Flexible Paint for EVA foam?

I recently got some paint which is used for bouncy castles here in the Uk ,inflatable things kids play on at parties so sure you have them in the US. Was from an e bay seller here but might be worth a search , I painted foam with it and leather boots and it worked great , the company can mix you any colour on their charts or you can mix your own with this set-
Bouncy Castle / Inflatable PVC Paint 250ml ONLY ** on eBay (end time 13-Mar-11 12:10:06 GMT)

So, I shouldn't use the Mod Podge first? I was planning to cover a foam model I was making with a few coats, and then cover that with paint.

I've checked out Boysen and it looks like promising stuff. The only thing is that a lot of their products are acrylic based and are what you are referring to as "acrylic emulsions", such as acrytex, roofguard, permacoat, elasti-kote, primeguard, acqua epoxy... :-/

Do you by any chance know what line of the boysen brand? (It should be one of the ones listed above)
Also, do you guys add anything to the paint or do you apply straight from can to foam?
Thanks!

ive found a place that sells flexbond by the 5 gal pail. dont know a price till tuesday.
so i would like to know what paint would work best over it?

I've used run-of-the-mill krylon spraypaint after two coats of Flexibond and it works great! It even still bends without cracking!

049e0655.jpg

I'm intrigued to find out that Flexibond is latex + glue mixed. I suppose the price is worth it not to have to mix it myself. $36 a gallon is on par with latex anyway.

Acrylic spray paint surely will do the trick? I use it on leather and have used it straight on EVA and it flexes well enough that I can wrap it around my finger.

Rattle cans are not all the same, I just wish stores and actually even the cans would say what they are. Enamel, Acrylic enamel, lacquer... they react so differently.

Then again I still go into fabric stores to find nubbly polyester labeled as linen.. *cries*.

Nice to see Design Master does say that it is lacquer based. That does have some flex and you can get a lacquer based paint from auto stores. If Oz is anything like NZ then that's going to be your best (and cheapest) bet. Though I think some time has passed sine the OP so I don't know if a solution was found.

Definitely some fantastic ideas and suggestion around here. And if I knew what the Aussie equivalents of these products were I'd probably try them! :p

For sealing EVA foam I've simply been using 1:1 mix ratio of liquid latex and PVA wood glue (I think it may have been mentioned previously) and just paint over that. Still really experimenting with just how many layers are needed to make it as durable as it can be but I'm getting there!

wow, liquid latex is damn expensive in canada. looking at $20 cdn for 500 ml bottle.
i used to do spfx makeup, mostly zombies, and had to get out of it cause of the costs.

what i was told by the rosco rep, was to mix 75% flex bond and 25% black primer to get the paint job i want for the foam. basically, tint the flex bond with primer. since we use grey pad, it should work fine.

@ trenchy - rosco canada should ship to you, at least i would think. its $40 cdn for a 1 gal paint can. you know the normal size for house paint.

Rosco Australia

wow, liquid latex is damn expensive in canada. looking at $20 cdn for 500 ml bottle.
i used to do spfx makeup, mostly zombies, and had to get out of it cause of the costs.

what i was told by the rosco rep, was to mix 75% flex bond and 25% black primer to get the paint job i want for the foam. basically, tint the flex bond with primer. since we use grey pad, it should work fine.

@ trenchy - rosco canada should ship to you, at least i would think. its $40 cdn for a 1 gal paint can. you know the normal size for house paint.

Rosco Australia

You can order latex cheaper than that from Sculpture Supply Canada. They're in Toronto. ;)

I assume you ordered the Flex bond and didn't pick it up at a retail location?

i ordered it though a store. the only stock in warehouse because of the expiry dates.
and i think $40 is pretty good. enough to do about 4 full suits

go on the rosco canada site and they have a list of stores that carry it.
and you want the bond, not the coat. coat/ 1 gal. and is $60 and fire resistant..

Ouch! I don't know what the conversion rates are but I only pay about AUS$11 for 500mL

And isn't there a difference between the type of latex used for make-up applications and the type used for more robust things like masks etc (that gives off ammonia)? If so I buy the latter. :p

Rosco Australia

Cool, thanks for the link. May look into it.

I must admit I'm pretty happy with the method I'm using at the moment as it's pretty inexpensive. I'm also the type that likes to buy local in these sorts of things so if I run out I can just pop by the local hardware store or whatnot and buy more. No waiting for delivery (coz I'm VERY impatient LOL)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back