Premiere Props Suckness continues!!

bolsoncerrado

http://www.icollecto...-Mask_i16266564

Premiere Sucks said:
The grand prize was one of the actual screen used Bane masks from the production.

vs

http://www.yourprops...12-YP60664.html

WB Contest Winner said:
I won a very nice and rarly item at an online competition in cooperation with Warner Brothers.
This is an original "replica" from the Bane Mask used in Batman - The Dark Night Rises.

+

http://www.ebay.com/...em=330786885365

There MUST be a way to report this blatant FRAUD!!

Yeah, I saw that the other day. Blew my mind cause i recall reading about that mask before on here. total BS people pull at times

Dawn, from Premiere Props wrote a friend of mine, asking that her email be passed on to me that I might pass this on to you. I have offered a couple of times for Premiere Props to post here on the RPF, as they are clearly aware of us, but it doesn't seem that they want to go that route. With that being said, I want to be clear that I am ONLY passing on the content of Dawn's email (with the header and closer removed) and am in no way speaking for or on behalf of Premiere Props. I don't have any further information on this matter (and didn't even know this situation existed until I got the email) and I am not in a position to pass information back and forth. So, with that being said, here is what Dawn had to say regarding the issues brought up regarding the Bane mask:

We wanted to let everyone know that we have authenticated the Bane Mask and would not have put it in the manner we did if we thought it was replica. So we have added to the description if it helps.

Any help you can give us to alert collectors of this would be much appreciated. Here is our updated description:

Director Christopher Nolan completed his epic Batman trilogy with the monumental "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012), which included the villainous character from the classic comics, Bane (Tom Hardy). And without a doubt, Bane's "life-saving" mask became an instant iconic piece of movie memorabilia! In the movie, Bane is savagely beaten in prison while trying to save a girl's life. Doctors perform complicated surgery on him, which allows him to walk, but leaves him in intense completely debilitating horrific pain. So much so, that he must forever wear a special mask that continually induces an anesthetic into his blood and lungs. Of course this "mask" gives Bane the appearance of some kind of monster, or perhaps a life-size alien insect. The mask instantly became one of the most sought after collectables from the trilogy. Many replicas have been created, but screen used originals have been hard to come by. One of these originals became available when Warner Brothers staged a contest to publicize the release of the "Dark Knight Rises" DVD and Blu-Ray. The grand prize was one of the actual screen used Bane masks from the production. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MASK IS FROM THE WARNER BROS. AMERICAN CONTEST WHICH WAS CREATED TO PROMOTE THE RELEASE OF THE BLU RAY VERSION. THE WARNER CONTRACT STATES SPECIFICALLY THAT THIS MASK IS "FROM THE MOVIE" AND IS NOT A REPLICA. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN OTHER FOREIGN CONTESTS WHICH MAY HAVE CAUSED SOME CONFUSION. This is that grand prize, which was shipped in a specially made plexiglass display case and life-size rubber head bust which sits on a clear plexiglass column stand. The mask comes with all the documentation from the Warner Brother's contest, and the prize fulfillment company, as well as a Letter of Provenience from the original contest winner. A true treasured collectable! (Display case comes with a black base and clear plexiglass removable cover and is approx 14"x22"x14". The mask sits snugly on a full-size black head bust which is approx 13"x7"). Please note that there is a crack at the bottom of the back of the plexiglass lid which was there when the mask was originally shipped to the contest winner by the contest prize fulfillment company. It has no effect whatsoever on the integrity of the mask itself. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT PREMIERE PROPS.

It would be much appreciated if you could pass along to Art or the forum since we hear there is a lot of questions and speculation about this Bane Mask.

Thank you,
Dawn
Premiere Props
PremiereProps.com
(310) 322-7767

Interesting. I'm a little confused though. For the record, I still own the one that was posted on yourprops (by the guy who eventually sold it to me). And it is identical in every way to the one being auctioned off next month. Even the plexi case looks the same. My paperwork is minimal though.
So where's the controversy? Is it that it was thought that this upcoming auction was for mine which has not really been authenticated?

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I'm a little confused though. For the record, I still own the one that was posted on yourprops (by the guy who eventually sold it to me). And it is identical in every way to the one being auctioned off next month. Even the plexi case looks the same. My paperwork is minimal though.
So where's the controversy? Is it that it was thought that this upcoming auction was for mine which has not really been authenticated?

They were trying to sell it as screen used and not one made for a competition to promote the film.

Im glad I could get the ball rolling on this last night. Nuff said, at least on this piece.

When it comes to PP there is never enough said.

Couldn't they put all this to rest by posting an image of the contest announcement as well as the vital portion of the paperwork that the winner received that states the piece is screen used?

All we have now, in this further clarification, is the claim "We (Premiere Props) have authenticated" which to me, with their past misdeeds, holds no water at all. As I posted on the MPF, there are bogus items already listed in the preview on icollector regardless of the outcome on this one.

rick

EDIT: typo

When it comes to PP there is never enough said.

Couldn't they put all this to rest by posting an image of the contest announcement as well as the vital portion of the paperwork that the winner received that states the piece is screen used?

