BTTF1 high school cafeteria milk bottle

Well, technically they aren't. They are handled by different people. The prop people make stuff that is of some sicnificance to the story (in BTTF the paper stuff for instance) while set dressing (stuff like chairs, curtains or in this care, the periodically accurate milk container) is done by different people on set. There's a good article about this hereUsing Set Dressings & Props In Your Film to Distinguish Character Or Advance the Plot

Last edited:
VilleLeskinen, what is your opinion on Docs clocks scene where it pans past his clocks?
According to the article, from what I read they consider those set dressings as well.

Well, technically they aren't. They are handled by different people. The prop people make stuff that is of some sicnificance to the story (in BTTF the paper stuff for instance) while set dressing (stuff like chairs, curtains or in this care, the periodically accurate milk container) is done by different people on set. There's a good article about this hereUsing Set Dressings & Props In Your Film to Distinguish Character Or Advance the Plot

"it’s simpler to distinguish a prop as something that actually is needed and is somehow related to the action of the plot." So the Pepsi perfect and the Diet Pepsi are not props then? :p

Or the clock tower flyer. According to the distinction the blue flyer is a prop and the white and yellow flyers are just set dressing. That's stupid. :lol

Well, the clocks were most likely none custom made so they would be put on display by a set decorator. The futuristic Pepsi products that were custom made for BTTF 2 would have been handled by the prop department so they would be considered props. It's not always as clear as there is some overlapping on the works of different departments.

"it’s simpler to distinguish a prop as something that actually is needed and is somehow related to the action of the plot." So the Pepsi perfect and the Diet Pepsi are not props then? :p

Technically they are props. Doc not only mentions to Marty to buy a Pespsi but buying a Pepsi is essential to why Marty McFly Jr. was going to be in the cafe 80's. Also, the cost and look of the PP add to Marty's confusion about the future. He struggles to open it and it sets his character in he future. Background "set dressing" is something not handled or noticed by a principal actor. For instance, the clock tower is technically a prop.

I hope my posts didn't come off as demeaning or anything as that was never my intention. I think it's cool that you found what you were looking for, Roland! If the bottle is what you want from the movie, that's all that should matter. I was merely trying to point out the difference between the terms set dressing and props.

I hope my posts didn't come off as demeaning or anything as that was never my intention. I think it's cool that you found what you were looking for, Roland! If the bottle is what you want from the movie, that's all that should matter. I was merely trying to point out the difference between the terms set dressing and props.

Most of the bottles look to be fairly important for some reasons, they distinguish the time travels... From soda glass to milshake glass to Pepsi bottles etc... I mean you can see almost the same exact prop but in their time, which makes it interesting. And counting the fact that they appear several times xD!

Like the pepsi bottle from the 50's... It appears almost everywhere during the time travel xD! In Lauren's house (on the table, during dinner), when Marty gets a cola at the station, at the Lou's cafés etc.. xD

Let's take the Frisbee pie tin as an example. If this was just used as a set dressing to establish that the actors are in a certain time period, then this would be a set dressing. BUT since it was noticed and handled by a principal actor then it becomes a prop. There is a distinct difference.

Another example would be the "skateboard" from the 1950's. If we only saw the kids riding these in the background and Marty never took notice of them or touched it, then it would be a set dressing. But since he took notice of it and handled it, it then becomes an essential prop. This would be the same as if Marty had taken notice of the "spring shoes" that a kid is using when Marty crosses the street in 1955. They are there, they are used to set the time period BUT Marty does not take notice of them nor does he handle them, therefore they are a set dressing only.

To mirror what VilleLeskinen said, it all matters what YOU like and want to collect. I was just clarifying to PHArchivist why I wouldn't want one. It's ALWAYS cool to see set dressing found in real life. Sorry for the thread derailment.

BTW, I LOVE that you, Emma, are collecting all the Blast from the Past items. I would really like to see that whole window display done like you did your Toy Story collection.

Also Roland is my BTTF hero, so whatever he wants is totally cool! You too Emma! ;)

BTW, I LOVE that you, Emma, are collecting all the Blast from the Past items. I would really like to see that whole window display done like you did your Toy Story collection.
Also Roland is my BTTF hero, so whatever he wants is totally cool! You too Emma! ;)

Hahha that's sweet! Yeah I wish I had enough space to have a huge display cabinet xD! But yeah, I might take a picture of the blast from the past stuff some day, like aligned, as they are in the movie xD!

Roland is totally cooool :D (You too Brad xD)

Yeaaay xD I need a straw now, do they have just white plain straws?

P1040622.jpg

Hey Emma, you've got it! That's great! :)

Yes, the straws seem to be all white in the movie and on the photo in my movie book.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back