The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

All this great detailed information almost makes it too easy. I imagine Anakin Starkiller and Oblivion are already half way done making theirs. I need to get to SolidWorks and get moving (Not to mention PCBExpress for the electronics).

:lol

Here's what I've got so far
12 2nd sonic.jpg

I'm not sure I'm seeing a difference between the interview and the closeup, but I do agree the one he catches is CG... also, the closeup of it operating could have been done with a stand-in once the prop was ready.

You may be right - the main difference (however slight) I think I'm seeing is how far the 'bands' around the top third come out from the main shaft - they look more like the diagram in the shot of him holding it but seem to come out further on the one he's holding in the interview. Could just be the profile view of the interview prop that makes it look that way.

- - - Updated - - -

I started with the given measurements and have been tweaking them to match what I am seeing on screen.

-best

Dan

Gotcha. So you've kept the overall length of 23cm then?

My progress thus far. I've figured that the clear rods running up through the emitter portion are all the same diameter and are the same size as acrylic rods I already have in my supplies - 5mm in diameter, which when sanded down will diffuse the light nicely. I figure it's better than casting or 3d printing in a semi transparent material.

wip01.jpg

This thing looks like it's designed to be modular, or at least lends itself to some plot-helpful changes in the course of an adventure. It has three distinct segments and those claws look like they allow the emitter to be removed, replaced or swapped out for some other attachment, not to mention all of the other twistable and clickable parts allowing reconfiguration of the sonic.

Initially, I thought it looked awesome! However, I don't like that the emitter resembles an elongated TARDIS roof-lamp. :S

Initially, I thought it looked awesome! However, I don't like that the emitter resembles an elongated TARDIS roof-lamp. :S

I actually do like it. Design preferences aside, isn't it about time that the TARDIS created a sonic in it's own likeness? I will say however, that I like the actual design less than I like the way it lights up in sequence and resembles the TARDIS in that way. My biggest complaint about the look is that those clear rods extruding up through the shaft are just flat at the top and don't have any sort of interesting emitter shape like previous incarnations. The 9th/10th had a basic rounded shape but at least it was rounded off and looked sleek in conjunction with the surrounding head area - and say what you want about the 11th's emitter resembling a sex toy, it was interesting and looked great with the claws fitting into the shape around the sides.

Last edited:
More progress. The thing is basically done as far as the form and dimensions are concerned. I've included side-by-sides with the real deal as well for comparison.

Off the bat, I can tell that the plate that houses the switch is a bit too thin across the face of the main body. I went by the edge of the curved corners on the main body that it sits on as that's how it lines up on the actual prop but those rounded corners will need to be decreased a tad so that it widens a bit and matches the prop.

The slot cut outs on the mid portion are also too thick as well as the 'prongs' that fit into them. Those will need to be thinned out as well.

Otherwise, I think it turned out nicely. The shot on the Rubbertoe FB page helped immensely with the mechanical bits on the sides, though how they connect to the inner portion of those holder parts is uncertain. For my model, since it's going to be 3d printed, I'm going to make that all one solid piece with the pins and spacing between parts worked into it. With a little cleaning and a nice paint job, it'll look like separate parts since I recessed the ends of the pins where they would otherwise meet the face flush.

wip02.jpg

comparison01.jpg comparison02.jpg

comparison03.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!

It wasn't posted directly before but here's the excellent closeup from Rubbertoe's facebook page, in case it was missed:

12238360_999276530130099_4457089292677752628_o.jpg

More progress. The thing is basically done as far as the form and dimensions are concerned. I've included side-by-sides with the real deal as well for comparison.

Off the bat, I can tell that the plate that houses the switch is a bit too thin across the face of the main body. I went by the edge of the curved corners on the main body that it sits on as that's how it lines up on the actual prop but those rounded corners will need to be decreased a tad so that it widens a bit and matches the prop.

The slot cut outs on the mid portion are also too thick as well as the 'prongs' that fit into them. Those will need to be thinned out as well.

Otherwise, I think it turned out nicely. The shot on the Rubbertoe FB page helped immensely with the mechanical bits on the sides, though how they connect to the inner portion of those holder parts is uncertain. For my model, since it's going to be 3d printed, I'm going to make that all one solid piece with the pins and spacing between parts worked into it. With a little cleaning and a nice paint job, it'll look like separate parts since I recessed the ends of the pins where they would otherwise meet the face flush.

View attachment 563306

View attachment 563307 View attachment 563308

View attachment 563309

Wow! you did an amazing job on this.

Dan

Not sure if this has been noticed already... But this image: http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=563307&d=1449507592

Shows wear marks that would indicate that the switch can be pushed forward/up, or backward/down.

For the sake of accurate reproductions. :)

I noticed this too. It's easier to see in the interview but in the episode the shot cuts to him as the button is just getting to the full backward position. The first shot of it in the console has that slider in the middle, in his hand it's back - luckily we have that interview to show us that its full off position is all the way forward.

I suspect the one in the console is also CGI (probably the same one for the scene where he catches it), or they just don't care where they put the switch as long as it doesn't activate.

EDIT: And the magazine cover that Anakin posted shows the switch all the way back and the sonic does appear to be on (albeit bright lighting conditions that make it hard to tell).

Last edited:
I was thinking that the brass center core used might be the same OD as the on inside the 11th sonic. It seems to be the same size in the assembly shots and the instagram photos. Could maybe someone who has a replica give us a measurement?

Maybe phez ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, a sonic screwdriver with enough space to fit a tvbgone and light display, any chance anyone has a high res pic of the designs measurements, I can't make them out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back