My Captain America: TFA WIP

Always love your posts, awesome! let me know if you are ever down in Orlando or Tampa again, or if you do any USO events down here. My wife and I would love to join you guys.

Yeah man! I normally post on FACEBOOK when I am doing a USO show somewhere! I will be in Dallas again December 12-16 for Snowball Express! I'll be bringing Cap with me too!

Got to meet up with Michael today, and he was in full costume taking pictures with anyone that wanted! Hopefully next time we can hang out for more than a few minutes

IMG_20131215_124357_zpsae3eeayg.jpg

One of the nicest guys I've ever met!

Dallas! Guess that means you didn't get dumped on this weekend.
Did you goto the GW library and have a Cap photo in the Oval Office?

Looks like your being awarded a new belt buckle.

Also, Did you get a new shield? I love what you did with the weathering.

The new shield looks fantastic! Spun aluminum with the center hole filled at the shop, and Michael etched the star in with his trusty Dremel.

Yeah man, the shield looks great! Is that the same shield that you replaced the disguise with? How'd you come across it?

Aeric

I think that Looks AWESOME!!
Here is the star being worked on from the point of view from my stomach, and there is the star drying with a sealer coat on it before I spray pam olive oil on it and make a sculpey mold, then bake the mold, then fill it with something... We'll see how this turns out. If it sucks, I'll calling Bamabat! I'm not happy with the right arm of the star looking at it, that black line really pops out the curvature in a weird way. Maybe it's just the pic? I'll see when it's done drying if I notice anything screwy.

Hey buddy, I just wanted to say thanks for coming by MARVEL and showing off all your cool costume stuff to Capt! I know he was really impressed with all of it! Thanks for being an amazing inspiration in the cosplay world!

Hey Mike, I am a HUGE fan of Cap, and of your costume. I have some questions though:
1) Is it cool if i use your ideas to make my own (credit will be given where it is due)?
2) I'm just a kid (15) with a limited budget, could you give a range of about how much the whole thing costed? $200, $300?
I have got a start for my shield, im using a steel saucer sled and annodized paints, so the shield wouldmt be factored into the price.
Thanks, i love your work.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I just wanted to say thanks for coming by MARVEL and showing off all your cool costume stuff to Capt! I know he was really impressed with all of it! Thanks for being an amazing inspiration in the cosplay world!

Absolutely! Thanks again for having me!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Mike, I am a HUGE fan of Cap, and of your costume. I have some questions though:
1) Is it cool if i use your ideas to make my own (credit will be given where it is due)?
2) I'm just a kid (15) with a limited budget, could you give a range of about how much the whole thing costed? $200, $300?
I have got a start for my shield, im using a steel saucer sled and annodized paints, so the shield wouldmt be factored into the price.
Thanks, i love your work.

Hey! All around it took $800+ if I remember correctly. But that was a LOT of mistakes which if you read my posts, you should be able to navigate around those pitfalls. Happy building! remember, nothing wrong with making it LOOK like it is sewn together... pre-sewing mixed with just glueing the layers does wonders.

Just so you guys know, I was featured on Marvel's Captain America facebook page! Thanks to Rob, Kevin, and Scott for their generous contributions to my suit as well! You guys help make such a difference to so many kids and fans!Screen shot 2014-07-06 at 11.08.09 PM.png

Thanks! i also have quite a bit more workspace and know some very talented people who i can commision for some parts that could be beyond my basic abilities. Im doing this for an avengers group cosplay two years from now so i will have plenty of time to save up the money.

Hey Mike, thank you for all your hard work and for sharing the pictures. It looks absolutely awesome!
I am starting work on my own TFA Captain America, and I have a question about the chest and collar. How did you construct that part? it is unclear from the pictures how it all works together. Also, do you still have the mold(s) for stars?
Anyways, I love your work (and amazing sewing puns), you have definitely been an inspiration.

Ps. I believe you know my wife, Louise, from Rutgers, she was an MFA Stage Manager at Mason Gross (last name Rawson at the time). When I started talking about making a Cap' costume, she mentioned that you had done one and suggested I check out your work. I think she sent you a message earlier.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back