R.I.P. Robin Williams

I probably shouldn't post this but whatever. When I was a kid I was always depressed and thought about taking myself out more than once. In the end it was just me being a self absorbed *****. Wo is me, how will I do this or that. How will I get by this or that. I'll will never do this or that or amount to anything. I will never get this or that girl. Never make a lot of money. It was always about me. Instead of looking at what I did have. A great family, great friends and the ability to do whatever I wanted. And yes it was because I was weak. It was because I was self absorbed. It was because I was a ******* who drank like an idiot did drugs like an idiot and didn't care about how what I did affected the people I loved. I feel sorry for Robins family and friends and all his fans who loved him. I think the guy was a great comedian and artist. I however do not feel that I should respect a man who himself did not respect his own life and what ending it would do to his family and friends Putting them through the "what if I did this" "What could I have done". He took the easy way out. It's easier to off ones self than to work at straightening ones self out. Sorry for being crude but I have lost many a friend from doing drugs to suicide and it does nothing but **** me off that they were so weak they could not ask for help. Commiting suicide is not brave or courageous. It is weakness and the persons inability to cope with life. Please do not equate this to the people who jumped off the twin towers because they were going to burn alive. Facing burning alive and falling to ones death is a whole lot different than killing ones self rather then work to pay bills, dealing with parkinsons, (which my dad has) fighting drug addiction, alcohol addiction or any of lifes challenges. This guy had a family that loved him and he let them down because he couldn't deal with life. Believe me I still once in a while get a bit depressed but i tell myself to stop being a ****** and stop feeling sorry for myself. Call me heartless, compassionless I don't care. I have compassion for the ones left behind. I'm sorry he couldn't cope with life but thats on him. Like he didn't have anything to live for. give me a break.

I probably shouldn't post this but whatever. When I was a kid I was always depressed and thought about taking myself out more than once. In the end it was just me being a self absorbed *****. Wo is me, how will I do this or that. How will I get by this or that. I'll will never do this or that or amount to anything. I will never get this or that girl. Never make a lot of money. It was always about me. Instead of looking at what I did have. A great family, great friends and the ability to do whatever I wanted. And yes it was because I was weak. It was because I was self absorbed. It was because I was a ******* who drank like an idiot did drugs like an idiot and didn't care about how what I did affected the people I loved. I feel sorry for Robins family and friends and all his fans who loved him. I think the guy was a great comedian and artist. I however do not feel that I should respect a man who himself did not respect his own life and what ending it would do to his family and friends Putting them through the "what if I did this" "What could I have done". He took the easy way out. It's easier to off ones self than to work at straightening ones self out. Sorry for being crude but I have lost many a friend from doing drugs to suicide and it does nothing but **** me off that they were so weak they could not ask for help. Commiting suicide is not brave or courageous. It is weakness and the persons inability to cope with life. Please do not equate this to the people who jumped off the twin towers because they were going to burn alive. Facing burning alive and falling to ones death is a whole lot different than killing ones self rather then work to pay bills, dealing with parkinsons, (which my dad has) fighting drug addiction, alcohol addiction or any of lifes challenges. This guy had a family that loved him and he let them down because he couldn't deal with life. Believe me I still once in a while get a bit depressed but i tell myself to stop being a ****** and stop feeling sorry for myself. Call me heartless, compassionless I don't care. I have compassion for the ones left behind. I'm sorry he couldn't cope with life but thats on him. Like he didn't have anything to live for. give me a break.

I think your confusing being down in the dumps or teenage blues etc with a clinical illness.

Ben

20+ years of teen age blues? No. I am not confused. The only difference is I never went to a shrink. I think they create more problems then solve. The drugs they prescribe cause more problems then solve too in my opinion. Its only considered clinical when you go for professional help I guess. There are some people I guess that have no choice because the same depression as "teen age blues" is allowed to propagate into something more dangerous. I think it all starts small then grows out of control. Its the same issue but to different extents. The guy who has a small drinking problem has the same disease as the all out drunk, just one has it worse.

