Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

The writing is horrible. I don't mind SOME stupidity from main characters, but it doesn't seem like they have any common sense whatsoever. That affects the performances from the actors. Even a good actor here only has so much to work with.
It doesn't help that the characters are almost entirely unlikeable. There are a few moments here and there, but at any given moment anyone can become zombie chow and i wouldn't miss them, especially the blonde mom. I don't know why, but her performance seems all over the map. The best character is the barber, of course.
You can easily have the characters do the right thing and still have something go wrong, far too often the writers have someone do something incredibly stupid to create danger or drama.
This show pales in comparison to TWD, and even that show has it's issues.

They have already said that in TWD "world" that zombies don't exist, and probably horror movies don't exist either. The concept of a dead person getting up and walking around is a totally alien concept to these people.

Even so most people know that the quickest way to kill something is to shoot it in the head.

I would have thought that Travis at least would have brought Griselda's injury to the National Guard's attention. There should have been qualified medics there (unless they were already dealing with the hospital(s).

That's exactly what I was saying. They show the National Guard coming out of the house, so if they saw an injured person the first thing they would say is "How were you injured? Were you bitten?" They knew enough to ask if anyone was exposed to blood so I'm assuming they might know bites transmit it or give you an increased dose or whatever. Even if the NG didn't ask, surely they would ask for a medic. If she turns that's just horrible writing.

Even so most people know that the quickest way to kill something is to shoot it in the head.

And yet they are by and large trained to aim for center of mass, because that's where most vital organs are and it's a bigger target. It's not like they never shot anyone in the head. The cops on that first night eventually shot the walker in the head, but only after he bit a few people. And the cops in the street just before the riot were shooting in the head. You people just have no idea how you'd behave in a world that never had zombies because you can't actually separate yourself from your existing knowledge. What if killing a person by smashing their head in even though they can't harm you because they are separated from you by a fence results in someone being arrested and charged with murder? What if while smashing that person's head in you come in contact with their blood, will you get infected? What if there IS a cure, do you want to make that irreversible decision of murdering your neighbor?

I really don't get the 'all the characters are unlikable' thing.

Kim - high school guidance counselor. She went out of her way to try to keep a kid from being suspended/expelled when she knows he's not really a threat to the student body. She has a kid who is a long term drug addict and has been kicked out of every rehab facility in the area. She's stressed from the school work, she's had her son missing for days (weeks?) and when he shows up he's in the hospital after being hit by a car. She's over it, as any parent would be after a child has repeatedly gotten himself into legal and medical issues with his drug addiction.

Cliff - teacher who is trying to build a new life with his fiance who has troubled child. He wants to help any way he can, and when seeing the son for the first time in a medical situation (or only a few instances) does what he can to try to help him. He believes the kid had a bad experience, and wants to trust him, but in doing so also wants to verify what happened. He risked his own life to help the woman he loves with her son by going to a drug den. His own son, when he knows he's at risk, tries to get him out of the riot zone. He's slow to accept what is happening, but that's not at all unusual when this is the very first time in history in their world a zombie epidemic has started, and he's going into the situation as anyone else would with ignorance of reanimated people eating corpses.

Frank - druggie kid. Everything that's happening to him is his own fault. But he's like any other drug addict, self centered, flawed, a real pain in the ass. He's going to worry about his next fix more than anything. Because that's what drug addicts do.

Alycia - over achieving teenager with a boyfriend. There's nothing about that description that's going to make her parents have an easy time. Teenage girls are the worst. They are made worse when you lie and conceal important evidence like the dead coming back to life to kill people.

Lorenzo - he's a teenage boy that thinks everything in the world is about him. Teenage boys are the second worst thing. Thinks that everything he does is important and he's changing the world by everything he does. Doesn't even bother to answer his father's phone calls. He's a ******, because you know what? Teenage boys are douches.

Ruben - protecting his family after getting out of war zones. He's pretty much right about human behavior, and how he's trying to protect his family from the really bad situation coming down the road.

Tobias - teenager who actually pays attention to the world and isn't so stupid to think the government is going to tell the people everything that's happening. Smart, but extremely frightened by what's coming, and knowing how he's likely going to die along with his family very soon, but at least trying to do what he can for his family. Tried to protect the one person at his school who tried to help him with a pen knife.

Seriously, these are average people in an extraordinary situation. They are behaving more or less no different than most of you would in the same situation.

Was there something about that particular street that brought the National Guard there? I mean, are we supposed to believe every neighborhood street in LA got that same courtesy visit? No way I ever see that happening in real life, there's like over 4 million people in the metro area alone - and more as you fan out.

