Thor is a woman

Re: Thor has been transgendered

I am surprised the new Thor was only changed to a woman. Shouldn't she also be black, gay, and autistic?

See, it's that last bit that makes me just think this is a bunch of publicity B.S., rather than an actual attempt to create quality material for women. For the record, I find the "OMG CAP IS DEAD AND BUCKY IS CAP!!" stuff to be just as eye-roll inducing, since you KNOW that eventually the status quo will return. And this isn't just Marvel. DC does it, too. The Flash was dead for, like, 25 years, and they brought him back and rebooted the whole universe. Batman died, except, JUST KIDDING, he didn't. And so on and so forth.

So this stuff just ends up all being little more than stunts and, while it can sometimes lead to good stories, it just strikes me as a weak attempt at grabbing headlines. I don't care that Thor is a girl now. Thor was a FROG for chrissakes, and I didn't care. But I do care about what appears to be yet another case of little-more-than-tokenism. I'm all for creating more material for women, especially if young MEN end up reading it and maybe learn a little something in the process. But announcing your big change on stuff like The View? That says one thing to me: Cheap. Marketing. Stunt.

Wait, isn't EVERYONE autistic now? I'm so confused.

Also that image is HILARIOUS.

It could do without the text. You *are* aware that the model is a good friend of our own Eaglewood? And that's the Mjolnir he did?

I didn't suggest that you created it. But you don't have to post it here, ya know?

How many pictures of the tramp version of countless costumes have been posted here over the years? Why is this one "uncalled for"? The costumes are more uncalled for than the moniker, which actually kinda fits.

Not sure why anyone is giving this any kind of press. Everything comics seem to do since the 90s has been pandering to try and gain interest. I first noticed it with the whole Superman dying thing.

Gender, race, sexual orientation. It's all game if they think it might gain readers. Unfortunately that fact eliminates the legitimacy of any change they make.

"Thor the God of Thunder" is not just a character that some comic book writer thought up. It is an adaptation of a male god in a real-world religion, albeit practically without followers for nine hundred years. Why don't they redefine *****, Buddha and Zoroaster as women while they're at it ... :facepalm

So, I guess that now that Thor's going to be female, if she ever yells, "Hammer!", Guys are going to instantly think, "She wants to be nailed."

tumblr_n8senp2JmT1rvya9ro1_500.png

tumblr_n8senp2JmT1rvya9ro2_500.png

How many pictures of the tramp version of countless costumes have been posted here over the years? Why is this one "uncalled for"? The costumes are more uncalled for than the moniker, which actually kinda fits.

It could do without the text. You *are* aware that the model is a good friend of our own Eaglewood? And that's the Mjolnir he did?

Exactly. It's the text, not the picture. I don't care if someone wants to dress up in a skimpy outfit. Rock it if you want.

It's the implications of the text that are a problem, because they're basically just saying "scantily clad woman = prostitute." I mean, are the women on Heroes of Cosplay prostitutes because of the outfits they wear? Are any of the women here who wear revealing costumes from time to time? Maybe nobody's actually intending to insult anyone else, but it's not much of a stretch to think that a woman who's new to this hobby might see that and think "Never mind," or even just feel sort of like she has to think twice about wearing an outfit like that. Nobody bats an eye when the dudes get dressed as Spartans from 300. Certainly nobody's insinuating anything about their sexuality in spite of what actual Spartans are supposed to have done to promote "unit cohesion." Instead, we say "Dude! You must have worked out like a MANIAC to get abs like that!" But a woman gets dressed in a similar outfit, and folks think it's funny to call her "Whor."

I'm also not suggesting anyone's trying to be insulting here. I don't believe that for a minute. I'm just saying, people should think twice before posting stuff like this, even if the intention isn't malicious.

Last edited:

This type of sloppy writing and use of "shock" is why I stopped reading comics in the early 90's, with a few exceptions it's all been crap. Never really cared for Thor as a comic book character anyway, but as a religious figure he's pretty kick-ass. ;)

As a woman, I don't find it offensive. I find it more offensive when people wear 'sexy' versions of costumes instead of realistic versions.