Blizzard Games is to pay tribute to him by creating a character inspired by him or his more iconic movie parts. Apparently he was a huge fan of Warcraft. I knew he liked gaming and I always wondered what it'd be like to get sniped in Call of duty by someone talking like Mrs. Doubtfire on the mic lol. It's easy to bash folks with depression and serious mental illness if one hasn't dealt with the worst parts of it. There's a huge difference between being a depressed teenager and clinical depression or even bipolar disorder. Sadly there's a lot of ignorance and intolerance out there to those who are sick and need help.

20+ years of teen age blues? No. I am not confused. The only difference is I never went to a shrink. I think they create more problems then solve. The drugs they prescribe cause more problems then solve too in my opinion. Its only considered clinical when you go for professional help I guess. There are some people I guess that have no choice because the same depression as "teen age blues" is allowed to propagate into something more dangerous. I think it all starts small then grows out of control. Its the same issue but to different extents. The guy who has a small drinking problem has the same disease as the all out drunk, just one has it worse.

Entitled to your own opinion but yes you are confused. Dysthymia is different to depression which is different again to personality disorders such as avoidant and dependant. The difference between clinical depression and a depressed mood again is more than just seeing a professional. And the medication can have significant improvements for many. Sadly we arent able to look at genetic markers yet to further individualise therapy but there are multiple studies showing different classes of antidepressants to have effects for different presentation types.

As for drinking there is a significant difference between binge drinking and alcohol dependence at both a psychological and physiological level.

We men have a tendency to try solving our problems ourselves (unlike women who are better at voicing their concerns and worries to other women and or doctors, family members,etc).
Is it a cultural/brain physiology thing? Probably true in both cases...we, men, tend to feel inferior/weak to ask for help, especially to another man. Many times, we don't have the tools to resolve the problems ourselves; we either need professionals/ medication, sometimes, but also we need to accept our vulnerability and our weaknesses. We need to develop a social circle that we know will be understanding, non-judgemental and will help us get through the difficult moments that we may encounter in our personal life.

Of course, this event has brought the morality of suicide (or euthanasia under other contexts...but that's another discussion altogether). As a free man, you know the "Captain of your life, Master of your destiny" kind of thing, you have that incredible and powerful tool at your disposal: suicide (Latin for "self" and caedere for "kill"; geno-cide, homi-cide, etc).
This act is brought by an intolerable psychological situation! What is intolerable? Everybody has a different views/ideas of what would be intolerable (same philosophy behind euthanasia.)
Holocaust survivors have talked about the intolerable, horrific situations in concentration camps and despite that abject horror they were witnessing day in day out they survived, the light inside never faded (we're not discussing the religious aspect here, or dismissing it altogether; not a topic for the RPF). Did they think about ending it all? I'm sure quite a few did and it would be natural, in those extreme circumstances, to do so. But they didn't and that's admirable... or unthinkable for certain people.
But that's them, and not me! What if I was in a similar context and decided to take my life. Is it better/worse to kill oneself while being in a sane frame of mind?...or is it better/worse while suffering from depression and not being able to think clearly, since the sickness influences our "normal, sane" thoughts?

We'll have to also examine the judgement of "selfishness" society is putting on the act. Many here have mentioned: "how about the family, friends staying behind?" How about the person drinking and driving and ending killing him/herself in the process? Was it selfish? Obviously, since in those moments prior to the accident, he/she was only thinking about their pleasure and not their responsibilities toward themselves and others...but that person was supposed to be "normal, sane" (intoxication is, of course, changing the rational/logical thought process, but my point is he/she knows fully of the consequences of their action...unless, you've lived on Mars all of your life).

How can a person, suffering from depression, can rationally think about the after-effects their final act will have on their family and friends? They don't, they want to stop living, since they cannot "feel" anymore. In the end it comes to the same question/answer: quality of life!
A million different answers to that question...

