Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume - Friday Premiere Pics Page 3!!!

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume

Finished putting the belt together!

IMG_0490.JPG

To make the pouches look full but still be functional I used cardboard tubes cut in half. I glued two layers layers of the cardboard tubes together to make them stronger. By using the cardboard tubes it pushes the pouch out and leaves a hollow to put keys, money and other important items.

IMG_0491.JPG

Now onto the helmet leathers!

That belt is the bomb.

Thanks! I don't know if I will have time to upgrade the pouches before the movie premiere but the surplus pouches blend in pretty well. So I am in no hurry.

I did a little work on the helmet leathers to get an idea of how to put them together.

IMG_0493.JPG

I had a couple of free hours today so I decided to paint the helmet! Since it is still quite cold I used the airbrush in the indoor workshop. (Still need the space heater though!)

I put down a layer of white over the primer where the "A" and wings would go.

IMG_0496.JPG

I then cut out the "A" and wings using friskit paper. I forgot a picture here but you can see the outline in the blue base coat.

IMG_0497.JPG

Peeling the friskit off I was happy to see a clean "A" and then immediately bummed when each wing had a fair amount of bleeding. :(
Oh, well. I will thin out some paint and touch it up by hand. The whole helmet needs a dust coat and an overcoat to seal it and then on to the weathering!

IMG_0498.JPGIMG_0500.JPG

I also did some work on the gauntlets and the jacket but I will post some photos when they are in a state that makes it look like I did something to them! :lol

Looks great, keep going. I like the classic TFA but this Smithsonian version is really growing on me.

Yeah, the Smithsonian suit is really a mash-up of all the best elements of TFA, Ultimate and Comic styles. I'm interested to see how much screen time it gets.

Some progress shots!

One of the side panels.

IMG_0503.JPGIMG_0505.JPG

Near finished gauntlet with buckle added!

IMG_0502.JPG

Test Suit Up! - I give you....Hippie Captain America!

(don't worry, the beard is being shaved off for a charity event on Thursday!)

IMG_0511.JPG

I still have a bunch to do. I need to finish the boot toppers, the straps on the gloves, attach the ear pieces to the helmet and work on the shield brackets.

I also noticed in the test suit up that the side of the abs are "pooching" out. I think the problem is two-fold. The pockets still need to be glued/sewn shut and the back needs to be taken in a little more to fit tighter. I guess that is why we do test fittings!

More to come!

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume - Suit Up Test Pg. 2

Even with the finishing touches to be done, this looks really good. Nice job Sir.

strapworks.com sells them - they are a little wider from top to bottom than the screen ones and are silver but nothing some gold paint or antique brass rub & buff can't take care of.

Thanks to Wemustrepeat, the 2" tabs came in from strapworks.com and they fit great. I think I will leave them bright silver to match the rest of the hardware on the suit. More to go!

IMG_0512.JPG

Great job so far, man..now dirty that bad boy up

Yeah, I hope to have all the main parts finished by next weekend. That gives me a solid week to airbrush and weather it up!

Small updates. I did some work on the shield brackets. Due to the continued snow and cold here I chose to build up parts in HIPS for the brackets and reinforcing bits to stiffen the shield instead of fiberglass.

IMG_0529.JPG

Quick test on the helmet with leathers now that the beard is gone. I need to stiffen and pad out the chin cup a little more and add some leather/foam to the nose and eye area.

IMG_0526.JPG

I also was able to get one boot done! One more to go!

IMG_0530.JPG

I have been doing more work on the shield. I curve the HIPS with a heat gun and then cool it to the shape of the shield.

IMG_0531.JPG

I have glued a round disc to the center and two pieces to one side. The other side it curing right now. I am pleased with how stiff the shield is with these pieces glued in place. I am using plastic epoxy and it seems to hold quite nicely with just a bit of sanding to each side before glue.

IMG_0532.JPG

In other news, both boots are now done!

IMG_0533.JPG

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume - Shield Work and Boots Done!!

Looking good. What helmet did you go with?

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume - Shield Work and Boots Done!!

Looking good. What helmet did you go with?

I bought the helmet off eBay from a member on there by the name of makisssif. It works pretty well. The ear openings are a little narrow and the nose bridge is a little high for me. That causes a little gap but I was working on filling that in today. Overall it is good and fits my 23.5" head snugly.

Updates!
I reinforced the chin strap with a layer of brown foam cut and glued to shape. I think it took pretty well and makes the cup hold its shape.

IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0536.JPG

I also added some foam to the bridge of the nose to help close the gap there. I will still edge the "goggles" area with thin leather.

IMG_0537.JPG

I did a little work on the shield brackets tonight. I whipped up four of these little guys! They are layers of HIPS built up to hold the leather straps in the shield.

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

This is them in place to better see how they fit.

IMG_0543.JPG

Nice thread! I'm upgrading a Disguise shield right now. I did do fiberglass, but also used 1/8" hips brackets. I'm not building mine movie style though, so I opted for MUCH bigger, thicker brackets to ensure that the handles wouldn't come off.

Nice thread! I'm upgrading a Disguise shield right now. I did do fiberglass, but also used 1/8" hips brackets. I'm not building mine movie style though, so I opted for MUCH bigger, thicker brackets to ensure that the handles wouldn't come off.

Thanks! My hope is that with the brackets I have and a few hidden snaps I can get a movie look and have it hold up for use. Fingers crossed!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back