Game of Thrones

Whoa. So Oberyn will offer himself in place of Tyrion? Tyrion really pumped me up this episode. Hopefully we see Oberyn stepping in, but I'm curious to see his reason...Well, I guess a chance to fight the Mountain is as good as any.

How many trials by combat will Tyrion request next season?!:lol

Whoa. So Oberyn will offer himself in place of Tyrion? Tyrion really pumped me up this episode. Hopefully we see Oberyn stepping in, but I'm curious to see his reason...Well, I guess a chance to fight the Mountain is as good as any.

How many trials by combat will Tyrion request next season?!:lol

Oberyn will probably volunteer to fight for Tyrion once it gets announced that the Mountain will fight for Cersei. The reason being that he'd get a chance to slay his sister's murderer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Here's a thought about Shae's move last night. I honestly don't remember her motivation from the book, but...

I can't tell who got to her: Cersei or Tywin. Her statements sound like Cersei's words, frankly. Blunt, unsubtle, and direct. Damning, to be sure, but sounding more like the words of a puppet than genuine testimony.

What I can't tell, however, is Shae's motivation. On the one hand, the books (as I recall) made it sound like the results of a woman scorned. On the other, I wonder if leverage was applied to her, convincing her that if she said what she'd said, Tyrion would be spared to take the black. On the show...with Sibel Kekhili's acting, it was far more ambiguous (which I think is a testament to her astoundingly good acting chops). Anyone recall how it plays in the books? I mean, without spoiling where that particular storyline goes, or at least warning folks before posting.

Here's a thought about Shae's move last night. I honestly don't remember her motivation from the book, but...

I can't tell who got to her: Cersei or Tywin. Her statements sound like Cersei's words, frankly. Blunt, unsubtle, and direct. Damning, to be sure, but sounding more like the words of a puppet than genuine testimony.

What I can't tell, however, is Shae's motivation. On the one hand, the books (as I recall) made it sound like the results of a woman scorned. On the other, I wonder if leverage was applied to her, convincing her that if she said what she'd said, Tyrion would be spared to take the black. On the show...with Sibel Kekhili's acting, it was far more ambiguous (which I think is a testament to her astoundingly good acting chops). Anyone recall how it plays in the books? I mean, without spoiling where that particular storyline goes, or at least warning folks before posting.

As I recall in the books her motivation came off as a simple she's a prostitute (apparently can't use the five-letter word on the board), she sold him out for money. That was the read I got off it anyway, that Tyrion might have had some genuine feelings for her since he kept her around for so long, but for her it was just a job and a better offer came along. There may have been some leverage used against her, but it wasn't personal when she betrayed Tyrion.

The show obviously spent this season telegraphing that they'd have a falling out and that she was jealous and feeling scorned so now she has a chance to get back at Tyrion. They may have threatened her life, or it may just be a "he hurt you, how'd you like to hurt him back?" kind of deal in addition to paying her off. As for who got to her, it was one of Cersei's maids that saw Shae, so I'd assume it was Cersei. Cersei is hellbent on making sure that Tyrion dies and would be the more likely candidate for having everyone but Varys perjure themselves on the stand. There'd be no point to Tywin making the deal with Jamie and then trotting out Shae if he had any suspicion that seeing her and hearing her "testimony" might set Tyrion off.

Once we see Shae the next time we may get a better feel for her motives, if Tyrion lets her get a word in ;)

I didn't think it was necessarily that she was jealous it was the way Tyrion treated her when he was telling her to leave. I can't remember exactly if he called her a wh*re, I thought so, but basically he went from treating her like an equal to a lesser person.

I was glad Tyrion finally told everyone off because I was hoping he wasn't just going to go along with his dad's plan. Anyone else think Charles Dance (Tywin) would make a great Star Wars actor? He'd be a perfect Imperial officer or Moff!

Hmm...

