Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

OK so good news / bad news...

Good news: the new, redone dish looks great

Bad news: As suspected, I still need to redo the outer rim

Was hopinhg to get away without having to redo it; hoping it would blend well enough. But there are/is:
--Masking tape residue
--Far too robust detail strips
--Off-color paint due to yellowed clear coat
--And more

So a complete redo of the out rim is necessary. As I suspected it would be.

Also...

Now that the center disc is re-installed (after a complete re-examination of the dish in general), I am nearly positive the original center disc was a concave dish just as the main dish. Mine is not. Mine is (and shall remain) a flat disc. Yes, it alters the overall look, but I'm not redoing it again, and I'll just consider it a "tell"...

033014 001.jpg

033014 002.jpg

I realize the darker grey strip at the 7:00 position of the center disc is mis-aligned. Eff it... I can't fix it at this point, other than painting it light grey again so it doesn't pop as much.

Last edited:
Got 3/4 of the outer ring "cleaned" today. Will do the rest tomorrow, then get the new detail strips applied later in the week and hopefull paint (finish!) this weekend.

In other news...

The more I look at it the more I am convinced the center disc on the original was concave (as mentioned). I can do a concave one. If I want too. I may after all else is done. The disc is in securely, but I could remove and replace it fairly easy.

As said earlier, if you don't fix it it'll bug you incessantly. You're too much of a perfectionist to let it slide. It might be next year, but you'll fix it. :)

I agree Rob and I think that will change the entire look of that dish. The center disk does look too flat after these latest pics of the original you posted. I think the effort will pay off big time. :)

S'more eye candy...

Got the detailing on the outer ring done.

Again, shockingly more accurate than it was before. Don't think I have any bubbles. Hope my sanding grain is gone...

040614 002.jpg

Last edited:
As said earlier, if you don't fix it it'll bug you incessantly. You're too much of a perfectionist to let it slide. It might be next year, but you'll fix it. :)

I agree Rob and I think that will change the entire look of that dish. The center disk does look too flat after these latest pics of the original you posted. I think the effort will pay off big time. :)
and it's your call of course as to change (or not) that center piece;)

I think I may try darkening the center ring of the center disc (god I'm creating my own lexicon with this project!), by adding a few more radial pencil lines. Don't really think the original had that many here, but it fits the overall design theme, and may help create an illusion of concavity.

If I still don't like it, then I can build a new disc later. After I retire...

Last edited:
Doesnt work Rob, cant see the attachment.

Your new dish is awesome, details are crisp, it really does make a difference with the first one !

Love it :)

looks great Rob. Too bad you don't have a large enough drill bit to taper that center disk without removing it. That would simplify life. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back