Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

That article summarized my issues with this show better than I ever could. Especially #1.

It just seems like they keep skipping over the genuinely interesting parts like...

the turning in the drug house/ church, the event on the interstate, the scene with the electrical grid collapsing, the shooting at the hospital, and how all of the dead were locked inside of that sports complex (or whatever it was)

... and just skip back to filler and family drama. All of those aforementioned scenarios would prove to be infinitely more interesting than their focus on the family unit. I could find that same exact drama by watching an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I expected elements of horror, suspense, intrigue, and a story of people thrust in to a situation where they are forced to survive in a situation they never would have expected. Instead, I got Keeping Up With The Kardashians with slightly uglier people (ie: the undead).

I could move past the issues with acting, lack of chemistry, and unlikable characters if they could string together a truly interesting plot. If their goal was to make the audience feel as "in the dark" as the characters in the show as to what is happening in the outside world... well I guess they've achieved that, but it's a boring premise.

I'll be done ranting on here since it appears there are still people who enjoy the show, so I'll stop pissing in their wheaties. But after the season finale, I'm done with this show unless they come out and say there are going to rapidly change pace and focus for the next season.

I think the Forbes article hit it dead on. As for the NG troops, I just don't buy that American troops (or any allied nations' troops) would be that quick to just go off a bunch of civilians (meaning the casts' neighborhood, not the stadium people). I agree they would be scared for their families, but I think most of them would know at a certain point that if their families weren't in safe zones by then they are gone. I did like that the troops seemed to have gotten rid of that a-hole Lt. (or Sgt?) who tried to force that "Mayor" guy to kill the walker.

I think the Forbes article hit it dead on. As for the NG troops, I just don't buy that American troops (or any allied nations' troops) would be that quick to just go off a bunch of civilians (meaning the casts' neighborhood, not the stadium people). I agree they would be scared for their families, but I think most of them would know at a certain point that if their families weren't in safe zones by then they are gone. I did like that the troops seemed to have gotten rid of that a-hole Lt. (or Sgt?) who tried to force that "Mayor" guy to kill the walker.

I definitely agree on this point, esp. with National Guard troops who are essentially reservists and not full time military, even their LT would be a part-timer with a regular day job when he's not drilling. Whoever the writers are they definitely don't know much about the military in general and even less about the National Guard, like, why would they be calling up Guard unit from San Diego to cover LA? And what's with their constant calling for corpsmen whenever they need a medic? This has go to be a first, more often than not most writers would have Marines calling for medics, I don't think I've ever heard Army/National Guard troops calling for a (Navy) corpsman.

wonder if they end up in "the desert" in that Hummer. Wait, Canada doesn't have deserts, so moot point.

I think they do, the Stargates were all filmed in Canada and they visited plenty of desert planets throughout the course of all 3 shows.

It's gotten a little better, mostly because there has been more screen time for characters besides the family walking around moodily starting and not saying any words or discussing anything.

Just about anything that focuses on something besides them is more interesting then them. That guy in the jail cell, Mr Salazar etc...

I loathed the first 10min. of the most recent episode, but some elements later were compelling. The new black guy in the military prison and the torture stuff were interesting. The military portrayal is borderline offensive.

I loathed the first 10min. of the most recent episode, but some elements later were compelling. The new black guy in the military prison and the torture stuff were interesting. The military portrayal is borderline offensive.

Borderline offensive? As a vet, I have been squirming in my seat this entire series. Were I there, I would have lit every single one of them up for what they do.

The one thing that Hollywood consistently gets wrong is the idea of soldiers blindly following orders no matter what they are. They don't understand that military personnel, when given orders to commit an act that is illegal and/or morally reprehensible and which would cast the military in a bad light, have a DUTY to disobey those orders.

However, it makes for a better villain when the military is a mindless machine following orders from above. The audience is less likely to sympathize with the on-screen bad guys if they all commit the same heinous acts.

Unless you're a U.S. Army Green Beret who roughs up a repeat child molester... (look it up)

I just hope the people involved with this show are reading the feedback and either fix this for the next seasons or totally wipe the slate clean and start over with a different cast.

In the world of FWD there is no zombie lore like our world is inundated with. Would someone please freak out at least one time over the idea of the dead rising up to walk and attack the living???
For crying out loud how nonchalant can people be when faced with the end of the world?

In the world of FWD there is no zombie lore like our world is inundated with. Would someone please freak out at least one time over the idea of the dead rising up to walk and attack the living???
For crying out loud how nonchalant can people be when faced with the end of the world?

I think this way too a lot.

I mean I dont care if there is no 'lore'... or any movies.... or the word zombie doesnt exist.

You can call them ABC's-123's or poopoo-kaka heads...

if 'people' arent dying.. and are walking around.. moaning/groaning, eating the living (or even other people as they still see them as human? and perhaps just sick..yadda yadda)

thats some scary sheet right there.. and you dont walk up to them, or talk to them, poke them..(whatever else).. gimmie a break.

It would have made more sense for the kid with the cam-corder (Chris?) to break through the fence and check out the house with the light/mirror, not the mom.

I think they are trying to shape her as the 'survivor' .. (maybe she'll be in the later TWD seasons?) (hahaha)

but I just dont think shes a strong enough actor/actress to command a role like that. its coming off as forced and not natural at all.

I can buy into gov. conspiracy, (why not? its always fun).. but the 'test the civilian' and do those type of acts.. (bleh)
I get it.. (no control, whos really got the control?)... just seemed like filler without reward/gain.

how many episodes of this? 6 was it?

the turning in the drug house/ church, the event on the interstate, the scene with the electrical grid collapsing, the shooting at the hospital, and how all of the dead were locked inside of that sports complex (or whatever it was)

... and just skip back to filler and family drama. All of those aforementioned scenarios would prove to be infinitely more interesting than their focus on the family unit. I could find that same exact drama by watching an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I expected elements of horror, suspense, intrigue, and a story of people thrust in to a situation where they are forced to survive in a situation they never would have expected. Instead, I got Keeping Up With The Kardashians with slightly uglier people (ie: the undead).

See, that's why you're never going to like the show. Because you're just looking for zombie action. That's it. Newsflash, this isn't a TV show about zombies. If you bothered to pay attention about entire series and original series, it's NEVER been about zombies. Read very closely.

This is a TV show about PEOPLE.

The zombies are nothing more than a force of nature. It could just as easily be wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc. It does NOT matter. Zombies just put a twist on the basic 'man vs nature' plot line. That they are dead people getting up and eating people is irrelevant.

This is a TV show about PEOPLE.

That means the focus is about the people, about yes their 'family drama' If you don't understand that, it'll never be a show you'll get or understand. It is about how people adapt and change when their world comes crashing down, when everything that sustained a culture is gone, about man vs nature. It's about the way people interact with each other when all social graces end up going out the window and survival is the very key to everything. Period.

Get it? Probably not, but thankfully the last episode is coming up and after you complain about it there won't be any more whining from you about the show not meeting your misplaced preconceptions.

It's so ham handed and heavy fisted. Terrible writing. And the daughter throwing rocks at the fence calling them fascists speaks to what the writers think about the subject.

I don't think you were paying attention. Did she believe it personally? I doubt it. Was it a ruse to draw the guy out and away from the rest so they could capture him and get the information the barber wanted? Yes.

And regarding being offended.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”[/h]

I don't think you were paying attention. Did she believe it personally? I doubt it. Was it a ruse to draw the guy out and away from the rest so they could capture him and get the information the barber wanted? Yes.

And regarding being offended.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

its offensive intellectually. It's poorly realized.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back