ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Well since I'm pretty convinced I was scammed by GBrittelleJR and won't be receiving the DL44 blaster he "sold" me in the Junkyard, I've ordered some left over parts through Dave at DEC. Specifically an Aluminum flash hider (with only 6 rows of dots instead of 8, but oh well), aluminum barrel sleeve with booster and an aluminum front grill. I'll be on the hunt for a scope mount and a scope now, plus a Denix shouldn't be too hard to find. About a month ago, me and GBrittelleJR had agreed on $400 + one of my 8 foot, 12 plait Indy bullwhips for his blaster. He received my money and the bullwhip and I haven't heard from him since. I'm giving him until Friday, then I'll be reporting him for ban.

Very sorry to hear that! I hope everything works out okay for your situation..

Also for fitting the Sleeve Barrel, put the Booster over your sleeve barrel all the way and then cut your Denix barrel off right at the front end of the Booster. :thumbsup

-Carson

Thanks for that. Also the edges on the alum scope holder are squared fairly sharply. Are they meant to be rounded off? I can do tgat with a file but lucky they're not steel

Hey Sean, glad to hear you've gotten your parts as well! I'm not sure of the correct drill bit size at the moment, but I believe the threading for the crossbar posts is 1/4-20.

-Carson
Thats what I used. 1/4-20 with a #10 drill bit. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for that. Also the edges on the alum scope holder are squared fairly sharply. Are they meant to be rounded off? I can do tgat with a file but lucky they're not steel

A file is gonna leave a lot of groves, and "rash". I got all my parts anodized so I wanted to remove all of the marks left behind by the machining, as well as smooth the edges. I started with 300 grit sheet of sand paper on the crossbar it really rounded the edges nicely. I didn't go crazy on it, also it removed the milling marks nicly. Then I moved on the "000" steel wool for the crossbar and the rest of the parts, this removed the sanding marks, lastly I use "0000" steel wool, and everything shined up beautiflly. I didn't use any polishing compound, you can if you want, but just remember that if you do use a compound, you will need to clean it very well before you paint, or in my case, anodize. I did use a degreaser/surface prep before I sent my part to be anodized, just to make sure there wasent anything on them that would effect the anodizing (Im sure the company I used did this again anyway, but better safe than sorry).

olb2.jpg

5tx9.jpg

Because of cost I had to just get the scope mount, scope, and heat sink. I used a flash hide I already had. If there is anoth run of bull barrels and flash hiders I may upgrade to those later. I may play around with the idea of creating my own bull barrel too. We'll see how it goes.

P.S. weathering to follow ;)

Last edited:
Very cool thank you for that! Can't wait to get down to the hardware store tomorrow. While I'm at it some of the tiny screws are too long on the scope. Do you grind them back or drill some holes for them in the brass ends? And how is everyone fixing the bull barrel in place...JB weld? Or an epoxy?

Last edited:
Very cool thank you for that! Can't wait to get down to the hardware store tomorrow. While I'm at it some of the time screws are too long on the scope. Do you grind them back or drill some holes for them in the brass ends? And how is everyone fixing the bull barrel in place...JB weld? Or an epoxy?

Cant wait to see it :)

I think drilling and tapping the brass ends is best. although I'm not sure what anyone else did.

Last edited:
Cant wait to see it :)

I think drilling and tapping the brass ends is best. although I'm not sure what anyone else did.

The holes are there and tapped for those tiny screws. You may need to grind the screws a bit shorter for a pressure fit or you can drill or dent the brass to lock the position of the slot.

we left it that way so people can choose adjust the direction of the slot to match the screen used if they want.

Also, we decided to leave the edges crisp and allow users to soften as desired. A little light sanding is all that is needed.

Last edited:
Very cool thank you for that! Can't wait to get down to the hardware store tomorrow. While I'm at it some of the tiny screws are too long on the scope. Do you grind them back or drill some holes for them in the brass ends? And how is everyone fixing the bull barrel in place...JB weld? Or an epoxy?

If you got the sleeve barrel use the 3 set screws.

If the FIT barrel, use epoxy or the like. There was a tutorial a ways back on how to set the threaded rod etc. Just use a slowere setting glue and jig the receiver and barrel to align it straight checking the side and top view.

Dry fit (twice ; ) ) then glue.

If anybody is still looking for kits there are a couple available Dark Energy Creations - Still Available
Besides the adam build video here are a couple of tips for the scope ScopeTips - YouTube
The screws under the scope tube are 0-80 threads, the crossbar mount screws are 1/4-20 threads,
The grill & track/antenna are intended to glue on, if there are any other questions let me know :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome work Sean!

Thanks for the tips. I'm really enjoying the head scratching putting it together. It is a simple build as long as I can talk to people on here lol

If anybody is still looking for kits there are a couple available Dark Energy Creations - Still Available
Besides the adam build video here are a couple of tips for the scope ScopeTips - YouTube
The screws under the scope tube are 0-80 threads, the crossbar mount screws are 1/4-20 threads,
The grill & track/antenna are intended to glue on, if there are any other questions let me know :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome work Sean!

Are the brass lens ring screws 0-80 too? What size drill but do you use to tap with that?

How do you guys recommend attaching the booster to the barrel sleeve?

after attaching the sleeve barrel, the booster just slides over it and then the flash hider slides over the booster, then the 5mm screw that came with the booster goes through the flash hider and threads into the booster and clamps against the gun barrel

Are the brass lens ring screws 0-80 too? What size drill but do you use to tap with that?

yes the small screws underneath are 0-80, the tap drill is .048" and the clearance hole is .070"
0-80 is very fragile so be careful, if you use a roll tap the tap drill should be .055"
McMaster-Carr sells some nice taps

I drilled some small holes (slightly smaller than the screws) in the brass rings. I also slightly ground them shorter on a dremel. I didn't bother tap/die the brass as it was a firm fit. Fiddley but not too difficult. I also shortened the screws on the top of the brass winder on the scope to assist in rotation.
Some 400 grit sand paper was very easy to smooth back the aluminium crosspiece but be careful cos it was a lot easier than expected. The steel wool worked a treat. Great tips everyone.

The BB slides on easily to my Denix, however the FH won't fit down the barrel of the Denix? This is the kit without the cutout on the BB. Do I just need to file down the barrel?

Last edited:
I drilled some small holes (slightly smaller than the screws) in the brass rings. I also slightly ground them shorter on a dremel. I didn't bother tap/die the brass as it was a firm fit. Fiddley but not too difficult. I also shortened the screws on the top of the brass winder on the scope to assist in rotation.
Some 400 grit sand paper was very easy to smooth back the aluminium crosspiece but be careful cos it was a lot easier than expected. The steel wool worked a treat. Great tips everyone.

The BB slides on easily to my Denix, however the FH won't fit down the barrel of the Denix? This is the kit without the cutout on the BB. Do I just need to file down the barrel?

this should help...

newbarrel_zps0263aab1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

How do you guys recommend attaching the booster to the barrel sleeve?

...slip the booster over the bull barrel. Then slip the FH over the booster. line up the threaded hole and secure both with the thumbnut under the FH. you may want to trim the thumb nut to sit flush like the hero.

The booster fits over the end of the Bull Barrel. The bull barrel slips over the mauser barrel first. If the booster is not sliping onto the bull barrel easily, there may be some grit in there. We made it a snug fit.

I can't imagine how the bull barrel can fit on the Denix but not the booster. Can u show a pic?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back