Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Awesome, thanks another quick question.how did you form the brackets to the shape of the shield? I got some 1/8" aluminum and cut them out but there is no flex at all.

Yeah, 1/8" is pretty thick. I used to make the brackets out of 1/8" but people were having the trouble you are having bending their brackets. I witched to .080" for the large brackets and .125" for the various clips. You can bend the 1/8" just takes some muscle.

Yeah,that it does.I'm thinking about maybe trying to heat them first. I also wanted to share a shot of the shield I'm working on.I actually(carefully) engraved both the star and the grooves into the sled.it took a long time but I'm liking the effect. uploadfromtaptalk1412055307897.jpg

On your metal connector pieces how are you cutting them out? I'm using a scrolls saw with a blade for metal and my cuts are not perfectly straight like yours are coming out. Please let me know how you doing such a beautiful job.

On your metal connector pieces how are you cutting them out? I'm using a scrolls saw with a blade for metal and my cuts are not perfectly straight like yours are coming out. Please let me know how you doing such a beautiful job.

Can't speak for any others, but a jigsaw worked well for me after clamping the sheet metal down. My jigsaw didn't have a laser guide, so I just used a ruler to make guidelines with a sharpie on the underside of the metal. For the hexagonal clasps, I drilled two holes and used the jigsaw to connect them. Good luck!

Yeah,that it does.I'm thinking about maybe trying to heat them first. I also wanted to share a shot of the shield I'm working on.I actually(carefully) engraved both the star and the grooves into the sled.it took a long time but I'm liking the effect.View attachment 382804

Looks great! I was scared to carve grooves into the sled, which is why I went with the spun shield, but you nailed it! How'd you go about carving them without going too feel into the metal?

Looks great! I was scared to carve grooves into the sled, which is why I went with the spun shield, but you nailed it! How'd you go about carving them without going too feel into the metal?
I had the rim from a previous shield that I'd made. I went through a bunch of different attachments for my dremel but ultimately landed on this one
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=9901

I basically practiced on the discarded rim,holding the dremel like a pencil and figuring out how deep I could go and still maintain the integrity of the metal.
It turns out the trick is to do a single cut for depth then go over it on each side of the cut with a shallower angle to make it look larger and deeper than it actually is.
Once you put down paint it makes it pop even more.
Here's after I added the red today, I still need to polish and clear coat it.
uploadfromtaptalk1412480084579.jpg

And thanks! I'm super happy with how it's turning out. This is my second build using Valor's guide and it's miles ahead of the first one.

dang it i decided to give my clear coat an even finer wet sand but after i did that the clear coat got all cloudy like normal and then after the turtle wax it would go away but that didn't want to happen this time it just stayed cloudy aaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhh. the last grit i used was a 2000 grit. it just looks like crap now:facepalm:cry:thumbsdown

The worst thing happened this weekend. I took my new
shield to a local con , in a canvas bag I'd made specifically for it. The last time I had done any work on it was over a week ago. I took it out of the bag, and tnere are dents in the finish caused by the weave of the fabric! What 20141005_202155.jpg20141005_202210.jpg20141005_202229.jpgcould've happened?

dang it i decided to give my clear coat an even finer wet sand but after i did that the clear coat got all cloudy like normal and then after the turtle wax it would go away but that didn't want to happen this time it just stayed cloudy aaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhh. the last grit i used was a 2000 grit. it just looks like crap now:facepalm:cry:thumbsdown

You could try a courser polish than turtle wax. You need to actually polish and not just wax it. I usually use a rubbing compound then finish with something like Turtle wax.

The worst thing happened this weekend. I took my new
shield to a local con , in a canvas bag I'd made specifically for it. The last time I had done any work on it was over a week ago. I took it out of the bag, and tnere are dents in the finish caused by the weave of the fabric! What View attachment 385622View attachment 385623View attachment 385624could've happened?

Was it clear coated or just the paint?
It looks like the bag has rubbed through the paint.

Hey all!
I've been lurking for a long time, especially on this post. I finally decided to try and tackle this project as my first build. I've been having some trouble stripping the paint off of the sled. I've had to use multiple coats of the citristrip and I still haven't managed to get all of the paint off of the front, and then I freak out because I still need to do the back afterwards. Has anyone else had this trouble with Citristrip? Is there some combination of tool, paint stripper, and elbow grease that I'm missing somehow?
Thanks!
-Tom

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back