How do you protect suits you are wearing from other people, who might brake it?

I have literally never had that issue. People just do not abuse others' stuff here in Denmark.

You are very lucky. In the states, people will push/hug/punch/slap/etc... and not out of aggression. That's just their way of saying "hello" sometimes.

I've had people punch my chest as a greeting :(

You are very lucky. In the states, people will push/hug/punch/slap/etc... and not out of aggression. That's just their way of saying "hello" sometimes.

I've had people punch my chest as a greeting :(
I've only ever had people come up and ask very nicely if they could touch or inspect stuff. It must suck to always have to watch out for your stuff :/

As a female Storm Trooper I've had guys walk up to me (not knowing) and smack my chest plate in a 'hey buddy' kind of gesture. While hitting anyone isn't appropriate, in my case it hurts the girls. What I've ended up doing is adding some padding under my chest plate to absorb idiot impacts and of course, always troop in groups with a handler now.

This has happened to me a LOT in my Thorin costume. I'm used to the "holy crap, that's a woman" comments from other costumes I've made, but ladies get all up in my business in when I'm Thorin and I have no idea what's up with that! I can't count the number of times a random woman has walked up to me and immediately pawed at my fake-manly chest without knowing what she's grabbing. Surprise-groping isn't cool no matter what's under there, but I've got rather a lot to bind down and it *hurts*. I wish I could work a "stop grabbing my boobs, ladies" sign into that costume somehow, but it might not be very screen accurate.

Other than constant awkward groping, I've been slapped in the chest (OW), grabbed by the face (ooh is this beard real?), and I've had my real hair pulled very hard by a jerk who thought my actual 12-years-old-and-counting natural dreads were a wig. Because of maniacs like these, I usually go out with my husband so he can help keep the weirdos off of me. For the rare occasions people get through my wonderful human shield, I keep a small repair kit with me including telesis for my facial hair, scissors to trim snagged wig hair, paint, super glue, and duct tape.

Having worn costumes requiring stilts - a handler is a must. The year I wore my Luke/taun-taun out to party, I had a drunk smurf who tried to knock me over every chance he could get.

Luck for me, a group of bikers who liked our SW group "took care" of him for us :)

Dressing up as Darth Vader, having buttons and switches up front right on display makes people think they have a right to walk up and start touching stuff- getting their dirty fingerprints all over everything and breaking stuff.

Over-building really is essential.

I'm getting a little nervous about going out in costume now. I've never done it at something as large as a convention before, and I have a feeling that the more people are present the less thoughtful people are about it. It gets less private and intimate I guess.

Or maybe the amount of non-thinking types just increase with the amount of people.

Then again, I'm going to have what appears to be foot-long scissors jutting out of me, so that might make people more cautionary.
What people have said about padding is very true. Sadly, that might make warm summer days truly torturous, but it does protect you.

It's really odd though; from what I gathered when sitting at my table this summer, people seemed to be hesitant to pick up objects very clearly made for handling. They were really nice about asking permission too, so maybe these people were not the same as those that would just start touching stuff someone wore, but is it possible that some part of wearing the costume makes the barrier of touching it lower? It almost feels that way to me.

Of course it depends on the person, a moron is always a moron, but do you think that all those people that do touch without asking would do it if the same costume was on display? Would they do it as roughly?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's cause I live in Sweden or whatnot, but I've never EVER had any problems like the ones you're describing. Everyone is always very respectful and no-one has ever touched my costume without asking permission.

I go to some of the largest nightclubs in the USA. Handlers are necessity, and I built very tough. I find there are several key things that help. 1) Vision-if you can see a threat incoming, you can block/dodge/redirect 2) Mobility- if you can move out of the way, it never happened 3) Pose a credible threat- If you can hit back, and not hurt your costume while doing so, you will find that many of theses aggressors have not taste for a fair fight 4) Practice- When I first learned how to stilt walk, I had someone shove me when I was not looking, sounds crazy, but since that is what happens in a club, being prepared helps a lot.

Wow, it amazes me at how many stories you guys have of people totally invading your personal space. Maybe it's my Canadian manors, or the fact I learned as a kid playing Warhammer 40000, that you don't touch other people's art without their permission, but I've never touched someone's cosplay, CERTAINLY not punched anyone. I've only been in full cosplay once, and didn't have anyone do anything rough to me, but I probably could have found a better path to get through PAX Prime then straight through the middle of a crowd. Not sure if someone said it, but my suggestion is pick your venue. Dragon Con is a high cosplay environment, people (or at least most) know the protocols. Your friend's halloween party, might not be the best, especially if there is drinking, most "normies" don't no the process that goes in to building something awesome, so they might not realize they're yanking on hot glued foam, not welded metal.

Dressing up as Darth Vader, having buttons and switches up front right on display makes people think they have a right to walk up and start touching stuff- getting their dirty fingerprints all over everything and breaking stuff.
That happens to X-wing and TIE-fighter pilots also. A lot. You can expect that kids will touch the buttons if they can get close enough.

I heard that one guy wired up his X-wing chest box with functioning buttons connected to the innards from a child's sound toy, so when a kid touched a button it would make an animal sound... I have two working buttons on mine, but haven't hooked them up to anything.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back