2-1B Surgical Droid

There should be a section at the front of the neck where you can try it out first

Without risking the whole piece.

Just wondering how flexible the varnish is for getting the neck into the head, hopefully it will be fine.

No spraying for me today, frosty outside :angry

Last edited:
What do you guys think of these impromptu eye details?

View attachment 571185 View attachment 571191

Shenphong, I used duplicolor light blue metallic and Avignon blue metallic. Found them at o'reilys auto parts.

View attachment 571186

Light blue first then Avignon misted over it. It was still a bit too bright so I misted silver on top of that to take out the blue a bit. Then dark gray in a very light mist to dull it all down. Got it too dark so I missed the blues again very lightly.

exactly the two paints I used. Exactly. And silver over it.

Here's some better pics of mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451631166.082726.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451631181.041263.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451631190.630173.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451631199.550836.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451631210.373161.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right I have been experimenting, tried different varnishes inside to give the less transparent look.

The fine scotch pad comes out the winner in my opinion. Sorry no pics at the moment.

Just fitted a neck and waiting for the fixing points to cure up.

z

I thought maybe some steel wool or very fine sand paper would work really well, but honestly I got lazy. trying to get an even finish with all the grooves didn't sound very fun so I just sprayed it with matte. done in 5 seconds! LOL.

I'm 99% sure the metal bits are Michell turntable parts as many of the aluminum greeblies are in the classic trilogy.
The cone shaped pieces pointed to in green are pieces from a Michell sweep arm.
253449623_o.jpgsweep_1.jpg
The cylinder piece to the right of it is from another Michell sweep arm
The bristle holding piece on this one...
a675_12.JPG

Pen parts are a good substitute though.
I made by blue and clear greeblie from pen parts, but I'm still pretty sure the real piece is a push button.

BTW - I think it's been discussed before, but the main chin greeblie is a PL-259 connector.
PL259-300x225.jpg
Behind it is a small knurled thumbscrew from the top of a Michell tone arm...
$T2eC16JHJIYE9qUcNbUqBQQ8OkzBig~~60_58.JPG

I think the greeblies inside the mouth are TomTit grills and not the V8 pistons...do you have any if those to test this theory?

what do they look like markus?

edit********, is it the grill part that goes on the front of a han blaster? if so i already had a look at those and the 'bars' looked too big

i do see a step in the bars inside the mouth grill just like the han blaster part though.

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure the metal bits are Michell turntable parts as many of the aluminum greeblies are in the classic trilogy.
The cone shaped pieces pointed to in green are pieces from a Michell sweep arm.
View attachment 572593View attachment 572594
The cylinder piece to the right of it is from another Michell sweep arm
The bristle holding piece on this one...
View attachment 572595

Pen parts are a good substitute though.
I made by blue and clear greeblie from pen parts, but I'm still pretty sure the real piece is a push button.

you're probably right chris for the cone shaped things but for the 259 connector i just can't see how that works? i have one here but it doesn't look like the item on the droid.

okay i've had another look, my 259 connector has a narrow end which is wrong.
its this part here on a google images 259 connector that sticks out of the mic housing

Attachments

• endprep0.jpg
    endprep0.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
okay i've had another look, my 259 connector has a narrow end which is wrong.
its this part here on a google images 259 connector that sticks out of the mic housing

Right, just the bit indicated by the bracketed line sticks out.

Here's a current photo that shows it a bit more clearly... (hose was replaced obviously)

21b_mouth_now.jpg

Here's an ESB era closeup. If you look closely just to the right of the PL-259 piece you can see the knurled Michell thumbscrew (the thumbscrew is missing in pic above, but you can see the hole for it).
I never figured out the "comb" looking piece they used for hiding the microphone text.
21b_mouth_esb.jpg

Hey guys .. after my 2-1B got his neck, 9D9 got jealous .. talked to Chris and decided to offer the 9D9 neck to fit his head!
Check my interest thread if you're interested!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back