Besides, this is the internet. If you put your picture out there, I can guarantee SOMEONE is going to have something to say about it and it's probably not going to be nice.

Is there a reason she was wearing what is basically a metal bra as armor or did she wear it to be a sexy version of the character?

As a woman, I don't find it offensive. I find it more offensive when people wear 'sexy' versions of costumes instead of realistic versions.

Besides, this is the internet. If you put your picture out there, I can guarantee SOMEONE is going to have something to say about it and it's probably not going to be nice.

Is there a reason she was wearing what is basically a metal bra as armor or did she wear it to be a sexy version of the character?

I hear ya, and I'm not trying to speak for women either (which would be difficult, since I'm not one of them). I'm not trying to "white knight" here either. It's more just...y'know...be aware. Think twice. I'm sure there's plenty of women who'd laugh at the joke, plenty who wouldn't be offended, and plenty who take more issue with sexualizing costumes rather than going for authenticity (which I think is a whole other can o' worms...). But I can also see where there's a double-standard for male revealing costumes vs. female revealing costumes, and where other women might be turned off to the costuming community, to this site specifically, etc.

Basically, implying that women are prostitutes -- even jokingly -- when they wear revealing costumes can contribute to creating an atmosphere where women might feel less welcome in this community. I don't think anyone here actually means to drive women out or suggest they aren't welcome, so maybe we should just be a bit more aware of the kind of atmosphere we can unintentionally create with stuff like the "Whor" picture. That's all I'm trying to say.

I don't think anyone here actually means to drive women out or suggest they aren't welcome, so maybe we should just be a bit more aware of the kind of atmosphere we can unintentionally create with stuff like the "Whor" picture. That's all I'm trying to say.

I think users of this forum have established their idea of "atmosphere" quite plainly.

Captain America is now black, they call it "The New Captain America".
Thor is now a woman, they call it "Thor has been transgendered".
Not only is the use of the word "transgendered" completely inaccurate to what Marvel is doing with Thor (She's a woman, not a man proclaiming to be a woman or vice versa), but we're also taking pot shots at her by associating her with prostitution.

I'm disappointed.

I think users of this forum have established their idea of "atmosphere" quite plainly.

Captain America is now black, they call it "The New Captain America".
Thor is now a woman, they call it "Thor has been transgendered".
Not only is the use of the word "transgendered" completely inaccurate to what Marvel is doing with Thor (She's a woman, not a man proclaiming to be a woman or vice versa), but we're also taking pot shots at her by associating her with prostitution.

I'm disappointed.

First off...I don't think it was established in the meme posted on this thread that it was prostitution.
There was no mention of her getting paid for all the sex she was supposedly having...just having all the sex part....in that hot metal bra thing....in those hot boots. ;) ;)

Secondly...if anyone is to be labeled a "ho" it should be Stark/Ironman. Dude is a horny motherf'er.

And Black Widow? Not a "ho". Just a serious tease.

That is all.

Oh..and as I mentoned in the other thread...enough with changing them into woman or black superheroes. We need an Hispanic one!

Hell...I would take a Hispanic transgender super hero at this point. But he/she can't be a "ho"! I draw the line there.

;)

I think the fact that people care so much and not in the useful ways is part of the problem.

I find BOTH changes to be ridiculous, not because of the changes themselves but because of the fact that they're being marketed as if we should suddenly care more about the characters because of the changes. It feels as if they're trying to make the character more relevant by a physical change rather than by making the storylines better and more interesting to the audience they want to attract.

Also, to all the men who are up in arms about the meme and what it says, please stop. As a female cosplayer, there are actual REAL issues that impact my life and the way that me partaking in this hobby is seen by others outside of it. The meme is not part of the problem, the root of the problem is far more complex than this and if we're going to talk about it, we need to devote a thread to it and not hijack this one.

Now can we please go back to talking about Thoretta? (Because Thoretta is an awesome name and I needed a reason to use it.)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back