Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

All of the points about Ingruber's credentials and limited display of onscreen talent are all not lost on those of us who are a fans of his, believe me. Do we maybe have faith in him because he looks and sounds a little like Ford, sure. But, I don't believe that is clouding my judgement in believing that he could have done the film just fine. Especially with the stellar cast they are assembling around the main character, currently.

But, again, we will never know. So be it.

Here's hoping he's working closely with Harrison Ford on Indy 5! (Stop rolling your eyes and sighing heavily, Bryancd. :))

Here's hoping he's working closely with Harrison Ford on Indy 5! (Stop rolling your eyes and sighing heavily, Bryancd. :))

I'm doing an impersonation of your Solo avatar. :)

Although off topic, the only reason to use AI would be to do more Indy films set in the 1930's and '40's. If they plan on continuing to move forward in the timeline they can simply recast Shia's Mutt character with a new and more reliable actor. That's the path of least resistance. No one would care.

Last edited:

I'm doing an impersonation of your Solo avatar. :)

Although off topic, the only reason to use AI would be to do more Indy films set in the 1930's and '40's. If they plan on continuing to move forward in the timeline they can simply recast Shia's Mutt character with a new and more reliable actor. That's the path of least resistance. No one would care.

Perfect response.

Except no-one (outside of the production) had expectations about Han Solo when they cast Ford, the movie itself had nowhere near the budget deployed for this one, and the stakes are not the same ! It's relatively easy to cast a nobody in a first, "low" budget film, it's something when a titan like Disney is producing the film as part of franchise...

Frankly, one of the bigger selling points of the OT is that it worked (most likely) better without big name talent.

Studio's need to realize the days of "ACTOR NAME' 2x the size of the movie title has never worked. Successful movies tend to work because they're better.not because they have a name brand star. To this day, there is no movie i'll see simply because a certain person is in it. Period. If they trailer doesn't look good - odds are, I pass.

And in the case of the Disney, let us not forget that Chris Pratt was a relative unknown, and if not unknown do to 'parks' the was an exceedingly unproven movie actor with nothing showing he could carry a film either. But he did. But, if it wasn't a good one to begin with, no one could have saved it.

I can look at Ingruber and see Solo. I looked at Ehrenreich and ask, "why"? I was curious about this movie until casting was announced. At this point it's a passing curiosity about a movie that doesn't need to be made and will likely be the first Star Wars movie that I don't see in a theater.

I can look at Ingruber and see Solo. I looked at Ehrenreich and ask, "why"? I was curious about this movie until casting was announced. At this point it's a passing curiosity about a movie that doesn't need to be made and will likely be the first Star Wars movie that I don't see in a theater.
Seriously?

I kinda see it in a similar way. I don't want to watch the story of young Han in the first place, I like a good mystery from time to time (we got way too much backstories with Vader and Fett), plus we already got Han at his best in OT. The SW universe is big and they could make new interesting characters that can be successful, this is already proven with CW, TFA and RO.

Seriously?

Seriously. The entire cast leaves me....bleh. Completely demotivating. And, yes. This was not a story I ever had any interest in seeing. It's unnecessary to me. We don't need back story on every friggin character. Han is well enough established. I also think a Fett movie is a bad idea. The prequels already ruined him. Less is more sometimes. That applies to all of Star Wars. The two most recent movies aren't perfect, but everything else SW is utter shiite. But, I get it. Milk it for every penny because Pavlov's dogs will run to line up just to see the words "Star Wars" on the screen. I just won't be one of them. I'll see it for free eventually.

Well said, Jedi-72. I whole-heartedly agree. Boba Fett and Vader are now truly ruined, thanks to the prequels.

Nothing that happened with these characters matters before ST ANH, in my opinion. The events in Star Wars was the turning point and most exciting thing that every happened to them. And that is what made them who they were destined to become. No need for backstory. Create some new characters, Disney. Or, better yet, tap into the EU you just trashed.

Jedi-72 and Solo, I can't disagree with you. I'm gonna remain optimistic until proven otherwise on the Han Solo movie. Hoping it's gonna be a stand-alone adventure and won't try to overexplain or tie in too much.

Seriously. The entire cast leaves me....bleh. Completely demotivating. And, yes. This was not a story I ever had any interest in seeing. It's unnecessary to me. We don't need back story on every friggin character. Han is well enough established. I also think a Fett movie is a bad idea. The prequels already ruined him. Less is more sometimes. That applies to all of Star Wars. The two most recent movies aren't perfect, but everything else SW is utter shiite. But, I get it. Milk it for every penny because Pavlov's dogs will run to line up just to see the words "Star Wars" on the screen. I just won't be one of them. I'll see it for free eventually.

I completely agree. ANH really IS Han's back story. It's where we see his transformation, his maturation, his development as a character. In a Han-based prequel he's either going to be static and self-interested, without an arc, or we'll see a story or character which undermines his arc in Star Wars. Neither is terribly appealing...

I completely agree. ANH really IS Han's back story. It's where we see his transformation, his maturation, his development as a character. In a Han-based prequel he's either going to be static and self-interested, without an arc, or we'll see a story or character which undermines his arc in Star Wars. Neither is terribly appealing...

It can be done. A lot of times in real life someone starts out as sympathetic and selfless then they have something happens and it changes. So there's no reason that can't happen to show why Han is the way he is in ANH. That's pretty much what happened in the now non canon AC Crispin Han novels. Now if this movie is like a year before ANH, that would be a LOT harder to explain.

Our experiences shape who we are and how we interact with society. A person who, deep down, is naturally inclined to be good hearted, and selfless; giving with all they have, not for the money or the recognition, but because it's the right thing to do, can be turned cynical and indifferent to the world around him because he sees no selflessness or empathy in his world. Once he finds friends that can give what he once sought, he's willing to reopen his heart.

The arc of the new movie would need to be "Han goes from decent guy to self-interested smuggler". That means you should like Han steadily less over the course of the movie - and then it just ends like that.

Last edited:

The arc of the new movie would need to be "Han goes from decent guy to self-interested smuggler". That means you should like Han steadily less over the course of the movie - and then it just ends like that.

Yep... it's called a tragedy.

It can be done. A lot of times in real life someone starts out as sympathetic and selfless then they have something happens and it changes. So there's no reason that can't happen to show why Han is the way he is in ANH. That's pretty much what happened in the now non canon AC Crispin Han novels. Now if this movie is like a year before ANH, that would be a LOT harder to explain.

SVS, and everyone who's chimed in with a similar pitch, that ain't bad! I just hope it's not like Serenity, where they rewound Mal's relationships and development a bit to re-establish their preferred arc and personality for the character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's at least hope they can make his hair do this:

17076820_1870892449849517_7669587280163504128_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back