All we have now, in this further clarification, is the claim "We (Premiere Props) have authenticated" which to me, with their past misdeeds, holds no water at all. As I posted on the MPF, there are bogus items already listed in the preview on icollector regardless of the outcome on this one.

rick

EDIT: typo

Right, and in fact, they mention that WB paperwork states "it's from the movie"... which does not mean screen used, otherwise why the sentence above?

Or in other words, creating another mask form the same molds after production wrapped could mean "from the movie" as well....

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MASK IS FROM THE WARNER BROS. AMERICAN CONTEST WHICH WAS CREATED TO PROMOTE THE RELEASE OF THE BLU RAY VERSION. T[U said:
THE WARNER CONTRACT STATES SPECIFICALLY THAT THIS MASK IS "FROM THE MOVIE" AND IS NOT A REPLICA.[/U] THERE MAY HAVE BEEN OTHER FOREIGN CONTESTS WHICH MAY HAVE CAUSED SOME CONFUSION

Right, and in fact, they mention that WB paperwork states "it's from the movie"... which does not mean screen used, otherwise why the sentence above?

Or in other words, creating another mask form the same molds after production wrapped could mean "from the movie" as well....

I have the advert saved from the Warner Bros (America) Sweepstake and it clearly states replica -

Attachments

• darkknightsweeptakes3.png
    darkknightsweeptakes3.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 636
Oh I understand a little better now. I was unaware of Premiere's history which helps put this in perspective. ;)

I think the term "replica" for these masks is a bit deceiving as well. Unless I am thinking of it wrong, I see a replica as a fan sculpt. A reasonable facsimile of the original. Which my mask and the one up for auction are clearly not. They are minimum pulled from the same molds.

Premiere is in the business for the money, hence, using the word "screen used" when its a REPLICA, either from the original molds or fan made makes no difference, as value is totally different. You will have the uttermost perfect replica, yes, but still, a replica, a non-screen used item.

See all the Terminator T-800 busts "made from the same molds used in Stan Winston for the iconic skeleton"? Try finding a screen used one and compare prices...

If now the original CryoCan used in the rain scenes of the first movie would appear on the market, its status would be less than "horrible" in sthetic terms. As opposite, you have Rylo's PERFECT replica of the CryoCan.... but you wont be able to match the price of the screen used one no matter how balded it is...

I think the term "replica" for these masks is a bit deceiving as well. Unless I am thinking of it wrong, I see a replica as a fan sculpt. A reasonable facsimile of the original. Which my mask and the one up for auction are clearly not. They are minimum pulled from the same molds.

This is an interesting point, but like bolsoncerrado, I have to disagree. There is certainly a fuzzy line (that I think a number of prop dealers and individual sellers take advantage of) when it comes to "production made" pieces or pieces made at the time of production. No matter what, a piece that is claimed to be made at the time of production is not the same as a screen used piece (although there may not physically be any difference at all).

And a piece from an original mold is still a replica, no matter what. I have a Donnie Darko, Frank mold that was claimed to have been used in production. I don't know if that is necessarily true or not, but what I do know is that the pulls we took from it match the screen used mask down to the last airbubble. While I could probably pass off one of my pieces as an original, no matter what, it will ALWAYS be a REPLICA, regardless of how close it is to the originals. To put a price tag to what Alex is saying, my replicas originally sold for less than $1k. The last screen used Frank mask that looks EXACTLY like my replicas, sold for $25k...

Last edited:
Appreciate the education and clarity, gents. :thumbsup Your Frank example makes a lot of sense, Art.

For what it is worth, my paperwork clearly says "replica." And there is an additional letter but it is in German and I haven't had it translated yet. If anyone is interested in seeing them let me know. I'd like to watermark them before posting them publicly.

It is worth noting, from a fan's POV (as opposed to a financial POV), at least for me, I look at the Frank replica I have and I am perfectly satisfied with it, knowing it is as close to an original as I am ever likely to own. I am sure you feel the same way about your Bane mask. You know what it is. You know it was sourced from the original. The fact that it isn't screen used... meh... who cares? How many people can say they have a Bane mask like yours?

Admittedly, we have gotten a bit off track here and off the original intent which was about repliacs being passed off as originals.

Appreciate the education and clarity, gents. :thumbsup Your Frank example makes a lot of sense, Art.

For what it is worth, my paperwork clearly says "replica." And there is an additional letter but it is in German and I haven't had it translated yet. If anyone is interested in seeing them let me know. I'd like to watermark them before posting them publicly.

I am 100% of the same mindset.

It is worth noting, from a fan's POV (as opposed to a financial POV), at least for me, I look at the Frank replica I have and I am perfectly satisfied with it, knowing it is as close to an original as I am ever likely to own. I am sure you feel the same way about your Bane mask. You know what it is. You know it was sourced from the original. The fact that it isn't screen used... meh... who cares? How many people can say they have a Bane mask like yours?

Admittedly, we have gotten a bit off track here and off the original intent which was about repliacs being passed off as originals.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back