FINALLY!!! A look at Braavos. I guess all big banks look the same, no matter what universe you're in.
Daenerys is getting a feel for the consequences of rule.
Theon... I mean Reek... is deep in the clutches of Stockholm Syndrome (and frankly, right where he should be).
Ramsey Snow is not just sadistic... he's a downright frightening combatant.
A woman scorned, and Tyrion has had enough. It was subtle, but did anyone else see pride and admiration in Tywin's eyes when Tyrion demanded a trial by combat? I sure did...
Jaime's becoming more honorable by the second.
I love how Varys subtly hinted at Oberyn that if he focused his attentions, he could take the Iron Throne.

EDIT: While Tyrion's intentions when he sent Shae away were honorable and born of love (he was trying to save her life), he went about it the exact wrong way. Never anger a woman who holds your affections, nor one who holds your secrets. DEFINITELY don't do it to one that holds both, because it will come back and bite you in the backside at the worst possible moment.

I just now noticed this after a second viewing. The necklace that Sansa wore that contained the poison. Didn't Littlefinger take it from her and destroy it after Sansa was taken aboard his ship? And then it showed up again as evidence during Pycelle's testimony at Tyrion's trial. Am I missing something?

There'd be no point to Tywin making the deal with Jamie and then trotting out Shae if he had any suspicion that seeing her and hearing her "testimony" might set Tyrion off.

I think his point was accomplished perfectly. Jaime takes his rightful spot, and he still gets to execute Tyrion.

Jaime cut the deal to spare Tyrion's life, Jaime isn't going to give Tywin what he wants if Tyrion is executed.

This.

Jaime said that if Tywin would spare Tyrion's life, he'd take over as the Lannister heir. If Tyrion dies, the deal's off and Jaime has no reason to honor his part of the bargain. Tywin can't make him give up his duties or he would've done so already. Jaime only has (A) his own honor, and (B) what he gets out of the deal to give him a reason to quit the Kingsguard. He can maintain his honor (Tywin didn't spare Tyrion, so he didn't live up to his part of the bargain), and he gets nothing out of it if Tyrion dies, so why honor an unfulfilled promise?

Tyrion's been involved with many prostitutes and avoided getting attached after his disasterous marriage to Tysha. Tywin had precisely zero reason to expect that Shae would be any different.

Tywin has never thought Tyrion anything other than a degenerate so why would he ever expect him to see Shae as anything other than, to paraphrase Varys, a collection of entertaining holes. He certainly never expected Tyrion to actually be in love with her.

I don't think it unreasonable for Tywin to expect that Tyrion might react badly to the wh*re he'd kept on retainer for years perjuring herself on the witness stand regardless of whatever feelings Tyrion might have. By this point Tywin should have a decent handle on what could make Tyrion snap and do something stupid.

There's no evidence that Tywin actively wants Tyrion dead. Sure, he hates the Imp, but Tyrion is still a Lannister. Cersei on the other hand has been pulling out all the stops trying to get Tyrion convicted and executed. The only conclusion is that she's the one who got to Shae to turn on Tyrion.

It's really no different from when she pulls the same basic play against Margaery in aFFC/aDoD. Of course the deal with Jaime never happened in the books, but aSoS doesn't have enough material for two seasons so they have to pad it out some.

I just came across an article, an actual published article, not just a blog post, trying to predict what's going to happen and whether this might be the end of Tyrion. Are there really that many people out there who don't realize that the books exist? That a good percentage of the show's viewers, its biggest fans and followers, already know what's going to happen for the next two or three seasons? Boggles the mind, trying to speculate on something that one could look up in ten seconds on Google and Wikipedia.

Anyway, episode talk (book spoilers):

I hope Shae's story plays out the same way it did in the book, or at least to the same end.

FWIW, I just re-read part of the chapter regarding the trial. Tyrion had considered trial by combat before the trial even began, but he knew that Cersei would name the Mountain as her champion. Bronn bowed out, and he didn't have anyone else, so he pretty much gave up on the idea. Oberyn was the one that approached him and made the offer to stand as champion. Tyrion's outburst didn't come until after that, so he already had a champion, although he and Oberyn were the only ones that knew it.

Should be interesting to see how they play out the fight. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Although Oberyn has definitely grown on me these last few episodes. Pedro Pascal, who I've never even seen before now that I'm aware of, has made him a memorable character. I'll miss him.. hehe.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back