll be doing some mixing and matching tonight. It's really hard not to obsess because I'm quite OCD and such great research has been done by the fellows here. But you're right at some point I have to draw a line for my sanity and pocketbook.

There's just no telling what the set dressers and prop guys did with the parts on hand. We know lots of stuff was cycled and recycled, and there's no reason to think parts got mixed and matched. Heck... take the bizzaro han blaster... WTF.

Plus those guys don't even recall things correctly. So we're all doing best guesses based on evidence.

Thanks Scott! So long knurl button, smooth pins and folmer no patent. I'll be doing some mixing and matching tonight. It's really hard not to obsess because I'm quite OCD and such great research has been done by the fellows here. But you're right at some point I have to draw a line for my sanity and pocketbook.

Sanity, what's that? Now don't forget the thin lip!
The pocketbook is a serious problem with the current market for 3 cells. I feel very lucky to have gotten what I have when I did.
For the wampa cave saber you have a perfect handle on what parts to use. In fact those specs, long knurled button, smooth pins, folmer no patent(with thin lip), hold true for both the anh and esb sabers. Based on the evidence we currently have, if you stick to that formula and throw in the shiny plated lever with the non machined pin, you will be able to match any reference photo and scene from anh and esb.
Good luck with your mixing and matching, and any future searches. Time and patience.
And hey if you have a folmer bottom with a pat number, bingo prefect ranch saber bottom.
Have a manufactured by graflex bottom? Boom, you can start a tfa build.
With as hard, meaning expensive, as these are to come by now days I'd recommend a little patience and careful thought when permanently converting a 3 cell, bottom tube in particular.
But I'm a huge supporter of doing what you can with what you've got. Search, buy, build, assess, maybe sell, and repeat until you have something you're happy with. I'm on graflex number 8 and 9, and luke v2 number 5. Pretty sure these next ones of each will be the ones I keep, but I say that everytime.

I know this is a long shot, but someone asked on another thread and it got me curious. For those who want to buy the 2.0 kit just as a display piece with no electronics, the sound holes in the base of the hilt can be an eyesore. Is there anywhere that sells alternative end caps, either just plain metal or with the graflex stamp?

Yes, someone on fx sabers makes them. I made one for someone here a few months ago. I have 3 2 cells I have started playing around with to cut and make a cap. I will post pictures when I can, but I am slammed with work and school for the next couple weeks, I just got a new toy, so I may try some engraving on a blank one.

There's not reason you can't find a decent 3 cell with button and eye (complete) for around $400. I've found three 3 cells and three 2 cells since mid February, haven't paid over $400 for any of the 3 cells and over $240 for the 2 cells. Time is your friend when looking for a Graflex.

I know this is a long shot, but someone asked on another thread and it got me curious. For those who want to buy the 2.0 kit just as a display piece with no electronics, the sound holes in the base of the hilt can be an eyesore. Is there anywhere that sells alternative end caps, either just plain metal or with the graflex stamp?

Wow 400 for a decent 3 cell? Where have you been looking? Good ones on eBay are now hitting 600-900. I mean mean good ones without corrosion.

Yes, someone on fx sabers makes them. I made one for someone here a few months ago. I have 3 2 cells I have started playing around with to cut and make a cap. I will post pictures when I can, but I am slammed with work and school for the next couple weeks, I just got a new toy, so I may try some engraving on a blank one.

There's not reason you can't find a decent 3 cell with button and eye (complete) for around $400. I've found three 3 cells and three 2 cells since mid February, haven't paid over $400 for any of the 3 cells and over $240 for the 2 cells. Time is your friend when looking for a Graflex.

Heh... there was a time not too long ago in a galaxy not too far away where I though $200 was exorbitant for a 3-cell and $100 was the norm for a 2-cell...

Any chance you can point me in the right direction? I don't think I have it in by budget to buy a 3 or 2 cell. Even just a blank one without sound holes is fine.

Actually it may have been Vader on the IRA. I thought the first one I was talking about charged like $22 or $24, so Vader is a lower price option. His are$5.50 plus shipping from the UK

They are meant for the TFA but would work for an ESB also.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction? I don't think I have it in by budget to buy a 3 or 2 cell. Even just a blank one without sound holes is fine.

