Fine Molds 1/72 Slave 1 times 2 (Jango and Boba Fett versions)

Here's the cockpit all done without the lights on:

WP_20160413_20_28_21_Pro (2).jpg

I've taken some liberties as to lighting the interior. There are not any real glimpses in to the cockpit of Boba Fett's Slave 1 other than the studio model. The thing I've heard about studio models is that they were done mainly for on screen shots of the outside of the ship. I'm looking to make these appear as real as possible at this scale. Obviously I'm not quite there with my skills, but these two ships help build those.

My goal is to make them look real and not 100% screen accurate. I will mimic the paint job, battle damage and wear and tear as close as possible to the studio models, but add my artistic take to them. I don't want them to turn out looking like toys though.

Anyway, thanks for following along!

-Kris

Last edited:
Started painting the lower hull today. I laid out a basic outline of where the "chipping" was going to be. Since the base grey was down, I outlined the outline with hairspray using my airbrush. The hairspray makes it easier to give a paint wear effect by simply using water and a brush or swab to remove the unwanted paint. I then used some thinned out hull red to give the edges a harder line and blended that in using my airbrush. I added the splattered look of some grey and washed it over with thinned out hull red again to blend it in and make it look like it has been there the whole time. I also used some thinned hull red mixed with flat white to get the pinkish look.

Let me know what you think and if it looks like it will work. I'm pretty happy so far.

WP_20160419_17_54_25_Pro (2).jpgWP_20160419_18_23_36_Pro (2).jpgWP_20160419_19_10_04_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:
The base coloring is done. I still need to weather it and add detail using my newly learned technique, OPR.

View attachment WP_20160420_23_08_23_Pro (2).jpgView attachment WP_20160420_23_08_43_Pro (2).jpg

I was apprehensive at first when starting this version of the Slave 1. But now that I've got the base done, it was much easier than anticipated. I should have the top hull done by the end of the week and all final detailing to this one and Jango's wrapped up by next week. Exciting stuff!

-Kris

Looking really great.

My wife and I were working on ours last night. She's doing hers as a diorama with the doors open and frozen Han being loaded. I took the pewter Han solo and recast it in resin so it is lighter and glueable to the guard who'll be pushing it.

I'm with you on the interior - I always try to put full sized cockpit set details inside my builds, even if the miniatures never had them.

Thanks guys! Like I've said, it was always intimidating to want to try to replicate the paint job on Boba's Slave 1. Now having done it, I am less intimidated by doing it again in future builds.... Maybe a studio scale version, one day..Keiko, I'm looking forward to seeing you and your wife's builds. I really need to learn how to recast pieces for my self. That sounds like a good idea with Han's frozen carbonite piece. I have Obi Wan's fighter from episode II that I could incorporate into a diorama with Jango's ship... I might end up doing that at some point.-Kris

We're way behind you, so it could be a while. Summer is almost on us, and our output always goes down. Watching your work is keeping us going though.

Making molds, etc. is easy, especially an open faced one for such a small part as Han in carbonite. Don't be afraid to try it!

We're way behind you, so it could be a while. Summer is almost on us, and our output always goes down. Watching your work is keeping us going though.

Making molds, etc. is easy, especially an open faced one for such a small part as Han in carbonite. Don't be afraid to try it!

Yeah, summer will get in the way of maintaining the progress I've made on my builds. But right now I work third shift, so I have time, usually after I get up to work on my builds. Weekends, of course, I do nothing with modeling since I spend all that time with my gf.

I'll definitely look in to making molds. It certainly can come in handy, especially when I loose so many pieces in my carpet. Thanks for the feedback and info! And good luck with yours and your wife's builds! I look forward to seeing them, no matter how long it takes...lol

Just a note for those looking to do Boba Fett's ship at this scale: I ditched the hairspray technique for this scale since it is more randomized and not as controlled as I'd like. If I ever get around to doing a studio scale model of the Slave 1, I'll certainly adjust my techniques as the larger size is easier to replicate finer details. What I did instead was to sketch in the general outlines of where the major chipping was, then actually use a brush to follow those lines. I blended everything in with my airbrush and used a light, pink wash to give that layered look underneath the hull red chipped paint. I followed the same strategy when doing the upper hull as well.

If your interested in colors used... For the bottom hull, I used Tamiya XF-19 for the grey, XF-9 Hull Red for the, well, red parts. To get the 'pink' I just added XF-2 White to it until I reached the desired consistency. The upper hull I used XF-11 J.N. Green. To get the lighter hull green, I mixed in some XF-19 and XF-2 until it looked right. For the darker green on the hull, I just took that mixture and added in more XF-11 until I thought it was right. As for the weathering, I'm exclusively using oil paints to apply detailing layers to my models. I use oils for the rust, streaks and even the yellow on the wings of the Boba's ship in lieu of the decals. I recommend picking up oil paints and practicing with them. It adds that little extra detail to the models that I really like.

If you would like to know what other colors I used for different areas, feel free to ask!

-Kris

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back