Just caught up with this in the UK.
Its hard to believe that in a world where Zombie culture is so prevalent that people would react the way that they do here. Given the speed people tweet and twitter and film everything on their mobiles these days I found it almost impossible to accept the evolution of the story lines. There are just so many moments that come across as entirely fake and character actions that are so illogical I felt the urge to yell at them in frustration . I was particularly enraged in the third episode with the Alsatian, and the "oh lets shine and wave the torch out of the window" to let every zombie know we are in the house. And the Susan "isn't well" moments just after they have run a kid over multiple times ?????? Please.
I think the characters are fairly true to life, which is why I probably don't care for many of them, but overall their behaviours are just so bizarre and inconsistent I find I don't really care about them. Which is a bit of a draw back when I'm supposed to be rooting for their survival.
I think certain formulaic horror dramas are becoming so predictable they simply are not interesting viewing. There is nothing new to learn here so lets move on.
I read today that they are going to do a series based on "The Mist". That could be very interesting ,if only because I think its one of Kings best novellas, I liked the film adaptation (apart from the terrible end) and it could have a huge variety of monsters, rather than just the now boring zombie plagues

I really don't get the 'all the characters are unlikable' thing.

Kim/Madison - She's unreasonable and combative most of the time. Then in scenes where she should have a line or two, she stares in complete silence. Trying to keep her daughter in the dark about things is idiotic and fetching drugs for her son is even worse. These kinds of things make me dislike her character the most! Cannot wait for her to die a slow painful death.

Cliff/Travis - Really stupid decision making - going to a crack house in the middle of the night by himself completely unarmed. Bring a damn knife at least! He didn't even tell anyone he was going. If something did happen to him, like a crazed junkie attacking him for his wallet. No one would have any idea where to even start looking. Pretty dumb. If he wanted to investigate, he should have went in the day with a buddy and had some sort of weapon for self defense. At least a crow bar, knife, etc. Then his line about being anti-gun after all that's happened in episode 3 was the real clencher for me. I hope his son ends up saving his life with a gun later on so he has a change of heart. Then I hope he gets eat'n by walkers anyways.

Frank/Nick - The most interesting character of the bunch. At least he is the voice of reason in most scenes, trying to wrangle in the rest of the idiots. I can see his character evolving.

Alycia/Alicia - With all that's going on: her bf getting bitten in some mysterious way that no one seems to be interested in, children across the street getting attacked, people getting blasted by the cops left and right, etc. She is still acting like a stupid "typical" teenager with attitude. It's too easy to hate her. I'm not sensing any fear here. A very flat character. Hope she dies.

Lorenzo/Chris - "he's a teenage boy that thinks everything in the world is about him. Teenage boys are the second worst thing. Thinks that everything he does is important and he's changing the world by everything he does. Doesn't even bother to answer his father's phone calls. He's a ******, because you know what? Teenage boys are douches."

Couldn't have said it better myself. And your asking why these characters are unlikable??? He hasn't had much screen time, so I'll give him a chance to turn it around. He's actually one of the less ridiculous characters of the bunch.

Ruben/Daniel - Best character on the show so far. He's an ******* with survival instinct. What's not to like about this guy?

Lincoln/Tobias - I don't really have any problem with his character, except for that he's kind of a cliché.

Seriously, these are average people in an extraordinary situation. They are behaving more or less no different than most of you would in the same situation.

I strongly disagree.

I would do something different in almost every situation. I wouldn't be going to crack houses in the middle of the night by myself unarmed. I wouldn't leave my family to find drugs for my junkie son, and certainly not by myself. I wouldn't be shining my flashlight out the windows drawing attention to myself and I wouldn't leave the doors open for zombies to walk right in. etc.

The overall general lack of fear is what really takes me out of this world. For example, when Nick ran over his drug dealer . . . repeatedly in front of his mother and Travis, they should have been out of their minds terrified, especially since they have never heard of the term "zombie". They should have been hysterical and screaming all over themselves. Instead they were more like . . . "boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really go out of hand fast. Son, you killed a guy (with a trident). You should probably find a safehouse and lay low for a while because your probably wanted for murder."

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lived in LA my entire life, there is nothing LA about FTWD's version of LA.

After three episodes I cant tell you a single characters name.

Cant blame bad acting due to horrible writing but they are in bed together.

No doubt due to the bait and switch pilot = huge ratings there will be a second season. Unless drastic measures are taken, that will start to kill viewership of TWD itself due to guilt by association.

What I would rather see:

The Dad is a meter maid in West LA/Hollywood. Nobody likes a meter maid and that little scooter car would be hilarious to escape zombies in.

The Mom is a one time junkie that drives an 88 Mercury Zephyr with ripped burgundy cloth interior because nothing hides your stash better than those old seats. She teaches drug awareness classes not for the meaning and betterment of people but to pay the rent.