A flood of dead-on, perfect replicas does nothing but tank the hobby. Think about this - suppose you thought you had a saber built on an authentic graflex, then one day, you find out it's built on a superior replica. All of a sudden, the "specialness" of your saber just goes away. Go to any Rolex forum and see how they feel about people with the knock-offs that are damn near perfect, for 1/20th the price.

I'll even give you an example from my personal experience. My Luke ANH is an authentic vintage graflex. I bought at a small pawn shop in eastern PA, for $10 plus tax. Because of it's heritage, it's probably one of my most cherished props. My luke ESB, is built on an authentic graflex 2 cell, that I got at a flea market in south Jersey, for $5. The bottom half is a BB&B salt shaker conversion and the second red button is a replica. I like the saber, but I don't care all that much about it, even though it was my first graflex. My ANH and ESB Vaders are both Park sabers. Even though they are perfect replicas, they don't mean a thing to me, because I know they're not real flash handles. Imagine how annoyed I'd be if I thought that, when I did purchase them, they were authentic, only to find out later, that they weren't.

this is interesting, and I don't mean to step on Fred's toes, but I've been meaning to acquire a Graflex for a saber conversion, after seeing all the great job people here and in other forums do these days, now, I DON'T CARE if it is a replica, or an original, I want a good looking Graflex for an appropriate price, not the 600 dollar-insanity they are charging now at ebay! I am not sure replicas "tanks the hobby", we are collecting lightsabers, "the weapon of a Jedi Knight.....a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age" not just buying antique photography pieces; I'm not in the antiquity collecting hobby, but in the Star Wars Props hobby, so, if it is original or replica I couldn't care less, what I do care is attention to detail. Because of this rage for "real Graflex" it has made it impossible for me (and maybe other people) to get an original one, now I look for replicas or even vacuum cleaner tubes to convert to "similar looking" Graflex to get want I wanted to get.

Don't get me wrong, if Fred wants an original one for his lightsaber, by all means my friend go ahead and get it, and I hope you find it and are really happy; but replicas target a niche of the market that is more interested in lightsabers than vintage photography pieces for lightsabers. I saw yesterday a Master Replicas FX Luke Lightsaber and the "Graflex" details are so bad (even though it is MR) that I realized that Artists like Slothfurnace are doing even better lightsabers using replicas or original Graflex than the Prop Companies, which furthers my point: it is a lightsaber! it's worth (In My Humble Opinion) is on the details of the weapon not if it was made by the Graflex Company or not.

I also think a flood of dead-on replicas brings good to the hobby.
It will take the pressure of the market - and ruins the prices for those wanna benefit from the actual situation. :devil :angel

I´m glad i have my main sabers from real, but for the less important ones like the TFA, ROTS, or even a Starkiller saber i could be satisfied with the use of a replica.

I think the concern is more that people will get tricked into buying something because it is represented falsely. Prime example: this is a live auction, but can post due to the fact that it is a misleading. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/301943032628

This is a Larbel, not a vintage flashgun. The description clearly says vintage flashgun but replica lightsaber. No mention of replica flashgun.

I think the concern is more that people will get tricked into buying something because it is represented falsely. Prime example: this is a live auction, but can post due to the fact that it is a misleading. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/301943032628

This is a Larbel, not a vintage flashgun. The description clearly says vintage flashgun but replica lightsaber. No mention of replica flashgun.

Wow, deplorable. Thanks for posting this one Chris.

Yeah. Just saw this on eBay. Anyone can tell if they're educated but it's the poor guy who doesn't do his research and not detail oriented that will be fooled. I mean the seller probably doesn't even know it's a fake. He posted a picture of the end cap enscription that clearly says "made PB graflex" not "made BY graflex".

Just POST about this within the auctions FAQ section to warn potential buyers!

Thats not how eBay works. The seller gets to decide which questions get posted there.

If he doesn't know - I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt - I'm sure he'd like to update his listing before somebody buys it and files a complaint against him.

*edit* I messaged him.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got lucky and bought a Graflex for a "reasonable" (compared to what they sell for nowadays) price. I read this entire thread to make sure I can spot all the clues, but I would really appreciate someone with more Graflex knowledge to take a look at the following pictures. I know they are pretty bad, I had to pull them from the eBay auction. :)
Do you think it is an original?

$_57-6.JPG$_57-5.JPG$_57-4.JPG$_57-3.JPG$_57-2.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back