The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Brass plated buckle.
brassbuckle.jpg

How it was done:
Disclaimer: I take NO responsibility if you try this- do at your own risk. Make sure you follow any safety instructions as to how long you can run your torch. DO wear eye and body protection because HOT brass dust occasionally flies off the dremel. Obviously, keep water nearby and flammable stuff away. A small gas blowtorch (like the kind used to flambe or heavy soldering) was used to heat the buckle (held in a vice) and then a dremel with a brass brush was run over the surface. Took maybe 20 minutes to do the whole thing (My torch can reach up to 1300 degrees Celsius).

Last edited:
Brass plated buckle.
View attachment 387001

How it was done:
Disclaimer: I take NO responsibility if you try this- do at your own risk. Make sure you follow any safety instructions as to how long you can run your torch. DO wear eye and body protection because HOT brass dust occasionally flies off the dremel. Obviously, keep water nearby and flammable stuff away. A small gas blowtorch (like the kind used to flambe or heavy soldering) was used to heat the buckle (held in a vice) and then a dremel with a brass brush was run over the surface. Took maybe 20 minutes to do the whole thing (My torch can reach up to 1300 degrees Celsius).

joatrash, your attachment doesnt work.

Found this fabric at JoAnn Fabrics. It's not a straight match, but might be good for someone who wants to capture the feel of the bag and doesn't want to spend the time silk screening or custom printing.

20141009_140008.jpg

20141009_132909.jpg

I posted a picture in my build thread of a jig I machined to flatten my regular 5/8" snaps. If my custom made ones don't pan out, that's what I plan to do. You can't really do anything about the rounded sides though, or the smaller under side piece. Unless maybe the edges can be trimmed off and it would still set.

joatrash, any issues with the springs as far as you can tell? That was something I was nervous about because I know high heat can change/ruin tension in springs. The buckle looks fantastic​ though!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, these things come in 8mm and 12mm, do they look about right for anything?

$_12.JPG

And these ones come in 15, 17, or 20mm sizes.

$_12.JPG

The first ones are what Soulinertia and I bought for our bags, the second one is buttons for jeans. You can't set those into fabric.

Ok here you go, a way to change the color of the blue insert of the buckle with out having to take it apart and is super easy and cheap to do, just takes some time ;)
First you need to get Black color dye, "RIT" the key in this product is that IT WILL STAIN PLASTIC.

So part one of my buckles.
get a small pot as shown in photo, a way to prop the buckle so the hole thing is not submerst in water. Fill pot to just a about the blue part maybe an 1/8" over. Bring pot water to a simmer, not to hot as to melt the plastic and to were you can dip your finger in and not burn. 100degF is good. Next add your Black RIT dye, for the this small pot i added about 7 tablespoons. Next place buckle in dye water, i had 4 buckles so i taped them together and used the other end in one as a handle. Now the hard part, have to wait, for me i left it in for 1.5 hours. I would check it every 30min. tell the right color is achieved. The Dye does its best in hot water. After you get the color, wash off the buckle in warm water, you may need to use a small shop towel to wipe off any residue from the metal buckle. Thats it easy and simple. You can see in the photo the buckles next to each other, one with the blue and the one that was dye black.
BagBucklet-3.jpgBagBucklet-1.jpgBagBucklet-2.jpgBagBucklet-4.jpg

Step two to follow, which is the process of the black wear look on the buckles.

Just for clarification, the duck cloth is only the base of the fabric. JoAnn does not sell the circle printed fabric (that was production made, correct?) Just making sure I didn't need to spend an hour sifting through fabrics today. Thanks!

For those looking to print their own fabric, I did finally make it back to Jo-ann's. The fabric I bought is called "Duck Cloth" or "Duck Canvas", and the colors are Khaki and Classic Brown. I got some of the Nutmeg as well, which I personally like better to the naked eye, but it's lighter than the swatch I got from the Upper Deck card set.

I also sourced some synthetic leather upholstery fabric for the back and flap of the bag:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/soulinertia/Star Lord/20140923_084605.jpg

But then I found this vintage leather jacket with A TON of character on the cheap!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/soulinertia/Star Lord/20140923_090055.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/soulinertia/Star Lord/20140923_084642.jpg

I might dye some areas darker, but I really dig the look of it!

^ Nice effect on the buckle StarLordGoG :thumbsup

Over the weekend I found some time to work on my bag some more.

The 2" straps I acquired were in pristine condition and needed some distressing. If you recall, they started off looking like this:
20141001_220013.jpg

So I spent some time crushing the leather until it looked like this:
20141012_191030.jpg

I'm going for this look and feel:
c7daH5L.jpg

I'll be dying the straps to a darker brown, but I wanted to get the fit of everything worked out first.

After running it through the sewing machine:
20141012_214942.jpg

A few other straps as well:
20141012_215023.jpg

I used some more jacket remnants to make the straps that attach the D-rings to the bag. I used (qty.3) 2" D-rings and (qty.1) smaller 1.5" D-ring.
Here is a size comparison of the two:
e021664b-d318-479d-bb36-a32a09956ab8.jpg

And here is what they look like sewn into the bag. At this point the layers of fabric were way too thick to sew through, so I secured the D-ring that would bear the most weight with a bolt since I knew it would be hidden:
20141013_010422.jpg

20141013_010444.jpg

20141013_010714.jpg

20141013_010722.jpg

20141013_010749.jpg

I did the same with the other side, but I used a smaller bolt as it was all I had left in my junk drawer:
20141013_015758.jpg

1" strap in place:
20141013_023208.jpg

20141013_023339.jpg

Here is what the back of the bag looks like:
b89e8838-9b31-4db2-919a-af71a38ab453.jpg

I installed the 10mm rivets on the lower portion of the strap. (I still haven't distressed or installed the rivets up top though.)
20141013_024459.jpg

20141013_024552.jpg

I also still need to cut the notches out of the strap where it meets the buckle.

20141013_024535.jpg

Almost finished!

20141013_024843.jpg

Over the weekend I found some time to work on my bag some more.

Soul -

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread (been trying to keep up) - I want to do this bag not just for my Starlord costume, but also to use on day trips and the like, so I wonder if you can post up sort of a pattern/layout for how your bag is assembled? And the overall dimensions if possible? I am usually good about this kind of thing, but every single Starlord piece is juuust complex enough that my brain can't quickly process it - the bag's many layers being the culprit in this case.

Again, sorry if it was here and I didn't see it.

Thanks!

Soul -

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread (been trying to keep up) - I want to do this bag not just for my Starlord costume, but also to use on day trips and the like, so I wonder if you can post up sort of a pattern/layout for how your bag is assembled? And the overall dimensions if possible? I am usually good about this kind of thing, but every single Starlord piece is juuust complex enough that my brain can't quickly process it - the bag's many layers being the culprit in this case.

Again, sorry if it was here and I didn't see it.

Thanks!

If/when I make my second bag I'll work up a pattern. I didn't make one for this bag, just kinda "winged-it". The dimensions are approx 21" x 18" not counting the D-ring straps.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back