Doctor Who Sonic Glasses--wiring for sound?

TickTockMan

Howdy folks!

I know the Sonic Glasses are a bit of a sticking point for some, so if you hate them, read no further. I, for one, see them as just another arrow in the Doctor's quiver, and that the Screwdriver will make its return in due time (perhaps a unique new design, fingers crossed...). But seeing as they are here for the moment, I'm going to make the most of it.

What I wanted to know is if anyone had ideas on how to take a set of sunglasses (knockoffs of the Wayfarer design are cheap and plentiful), and wire them inconspicuously for sound. Obviously, in the show itself Peter Capaldi's just rocking a regular pair of shades and the Sonic whirring is dubbed in post, but I thought it would be cool for cosplay purposes to have a pair that would make the sound when a hidden switch is pressed, perhaps by transplanting the innards of a CO sonic. The challenge would be to conceal the speaker, sound chip, switch, batteries, and wiring in such a way that they aren't glaringly visible on the glasses when worn, AND to keep the glasses reasonably comfortable to wear. I picked up a couple pairs of XL-sized Wayfarer knockoffs (I have a big head) and have been studying them to see where components could be hidden in the stems or perhaps between the lenses, and to say the least, it's gonna take some creativity to make it work. So I'm reaching out to the considerably creative and talented folk of the RPF to see what you all think...is this doable, or am I tilting at a windmill here?

You could always hide the speaker behind one of the lenses.

True...or if the speaker's small enough, at the bridge of the glasses. My biggest concerns are the batteries and sound chip. The speaker, switch, and wires are probably all small enough to be easily hidden. Perhaps hollowing out one of the stems would be a way to go. I'm just really spitballing here...

Why not just hide the speaker and board in a jacket collar or something near the glasses where it would be easy to hide. It will be very difficult to hide a sound system in a pair of sunglasses.

Why not just hide the speaker and board in a jacket collar or something near the glasses where it would be easy to hide. It will be very difficult to hide a sound system in a pair of sunglasses.

I may end up having to do that, but the XL sunglasses I got have fairly thick stems that just might be able to hold everything I need...I was able to shoehorn electronics into one of Doc Octoroc's original 3D-printed Alt 8th Doctor Sonics (which was a bear), so this may still be doable. And since no light is involved, the batteries may not be as big as issue as I feared. Time will tell...I have enough other plates spinning right now...

Cut the stems to 3/4 thickness with a inside and outside "half" then hallow out the innards. For speakers you could use ear buds, the rest I don't have enough experience

Use the guts from one of the Running Press sonics. They're tiny and could easily be disguised behind the arms of the frame. Maybe not fully covered, but they're very narrow (picture a 3/8" diameter tube essentially). Sound is not the best but it's loud for the size.

I have done something similar with toy components, once; there is a very simple way!

Take a toy's components (you can buy spare parts on Character Option's website), take out the sound chip and add, let's say, a meter to both wires. Then you just have to glue the sound chip to the glasses, and let the wires run under your jacket to your pocket. That way, you could activate the sounds without anyone noticing! ;) And it would be very practical as well. Actually, I might do it for myself one of these days...

Hope I helped!

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if Underground Toys doesn't release a version. They've done something for every other sonic device. So unless they can't figure out how to work it, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to expect one.

I was just thinking about this whilst at college, seemed like a cool idea, I figured maybe stick a little sound system at the side of the glasses and hide it with shrink wrap, then make a hole in the shrink for the button which you could click at the top, then stick a few green LEDs at the lenses, heck maybe even a tvb gone could work

- - - Updated - - -

I could program a few chips for maybe a tvb gone or just sound for this, would be a cool project to fulfil my boredom

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back