Shark Week

Shark Week...

...cake:

Charm City Cakes’ Ode To #SharkWeek | Foodbeast

charm-city-cakes-shark-week-3.jpg

Love it! :thumbsup

Gee. Imagine that, not enough fresh fodder on sharks. Maybe they aren't the threat we're trying to parlay them into! :lol They aren't all Jaws, after all.. :D

I haven't really watched a whole shark week but I don't think it's about showing how scary and mean they are... I thought it was common knowledge that they don't eat humans?

I don't think they show shark attacks all the time on Shark Week... just some but mostly info about sharks and awesome shark footage.

Either way shark attacks are actually becoming more common but that's probably cause we're screwing with their food :|

Either way shark attacks are actually becoming more common but that's probably cause we're screwing with their food :|

Are they more common or just getting reported more? A year or two ago here in Florida you could not turn on the news without hearing about another attack, but this year nothing. Now it seems to be bears in neighborhoods.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Are they more common or just getting reported more? A year or two ago here in Florida you could not turn on the news without hearing about another attack, but this year nothing. Now it seems to be bears in neighborhoods.

A thing I always remember about 9/11 was how the few weeks prior, the media had decided to start reporting shark attacks daily, as if it were becoming an epidemic. It was the big nightly story. Interviews with "experts", etc.

As soon as 9/11 happened, the sharks apparently stopped attacking, because well, the media stopped reporting on the epidemic.

I believe number wise it went up because more and more sharks are forced to move closer to shore, but even so the total numbers are shockingly low, and the number of fatalities from it are really low (I think the average is less than one a year fatal for unprovoked shark attacks in the US).

They're usually not fatal because Sharks don't eat humans, but they'll bite us (and a lot of other things, boats, bueoys, etc). So most attacks (unprovoked of course, no one is going to be surprised if a shark takes you to down if you're being a dick :p) are only a single bite, unfortunately that bite can end up being pretty bad depending on the size and location of it.

edit: Too paraphrase Jaws, tell them it's a shark and people get all hot and bothered, tell em it's a barracuda they don't care cause they don't know wtf it is :p

2nd edit: Also funnily enough I think shark attacks in Florida are actually declining :p

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back