And People magazine wastes no time or shame in an opportunity to capitalize on tragedy. I was amazed to already see a big tribute magazine for Williams in newsstands yesterday. I know that's what they do is report on celebrity life and such, but just think it's a little disgusting in some cases.

And People magazine wastes no time or shame in an opportunity to capitalize on tragedy. I was amazed to already see a big tribute magazine for Williams in newsstands yesterday. I know that's what they do is report on celebrity life and such, but just think it's a little disgusting in some cases.
Considering how quickly these things appear on the newsstands and in stores, I would have no difficulty believing that the publishers of magazines like this already have a "death" issue prepared and waiting in a file somewhere for every major celebrity. That way all they have to do is add a quick statement about the person's death and offer their condolences to everyone concerned, and it's off to the printers! Death mongers.

Debbie Reynolds took this photo during Paul Allen's birthday party on a Cruise to Alaska. George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Todd Fisher, and Robin Williams

RobinGLCarrie.jpg

The Supervising Animator of Aladdin, Eric Goldberg twittered his tribute to Robin via this pic...
It's interesting how many people from within the Disney organization have posted tributes to Mr. Williams considering the way he bad-mouthed The Mouse for taking so long to pay him for his work on Aladdin. I suppose it's easier to put situational politics aside when someone passes on than to hold a grudge and publicly appear to be unsympathetic. Then again, I haven't seen any tributes from Disney's payroll department...

;)

As I read in a recent found article, Robin didn't complain about the payment (which was even less than I expected - he did it for the fun), but the overshadowing role of the Genie against Barry Levinson's "Toys" which ran at the same time. Jeffrey Katzenberg was the boss at Disney at that time and time and again he screwed him over their oral agreement.
Toys was a personal heart project of Robin and Barry. And Barry was his friend. Robin agreed to play the Genie under the conditions that Disney would market the movie as Aladdin as the main protagonist, leaving him out of the credits and billings on the poster out of courtesy towards Barry, since their friends and wanted Toys to be successful.

As the recordings went by and the producers at Disney were floored by the sheer force and talent Robin showed, they realized, that Aladdin was a hit movie. Jeff knew that too - so, how to circumenvent "legally" the agreement, without getting Robin angry? He said to the marketing "make the Genie bigger". If you look closely to the posters, Genie was taking the poster space 25%, which Jasmine and Aladdin drawfs on the magic carpet. *buzzzzz!* You think, a quick witted intelligent man like Robin wouldn't get it? Wrong! When the marking machine rolled, Genie was BIG, on posters, busses, everywhere - Disney advertised the Genie, leaving out the name of Robin Williams, but ho-hooo, he was furious and instantly called Jeff, firing curses like a machine gun faster than you can run. Jeff said, he can't destroy the posters since they put money into marketing. That's why Toys tanked and Aladdin succeeded and Robin was pissed off at the mouse.

Here's A source, but no the one I read: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...lliams-split-with-disney-over-aladdin-poster/

EDIT addenum:
When Roth took over Disney, they formally apologized to him, but yet made a second mistake that came to light. The Picasso given to Robin as a compensation which was allegely worth more than 1 million (so he was told) was purchased off an auction for 75,000 and it was made public and Robin got wind of it. So he got screwed twice by the Mouse.

It's interesting how many people from within the Disney organization have posted tributes to Mr. Williams considering the way he bad-mouthed The Mouse for taking so long to pay him for his work on Aladdin. I suppose it's easier to put situational politics aside when someone passes on than to hold a grudge and publicly appear to be unsympathetic. Then again, I haven't seen any tributes from Disney's payroll department...

;)

Last edited:
As I read in a recent found article, Robin didn't complain about the payment...
I remember seeing him on talk shows at the time, and he was quite vocal (in his own humorous way) about the fact that he hadn't seen any money for his work on Aladdin for as long as (as best I can remember) a year after. But in all fairness, I also recall seeing him on similar shows after he'd been paid, and he said The Mouse had taken care of him and that all was well between everyone concerned.

I hadn't heard anything about the rest of it, so thank you for sharing that information.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back