The Good/Bad/Ugly man with no name costume

had a little "facebook" pose as well. A little kitty was on my lap but she kept hiding under the poncho.

5b5h5v.jpg

Yes, I'm necroposting, come and get me!!!

I've just started working on this costume for Halloween as I've never seen it "out" before. Now, I understand that accuracy is king on the RPF but for me, there are just some things that are close enough. I sourced some of the things in this thread and the two most expensive things (for me) will be the poncho and the belt rig, which will be about 160.00 together. My goal is to complete this for no more than 300.00 and still get the un mistakable look. I don't think anybody at a bar will be too concerned if the proper shade of the poncho is right or if my hat has a hole in it. I'll post pics as pieces start to come in and get everybody's opinion.
In order to wear the gun in the bar, I think I'll modify a toy gun and paint the barrel pink (as it will remain in the holster anyway). Thoughts?

Yes, I'm necroposting, come and get me!!!

I've just started working on this costume for Halloween as I've never seen it "out" before. Now, I understand that accuracy is king on the RPF but for me, there are just some things that are close enough. I sourced some of the things in this thread and the two most expensive things (for me) will be the poncho and the belt rig, which will be about 160.00 together. My goal is to complete this for no more than 300.00 and still get the un mistakable look. I don't think anybody at a bar will be too concerned if the proper shade of the poncho is right or if my hat has a hole in it. I'll post pics as pieces start to come in and get everybody's opinion.
In order to wear the gun in the bar, I think I'll modify a toy gun and paint the barrel pink (as it will remain in the holster anyway). Thoughts?

meh, angel eyes shot the hell out of blondie's hat so it should have holes in it.

Source of this info tidbit?

Any chance you could update your previous posts with the original photos since they no longer appear?

I had been working on some western films at the time of the original post and met an old timer thats a western film/tv historian. He helped source a slew of items and information as he is part of that inner circle of the old guard, so to say. He has been working for the past ten years on a series of books with props, wardrobe, production material, stories... but something always seems to come up and stop work on those books more often than not. GBU has some pages in those books including long lost props and wardrobe pictures and info. One of the things I scored out of all that research was the hatband itself as its made by the old timer thats supposed to have made the original for the film. If I recall its supposed to be a silver tongued snake with blades along its body. The info about the vest being made from a jacket came from the same source. One issue with information is the source is not always correct as over time things that happened in passing tend to get muddled with fan info. And we know the fans are aaallllways right. With the hat itself I was told the brim was altered with new stitching and tiny cuts/slices to get that shape. Its one of those things that once you see it you cant unsee it.

The hat brim stitching in a screen cap.

vlcsnap-2012-07-13-01h16m55s207.png

These should be the missing images from the thread as best as I can recall.
DSC034061.jpg

DSC034131.jpg

DSC034201.jpg

DSC040431.jpg

IMG_61311.jpg

and the cartridge conversion Colt Navy's, an original and an Uberti I had on loan for casting. These are well worn and prop used.

IMG_59401.jpg

and the cast in color parts, all these parts are from the mould, no paint.

IMG_61207.jpg

IMG_61441.jpg

IMG_61591.jpg

IMG_63331.jpg

IMG_63551.jpg

IMG_63761.jpg

test fitment of the cast parts with various cast in color grips. Worth noting that Colt SA grips DO indeed fit the Colt Navy frame in size. But the Colt Navy has a one piece grip that attaches within the frame itself. The Colt SA has grips as a left and right pair. I simply moulded the grips flat and attached them. I did end up moulding one piece Colt Navy grips for the Hateful8 as a faux ivory. Not difficult but not worth it unless its to be used on real steel.

DSC041641.jpg

These bone grip castings are made from those off a Colt SA. They fit pretty good.

DSC041581.jpg

I've located an excellent replica of the hatband from "Staker Custom Hats". Cost was $30. (Best replica I've ever seen.)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back