Ancient Davros Sonic from Series 9 Doctor Who

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, now that it's been a couple days since the premier.

I'd like to discuss the ancient battered sonic that Davros has in the Magician's Apprentice.

Here's a piece of production art
p032vspm (1).jpg

What do you guys think? Is this a new build or did they trash one of the old sonics. (I cringe at the thought).

Has anyone tracked down any pics of this prop??

Last edited:
The prop battle damaged one was probably made from a toy. Why ruin one of the working ones, or spend a fortune to make a one off prop for two episodes. They have used the toy version as a stunt prop on occasion as well. The real question is... does this mean Capaldi is getting a new Sonic Screwdriver?

I would guess that it is made of spare parts or reject parts. Nick Robatto has made a lot of sonics for the QMX run and his own website. I would be surprised if he didn't have a pile of reject parts.

Nice screencaps Dan, Never noticed one of the arms around the tip was snapped off, nor one of the sliding parts was bent out of shape. I have to assume it's a new build. They probably had a specific weathering pattern they wanted, and if you screw up on an existing sonic it's not like you can keep trying forever

I don't think that is one of the hero props (or one of the stock rubbertoe sonics).This part right here does not look like it is made the same way as the hero Sonics are (It looks like the copper legs are a solid piece where they curve under the claw towards the center at the top and not a riveted on plate). I suppose they could have soldered a piece on under the leg to bend it out.

I hope we see more of this one in this weeks episode.

SonicZoom.png

Last edited:
So I just watched the second part of the season opener and have a question
Potential Spoiler
So it was obvious that the current sonic screwdriver was done for. I was hoping for a cool new prop to make or buy. Is it just me, but does it seem the sonic screwdriver is going to be replaced by sonic sunglasses? I kind of hope not, that doesn't make for a very interesting prop. Any opinions?

I'm hoping the sunglasses will just be a running gag for a few episodes before things revert to normal. If not, well, it won't be the first lame thing to happen under Moffat's watch.

I certainly hope the sunglasses are only going to last a few episodes as well. While it's kind of cool, it's not a sonic screwdriver cool. My hope is, it is an "in between" thing since the Doctors screwdriver is obviously fried, he is getting a new one.

He could have gotten his sonic back since he saved the kid. He obviously changed time at the end of the episode. They better not use the sunglasses as like a Google glass sonic :(

I disagree. The Daleks knew the word MERCY before he went back in his timeline. That means his going back was part of the original timeline, not a change. He probably left the sonic screwdriver to not corrupt the time line. I bet it was a way to justify a new sonic screwdriver, whether it be glasses or a new prop. That's just my interpretation though.

Yeah, the idea of a normal looking pair of Ray Bans (or whatever) just isn't as interesting as an obviously Gallifrian piece of technology.
It's too much like 5 year olds playing pretend. "This is my sonic toothpick!" - and it just looks like a toothpick.

There's just nothing special or distinctive about it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back