Kids, meh. Dont really need them. Maybe Mom was at an recovery meeting scoring free snacks and gets knocked up while getting coffee by a bail bondsman. Because we need a bad guy to root for.

The Bail Bondsman has ties to underground dealings as well as cops and other inside information. He also carries a few weapons and knows fast routes, well, faster routes, through town

Wait, we MUST have kids? Really? OK, well, adopted. Moving on,,,

Nobody is likable in LA. This is whats missing with the horrible FTWD characters as they are trying to better the world and be outstanding citizens. Typically LA people are obnoxiously ignorant to other people, can ignore a gunshot ridden vehicle speeding past them with brain matter all over the rear windows, dont talk to much less know the names of neighbors, will grab pitchforks and riot when the power goes out for three seconds,,,

Dont get me started on this hipster culture and other fads.

No doubt due to the bait and switch pilot = huge ratings there will be a second season. Unless drastic measures are taken, that will start to kill viewership of TWD itself due to guilt by association.

Well there we go, what do you think was bait and switch about the pilot? Technically there wasn't a pilot either, they filmed all 6 back to back. A pilot suggests filming one show and seeing if the series is purchased for a season.

A pilot WAS ordered. Its about understanding how things work that it went to a short series run out of the gate. In this case, two seasons. If you can make two for the price of one why not make sixteen for the price of six? Its low budget 101, reduce, reuse, recycle. It doesnt matter how bad or good it is, people will watch as TWD is super happy fun time hot right now. It will make oil freighter gobs of money. Will it make season three before losing more than half its viewership? WIll it make the golden season four and go into syndication? Likely yes, again, its a cash cow based solely on TWD name brand. But, what has been seen can not be unseen, and its terrible thus far. Its not LA, not by a looooong shot.

I know how to save the show!!! It just dawned on me, Shane shows up at the finale of this season and shoots every single character, seven rounds in a six shot revolver as a matter of fact. Then he uses Hershel's unlimited ammo shotgun hack to obliterate anyone else involved. Then we carry on to the real LA showing cars at In-n-Out lined up blocking oncoming traffic, hipsters voicing opinions online about corporate take overs while typing on a MAC at Starbucks, half the time its not certain if someone is a zombie or just stoned, and nobody knows anything bad is happening because they are already stuck in their cars behind ignorant Prius drivers.
Its just Shane, an unlimited ammo shotgun, a seven shot six shot revolver, and a cordless hair clipper. The new tagline will be "Let me tell you somethin".

Or is that the new Punisher movie?

I'm still hopeful, and it looks like tonight's episode might start to show us more of the proverbial **** hitting the fan.

I'm a life-long LA native as well, and there have been certain situations that seemed totally LA. I love that there was rioting going on in the previous episode, including a zombie cop attacking someone in the street, yet the rioting just continuous like it's all normal. That part was perfect! Ditto for the shots of the shambling homeless that leave you wondering whether they are zombies, but either way nobody takes notice.

Hey, Sandrine Holt has arrive! Hurray! Hope her character survives a while in this zombie apocalypse, as compared to the previous time (*coughResidentEvilApocalypsecough*)

Love the use of Perfect Day by Lou Reed in the opening scene, since the song itself is a bit sinister and romantic.

Clearly, the military guy is evil. Want to know why? Think about it: what other character we've seen in the shows that played golf, seen whacking balls off into an abandoned street,, and happened to be in charge of a walled-in community? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yeah, I like how the national guard guys are being portrayed. There as rescuers, but clearly a worse threat than the zombies.

- - - Updated - - -

Its hard to believe that in a world where Zombie culture is so prevalent that people would react the way that they do here.

Do everyone a favor and go back and read the thread.

I'm still hoping that the show will improve, but I'm not betting the farm on it this far in.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed when Mommy Dearest finally had enough and bitch-slapped junkie-son. It's like she did what everyone watching would hope she did. No more coddling. No more excuses. Just beat some sense into the boy.

It's also a shame because they are wasting some good talent in Alycia Debnam-Carey. It takes some serious acting skills to convincingly play an average high school student after convincingly playing the Grounder leader Lexa in The 100.

Yes, THIS Lexa:

latest

No one knows what zombies are in this universe, and let's even assume they are a bit dense in the supernatural department... hopefully that makes it easier for you to accept. Kids are unlikable IRL, so let's understand that and move on. Calling the cops to search a crack house has nevwr raised tension.

Hopefully these National Guard jack thungs up by trying to quarantine, inadvertently tuna canning everyone and finally fullfilling alot of people's wishes of LA being destroyed. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back