Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic...

propsculptor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I found this great photo of the Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" & thought everone would enjoy it :D
09-XXbdc.jpeg

http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/buildi...l/09-XXbdc.html

<div class='quotetop'>(micdavis @ Oct 5 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]1332146[/snapback]</div>
I made to Disney/MGM a bunch of years agoa and saw it there.

It is my understanding it was destroyed.

A real shame.
[/b]

I agree, that is a real shame. They should just give stuff away for those who wood give them a good home. I wouldn't have mind of having that bulldog sign myself.

I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the tour. I don't know if it was destroyed but I'd bet it was. The black and white Gee Bee racer *is* still on the tour and it's falling apart. The Hughes autogiro is also on the backlot tour and it's in even worse shape. These are sitting near the decaying corpse of Blue Thunder.

Why they bother taking people on a tour of these items they let sit and decay is beyond me. The typical comments I see from people are always along the lines of how trashy this stuff looks because it's been sitting out in the weather for so long and all of it is falling apart. New items have been added like the red spherical shuttle from Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm sure in a couple of years, it'll start to look just as bad as the rest of the stuff.

Pretty sad really...

I wish I'd have gone on the tour when the Bulldog was still there. :(

yeah, it's been gone from the tour for a long, long time. It probably was falling apart. I think it was pretty much just plaster and chicken wire.

The Roger Rabbit streetcar (dressed up bus) has been gone a while, too, come to think of it. It, too, was looking pretty sad after a while.

Let's not forget how the Star wars spaceships went down.

Was this bulldog building 1:1 scale? The few times that I saiw it, it seemed too small to fit people in. It just seemed bigger in the movie. I always tought it was a miniature vercion.

It was definitely too small to fit a diner in, but I think it was just supposed to be an entrance facade, not the entire diner building.

Just for reference, you'd probably be surprised by just how small the interior of that diner actually was though I believe the interiors were built and shot in separate locations from the exterior set. For that matter, the Bulldog used in the movie was located in California as were nearly all of the sets and locations so if that Bulldog was at the Florida MGM tour, I can only assume it was taken apart and moved...

When the movie came out, I know they had a LOT of the stuff on display at Disney World. They had an entire display room promoting the film with a lot of the costumes and props in addition to stuff like the full size autogiro and black and white GeeBee in addition to scale versions of the same.

The Florida MGM backlot tour is just a shadow of what it used to be. It's very short, and not even worth waiting in line for anymore.

:thumbsdown

I should add that in the original comic, it was apparent that it was indeed the entire diner. But the setpiece...well, movie magic.

<div class='quotetop'>(GuntahKela @ Oct 6 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1333119[/snapback]</div>
Let's not forget how the Star wars spaceships went down.

Was this bulldog building 1:1 scale? The few times that I saiw it, it seemed too small to fit people in. It just seemed bigger in the movie. I always tought it was a miniature vercion.
[/b]

how did the sw ships go down?? :confused

I was at MGM last week and the Bulldog was not there. Cliffs black and white Geebee was part of the tour.Its in real bad shape.

The SW ships (a snowspeeder missing the cannons and a few other details) and the sail barge skiff (slightly better condition), sat in the tour's boneyard for a few years, deteriorating like everything else. Then they were moved to outside Star Tours but in the same degraded condition. Eventually they were "restored" with new paintjobs and details (new inaccurate cannons on the speeder).

But still left outside. I haven't been there in about 3 years but they were still there and in okay shape at that time.

Here's the GeeBee as it is now and the Hughes autogiro. You can see Blue Thunder behind the autogiro. I found these on Flickr...

Keep in mind, both of these are mockups - not real planes. Only the yellow and black GeeBee had a real plane that doubled for it.

[attachmentid=10414]
[attachmentid=10415]

It's gotta be from something though I don't have the slightest clue. If you go to flickr.com and search for "mgm tour" you can see a few fairly recent pics of stuff... granted you've got a flip through some pages of honeymoon pics, etc. but it's interesting. You can see the red sphere shuttle from Hitchhiker's Guide, a yellow mini-sub (maybe from that Bill Murray flick Steve Zissou or whatever it was called) and the spaceship from Disney's Flight of the navigator.

That's actually a Baraccuda, not a Duster.

Interesting enough, I almost bought the blue Camaro from the Burt Reynolds movie COP AND A HALF when they had it offered for sale. It was in decent shape but the one thing that kept me from buying it was the fact they spray painted the entire interior in grey primer... and this is not made up, they actually told me this... so that the black child-actor would show up better. :rolleyes

Was the interior originally black? Or white? Because it can be a photography/lighting challenge with people of darker skin.

I think it was black because the primer is scraped off in a few scenes.

I just thought it was a funny story given the "problem" the crew had concerning...um...shot clarity. :rolleyes

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back