Defiance Props

Sorry if I hijacked the thread here. Didn't mean for that to happen. If need be, I can repost this all in my own thread, if that would be better.

To answer your questions, Edwin:

1) I hadn't thought of making a removable clip, but since I'll be scratch-building this it'd be easy to do. Would have to figure out how long it's supposed to be, though.
2) Since I'm going for screen-accurate, I don't plan on adding a semi-to-full-automatic thumb selector switch. From what pics I've been able to find online, I can't see one on the screen-used piece, so I'd likely leave it out of the design.
3) I could use a good pic of the front, as I'm trying to draw up that technical view right now. Most of the pics I've seen are either too small or too blurry to really make out all the detail.

Another prop I'd be interested in would be the Castithan charge blade. It'd be pretty straightforward, I think. Make the blade out of machined acrylic/plexi, and illuminated by a super-bright blue LED situated in the handle. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

I didn't consider it hijacking. It is a defiance props thread. and Blueblade 74 has a great render of the gun in progress also.

Great job on those drawings Eric.

@Vivek: This is your thread you started. Are we getting off topic by focusing on Nolan's gun ?? Which way do you want to go with this thread ? DEFIANCE PROPS in general or focusing on a single prop ?? I don't want to see a good thread "hijacked" by accident.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread here. Didn't mean for that to happen. If need be, I can repost this all in my own thread, if that would be better.

No worries guys, it's all good, nothing is being hijacked. The thread is moving in the right direction. Please continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Vivek. speaking of nolans gun. It gets thrown around an awful lot in the show.no wonder it has tape on it..LOL

thanks for the pics, EA, helped clear up a misconception I had about the slide. also glad you hear you have a handle on the width :)

Great job on those drawings Eric.

[...]

Thanks, Vivek! I'm still tweaking a few details, but the two side views are nearly there. Now I can start working on the other technical views.

thanks for the pics, EA, helped clear up a misconception I had about the slide. also glad you hear you have a handle on the width :)

No problem, BW. You're welcome. I'm fairly certain 1 1/4" thickness to the gun looks about right, but I may see if 1 1/2" looks too wide. Want to make sure everything's proportionate to one another from every angle.

If it's a blank firing gun. wouldn't It be built on some gun we could identify?

I heard it was possibly built around a 92F Beretta. The trigger shape of the screen-used piece seems to match with that component on the Beretta.

As state before, excellent work on the gun. Hope I we see where it leads.

Thanks, CB. I pride myself on getting it right. Whenever I take on a new project, I always endeavour to get my representation of the original prop as close to screen-accurate as possible.

And this will lead somewhere, it's just a matter of when, since as I'd mentioned before there are a couple other projects that need to be taken care of first. Soon enough though, I hope.

I'm also going to begin working on technical drawings for the Castithan Charge Blade. Would definitely want to include that in my collection, too. There's even less decent reference pics available online for that than Nolan's gun, but I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
There's not much to show for the other technical views of Nolan's gun that would really be interesting, so instead here's a pic of my first attempt at the Castithan Charge Blade:

59h5.jpg

I based my sketch largely on a concept drawing I managed to find online:

ed7s.jpg

Compared to what few decent reference pics I could find of the screen-used charge blade as used by Datak Tarr, it looks like the details between the two match up pretty well:

6sm5.jpg

(You can see the string of small LEDs on the handle, as shown on the concept drawing)
8e68.jpg

(The large, round protrusion just behind the blade and the curvature of the handle, along with the light-up blue triangle at the end, also seem to match)
8xci.jpg

Aside from resizing a few of the details (ie. round protrusion is larger than on the concept drawing), I think we've got a pretty good base to work from. I'll post here when I've made substantial progress with either.

View attachment 188965

Here is a few pages with many cool props. Anybody here know Walter at all? He does excellent work!!

Weapons « Walter Klassen FX Walter Klassen FX

Props « Walter Klassen FX Walter Klassen FX

Thank you for sharing, i ve been itching to start this gun! Been Looking into the scale of it. Watching some footage and freezing it the gun look pretty big in lawkeepers hand.! would be nice if there was more detail available for this beautiful piece.

The size and shape almost looks like it's based on a box cutter. I wonder if I can sculpt on a box cutter then run a resin cast of it? The blade could be plexiglass with leds at the base? Thanks for posting the concept art!

Hi there...
YAY for charge blades !!! I think there is a lot of artistic license that can be applied to these. I grabbed this from DEFIANCE WIKIA:

"Charge blades consist of a metal hilt that produces a blade of hard light. When activated, a monofilament in the shape of the blade extends from the hilt, forming an energy field. The technology was developed by the Indogenes for use as a surgical tool (since nothing’s as sterile as a laser), but it was quickly adopted by the Castithans, who appreciate the elegance and panache of a blade. Dead bodies left in the street with their throat slit are a calling card of the Castithan mafia – a clear warning for anyone foolish enough to cross them."

I've seen 3 blades so far:
1) Datak's blue blade. Looks a bit like a Gil Hybin Double Shadow knife. In the Hell Bug episode he "pops" it out to a short sword. Interesting. Datak seems to carrie it over his right kidney. I'd love to see the sheath for it..
2) Mr. Birch's red blade. Diffrent colorred blades....interesting. His was a "flame" shape. He and his cool glasses will be missed.
3) Irisa's blue blade. This was the first episode I think, where she pulls on the Doc after waking up. In Irisa fashion it looked like a cobbled together "shank" with a very short blade.

Can't wait to see what comes next in this thread.

~Edwin~

Interesting to know the charge blade is an Indogene surgical tool! Thanks Edwin! There was a fabulous closeup of one in this last episode. Anyone get a screencap of it?

Found some more for the pistol . if they belong to someone and you want them taken down just say so. I have know clue who made these...found through a link from another thread...

tumblr_mmy5csyaGL1rsnip8o1_1280.jpgtumblr_mlar68GNqw1rsnip8o1_1280.jpgtumblr_mlq70lhweo1rsnip8o1_1280.jpg

Hi there....
I put up some incorrect information. #3 above about charge blades. Irisa does not have a blue charge blade. I went back and watched the first episode again. She snatches the Doc's blade away from her. We see the Doc's blue blade in this last episode. I personally think they should have frosted the blade. It really looked like a cheap piece of plexi stock on an LED.

~Edwin~

I love all the work that is being done on Nolan's gun! I have been trying to work out a lot of the details on the model I have been working on and seeing some of the pic's and work others have done I have missed some details.

Defiance 1.JPG
Defiance 2.JPG

looking forward to see what everyone comes up with

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back