It is a priority to own a screen used for a favorite movie?

soumakis

Those who have a favorite movie, one you've watched hundreds of times and can watch another hundred more - is it imperative to own a screen used item from the film? If you don't, does it mean you're not really dedicated towards the film?

Not necessarily. Everyone collects prop items for various reason as there are differents kind of people. For example, I have watched Superman the Movie countless of times, but I do only own the non-prop Hot Toys Christopher Reeve, because of perfectly captured likeness of the overall figure and he embodies the Superman for me out of the comics. But because of space and budgetary constraints, I wouldn't own a real costume or replica or a Daily Planet newspaper prop. On the other hand, I have some Star Trek smaller props, which I acquired over the years to make a physical connection to the show, like a screen-used isolinear chip from TNG, some other production made Iso-Chips and from PIH auctioned system capsule stickers and equipment case sticker. I got a replica of the Watchmen smiley, because I liked the design of the unique blooddrop smeared button, but I didn't like the movie (still want my money back). Some replicas I do own out of pure enjoyment of the movie like Kurtyboy's Sarah Connor Polaroid Photo.

I'm on the same lines as YCL above.

While it is nice and / or vital for some to have a screen-used item, I don't think so for two reasons. One, replicas have better quality and are visually better looking :lol (true), and to me, weird as it may sound, represent the actual prop seen on screen much better. Second is budget. Way too expensive for materially very little most of the times.

I have 2 original props, but they have not cost me more than $10 each - SG replicator blocks and a menu from an episode of Warehouse 13. For me, that is more than enough to have a 'connection' :)

I am also an avid trekkie, but have nothing from any one of the series or movies, and have no desire to have any unless I come across something cheap but cool.

True, I forgot to mention. Like my friend Alan said, some replicas are even representing the prop better for what it stands for in the series/movies, than the real one that has dings and scratches and wears of the constant use. Some like it, some collectors don't. It depends on the state of the prop. It's a testament for some collectors that the item has some history behind it and that it has been handled by your favourite actor/actress.

At the end of the day, it's a very individual thing of how you cherish the series/movies and how much you like to connect in your own special way with it via a original prop or replica, which is, as mentioned also a budgetary issue. It's doesn't matter how much wear the original prop has, as long as you know the history about it and can tell interesting things about, it is you who values it's uniqueness.

Not owning a prop from your favourite movies doesn't automatically mean you're not dedicated towards the movie/series. Sharing the love and passion to mention the movie or series is proof enough that you love it and want to tell about. Another example: I loove Breaking Bad. But do I own one prop or replica of it? No... there are too many things I'd like to, but again space is my issue here. But I participated in the paper prop thread to show my love for the show.

Honestly, Alan and YenChih Lin are spot on!

Really it's a matter of personal opinion. While some people may think you NEED to own a screen used prop from your favourite movie, most will simply take the fact that you love the movie and have watched it countless times as more then enough dedication for your favourite Series/Movie. I own small screen used props because firstly they get rather expensive and secondly I find replicas more fulfilling.

There are countless reasons on both sides of the arguement, but think of it this way, you don't need to be an athlete to be passionate for your favourite sports team.

True, I forgot to mention. Like my friend Alan said, some replicas are even representing the prop better for what it stands for in the series/movies, than the real one that has dings and scratches and wears of the constant use. Some like it, some collectors don't. It depends on the state of the prop. It's a testament for some collectors that the item has some history behind it and that it has been handled by your favourite actor/actress.

At the end of the day, it's a very individual thing of how you cherish the series/movies and how much you like to connect in your own special way with it via a original prop or replica, which is, as mentioned also a budgetary issue. It's doesn't matter how much wear the original prop has, as long as you know the history about it and can tell interesting things about, it is you who values it's uniqueness.

Not owning a prop from your favourite movies doesn't automatically mean you're not dedicated towards the movie/series. Sharing the love and passion to mention the movie or series is proof enough that you love it and want to tell about. Another example: I loove Breaking Bad. But do I own one prop or replica of it? No... there are too many things I'd like to, but again space is my issue here. But I participated in the paper prop thread to show my love for the show.

Spot on buddy :thumbsup

Alan Castillo: You know, I think it's the experience we have now, after all these years of chasing and meticulously philosophying about the details of a certain prop. Surely it also has to do with burnt money on the wrong end that went into this special hobby we call prop collecting and replica collecting. Don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alan Castillo: You know, I think it's the experience we have now, after all these years of chasing and meticulously philosophying about the details of a certain prop. Surely it also has to do with burnt money on the wrong end that went into this special hobby we call prop collecting and replica collecting. Don't you think?

Definitely yes. But I don't regret ever 'burning' money on any replica I ever bought. The amount of items I have bought and still am 'unhappy' with today, are so minimal (around 2 or three, if that, and costing pittance), that I chalk them down to the learning curve.

As for the rest of 'inaccurate' etc items, I have modified them all :lol, which for me is part of the creative side of the hobby which I enjoy immensely.

This is not to say that I have no inaccurate replicas, far from it.

My philosophy has always been "if its close enough and I like it .... it's going on display & I'm proud of it" :)

We're back to the crux of things, if you like it, then it's the most fantastic thing around :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
I love collecting original movie props, but I've learned this about myself in the process:

1. I don't HAVE to have something from a movie I love. I keep an eye out for items from movies I love, but I want something iconic or easily recognizable, not "So and so's desk clock." I will patiently wait for something that brings the movie to life for me.

2. If I don't love or at least really enjoy the movie, I will end up selling any props from the movie that I get my hands on, because there is no personal attachment to them. Sometimes I buy something because it looks cool or I find it really cheap, but I will sell it sooner than later. The iconic stuff from movies I enjoy, however, I have no desire to sell or entertain offers on.

I spent almost 20 years building props. Some of my favorites started out as casting rejects, seems it's cheaper to do a recast rather than fix an air bubble. Between that and having access to original molds, I really didn't care. I do have some screen used props, but that's not the value for me. I just like cool gadgets.

For me, owning screen used props is only a result of my obsessive desire for accuracy. I still love replicas, but am often frustrated by little inaccuracies and differences from their screen used counterparts.... and now, I am finding that it is getting even worse. Thanks to high res photography and bluray, I now want screen-matched pieces.... :( It never ends.

A lot of films that could be favorites sometimes DON'T have great props in them to begin with. Others, like "The Wizard of Oz", have been lost to time and there's no way to get them back. I remember an episode of "Hollywood Treasure" where Joe M. was looking for a piece of the "yellow brick road" UNDER the stage that it was shot on, because he wanted a brick from it so badly. Of course there were none to be had. You really don't need to justify your interest or hobby to anyone but yourself. I remember an old girlfriend who thought I was nuts because I was really into horror films. It was actually a deal-breaker in the relationship, because she hated them. If it overwhelms your life, that's bad...but if you can be happy with just a certain genre, you don't need to justify your interests to someone else because they don't think it's NORMAL. Screw that. I'd rather be happy and not normal than live under some significant other's opinion of NORMAL to them. It's never IMPERATIVE to own something from a favorite film unless you want to. You can't begin to live someone else's life or your own will pass you by. 'Nuff said.

If I had the money I'd buy a load of original props but most of the props I'd want are so iconic that they're prohibitively expensive. Also find making them myself a lot more fun than simply buying something.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back