The Walking Dead Season 5 Discussion (Spoilers)

I recently finished catching up on the show because I just had the pleasure of working on it. It was a great experience and a lot of fun. Sadly, I'm not permitted to discuss details beyond that but I am enjoying this thread. I will say, as a prop enthusiast, that I had a ball trying all of the casts weapons.

TELL US EVERYTHING!!!

Don't worry about your job.

Going back a few posts, a vaccine that would prevent you from becoming a walker is key to the over-all survival of humanity. Right now it doesn't matter how secure you are, as seen in the prison, one person dies of natural causes or disease, BOOM you have a walker loose within your perimeter, and let's face it, human beings aren't designed to run at peak alertness etc. all the time.

Again, even if Eugene was telling the truth, a cure wouldn't benefit anyone at this point. Even if you cure those who are still alive, you've still got millions in the U.S. alone that can still kill you and eat you (and let's not forget about the thousands of human beings still alive who can also still kill you, and other of the thousands of things that can still kill you that the environment has). Like I said, if there was a cure, it would only have been useful only during the first two weeks of the zombie outbreak. Now, a cure is pointless, even if someone knows how to cure it. The damage that can be done via the virus has been done and can't be reversed. So, it doesn't really change any dynamics and is not a great departure from the comics as it seems.

But like I said, it was a weird idea that popped into my head that I wanted to share. And my opinion could very well be wrong. And most likely is knowing me.

I'll have to admit, I've seen my fair share of Friends, but I don't recall ever hearing this joke in the show. This is the first time I can admit I've heard it. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
That's a good point, I've never thought of that before. It's been since the CDC that we've gotten a feel for anything going on outside of the main character group.

I agree. I was talking about this with my dad when I went over to watch it last night. We were saying that surely there are military units still around that survived. They would know areas where there was equipment to get. I'd kind of like to see them find an actual friendly, non-cannibal specops team that is still around. I say specops because they would probably have the best skills for moving around covertly.

Another thing that bugs me, besides Maggie's unbelievable lack of care for the whereabouts of her sister, is that no one has really mentioned what is going on with the walkers. Besides the governor's scientist guy, we haven't really heard of any observations on what is happening with the walkers mobility, capabilities, etc. at this point. The only thing we have heard is from people working on the show on Talking Dead who said the older walkers only see blurry shapes now. You'd think people would be figuring this out on the show to help them out.

I agree. I was talking about this with my dad when I went over to watch it last night. We were saying that surely there are military units still around that survived. They would know areas where there was equipment to get. I'd kind of like to see them find an actual friendly, non-cannibal specops team that is still around. I say specops because they would probably have the best skills for moving around covertly.

Another thing that bugs me, besides Maggie's unbelievable lack of care for the whereabouts of her sister, is that no one has really mentioned what is going on with the walkers. Besides the governor's scientist guy, we haven't really heard of any observations on what is happening with the walkers mobility, capabilities, etc. at this point. The only thing we have heard is from people working on the show on Talking Dead who said the older walkers only see blurry shapes now. You'd think people would be figuring this out on the show to help them out.

There was an interview with Kirkman where he explained why Maggie doesn't have concerns about Beth. I didn't read it myself, but it was last week I think the interview was on the Yahoo!News feed.

Edit:
Found it and read it. Not much of an explanation: http://undeadwalking.com/2014/11/15/robert-kirkman-explains-situation-maggie-beth/

Last edited:
Well... While it's kind of moot now that Eugene has gone from Proffesor Mullet to just mullet, the plan he discussed was to use a genetically engineered bioweapon dispersed over the country with rockets. Seems that the reason would've been to destroy the infection that gives the dead the ability to walk. Which would kill all the walkers it infected.

Yeah I did see that. I don't even like my sister, but I'd have expressed more concern than Maggie! :lol

But then again, you don't live in a world where people drop left and right, and the possibility of your sister being dead is more likely than alive. And you recently didn't see your father die by a one-eyed psychopath who chopped his head off with a samurai sword, and proceeded to lead an assault that killed dozens of people you knew.

Well... While it's kind of moot now that Eugene has gone from Proffesor Mullet to just mullet, the plan he discussed was to use a genetically engineered bioweapon dispersed over the country with rockets. Seems that the reason would've been to destroy the infection that gives the dead the ability to walk. Which would kill all the walkers it infected.

Assuming that a Walker's biological functions stays the same as a human. I mean, do we even know if all the function sill work after being resurrected? Does the circulatory system and the pulmonary system still carry oxygen to the cells to sells that need it? (It doesn't appear so, due to some of the cases of severe necrosis and decomposition the Walkers have) Does the immune system still function the same way as it did before? We don't know if a bioweapon can work against the living dead. We know the digestive system somewhat works, but we don't know if its actually working like it does or if the more a Walker eats the more it just pushes what it ate previously down.

Last edited:
But then again, you don't live in a world where people drop left and right, and the possibility of your sister being dead is more likely than a live. And you recently didn't see your father die by a one-eyed psychopath who chopped his head off with a samurai sword, and proceeded to lead an assault that killed dozens of people you knew.

Hey man, don't assume to know his life :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Haha Maggie can't keep track of all the characters either! Seriously, it's the comics/show's biggest failing...too many characters means you can't really get invested in them. The show is much better when the focus is tighter. They should kill off half the cast. Seriously.

I never believed one second that two-faced liar called Eugene… he never stated if that was a bacteria or a virus and if a virus, if it's a retrovirus that integrates it's DNA in the human genome like HIV (which plausibly explained Jenner's statement that everyone's infected). He never mentioned the 10 men group team by their names, the chief bio-engineer, how the biological entity was created, nor what special properieties or weakness it has, if it's airborne or transmitted by fluids or what surface proteins it has. He never went full science-babble, which is typical for scientists, sounds clicheéd, but that's true for most scientists. He weasled his way out with vage statements.

Again, even if Eugene was telling the truth, a cure wouldn't benefit anyone at this point. Even if you cure those who are still alive, you've still got millions in the U.S. alone that can still kill you and eat you (and let's not forget about the thousands of human beings still alive who can also still kill you, and other of the thousands of things that can still kill you that the environment has). Like I said, if there was a cure, it would only have been useful only during the first two weeks of the zombie outbreak. Now, a cure is pointless, even if someone knows how to cure it. The damage that can be done via the virus has been done and can't be reversed. So, it doesn't really change any dynamics and is not a great departure from the comics as it seems.

But like I said, it was a weird idea that popped into my head that I wanted to share. And my opinion could very well be wrong. And most likely is knowing me.

I'll have to admit, I've seen my fair share of Friends, but I don't recall ever hearing this joke in the show. This is the first time I can admit I've heard it. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree. I was talking about this with my dad when I went over to watch it last night. We were saying that surely there are military units still around that survived. They would know areas where there was equipment to get. I'd kind of like to see them find an actual friendly, non-cannibal specops team that is still around. I say spec-ops because they would probably have the best skills for moving around covertly.

It depends on what you mean by equipment. Most personal gear like helmets, body armor, etc. would be in the trunks of their car or in a closet at home. Weapons and ammo would most likely be locked up in an armory on base somewhere, that's the SOP with regular line units and I can't imagine it being all that different with spec-ops except that they might have their own dedicated armory. Getting in would be a matter of either having a key or finding the means to break in but that wouldn't likely be that easy since they're meant to be secure facilities and not easy to break into.

Anyway, a spec-ops team would be great to team up with, not so much for their covert capabilities but their general skills and discipline. Most spec-ops teams will have personnel that not only are great shooters but people with a variety of skills including some medical and engineering training. Actually, an Army Special Forces A-Team would be the best to hook up, not necessarily for their military prowess but because of the wide skill sets they'd bring and their ability to pass on the knowledge to you which is almost something they'd they do since the more people who are trained shooters they have the better everybody's survival odds are and there are few people better at training people in military skills than Army Special Forces. The other benefit they have is that their medic can help you with most of your medical needs since they're trained to a far higher degree than your average military medic and don't just treat combat wounds. Then there's the general engineering training they have which would come in handy for improving the defensability of any shelter you might find, I bet a Special Forces A-Team (or any competent military infantry or engineering unit for that matter) could have turned the prison into a veritable Fort Knox.

What's up with the geography of this show?

No matter how far they travel, they never seem to be more than an hour or two from Atlanta. I know they've mostly been on foot, but really?

What's up with the geography of this show?

No matter how far they travel, they never seem to be more than an hour or two from Atlanta. I know they've mostly been on foot, but really?

I've asked myself that a few times. Are they just doing circles around Atlanta?

They didn't get very far from Atlanta after Season 1, ending up at Hershel's farm. And they couldn't move south due to massive number of Walkers (which they pointed out at the start of Season 3), and stayed at the Prison for a few months. So, basically, circumstances pretty much kept them from traveling very far from Atlanta.

Based on the terminus map I'd say that terminus and Atlanta were maybe 75 miles apart, with terminus being mostly south of Atlanta. Perhaps someone with a much better knowledge of Georgia can be more precise,

Now that they don't have to get to DC, they can just stay in Atlanta!

Yes, it's a show, and it's all about the drama, but so far the most practical character has been...um, Whatsisname. "Must clear!" He holed up and fortified his position and stocked up on food and weapons. Most easy-to-access vehicles and buildings should be pretty picked-over, but it bugs me that they're not rat-effing everything as they go and taking what they need, without weighing themselves down too much. "We have a crossbow with two bolts and one gun with three bullets? Let's move!" I know, I know.

Ep 5 had some issues (the bus does a CHiPs flip!) but did anyone notice the beautiful shot compositions in Ep 6?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back