Big Daddy costume from Kick Ass

Yea, now that i'm a little more comfortable with the vest portion; what'd be the best way to attach the armor plates to his clothes? It seems his leg armor is attached via a strap system, but his arm and shoulder armor bug me. It's pretty clear he's wearing a jacket of some sort, so is that armor sewed in? I can't see any straps on either of his arms.

If the above is true, that it is sewed in, does that mean he's wearing two jackets? In his last scene, where he's getting the crap beat out of him, he is not wearing any armor except for his helmet and jacket. Thoughts?

Edit: Hang on, looking back over I see his strap for his elbow pads; but not the other plates.

Edit x2: You know something, Big Daddy, the man we all revere and love, is wearing chaps. His armor plates are sewed on to the chaps. The same goes with his arms. Now i know what you are talking about Studio; se's got these arm sleeve slip ons that have the armor attached. These pics I chopped up from the promo pics should clear that up. His costume is actually pretty involved with the amount of pieces he wears.

Tactical Chaps. :lol

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems any armor plates that have the cloth edging around them were sewn down to the costume. The only plates without the cloth edging are the 4 top-of-shoulder plates, and they flop around a little (but not a whole lot, so they are secured pretty good up there.)

Oh, here's a decent "under arm" screenshot of BD, and a good hint of what is under the cape.

ref_bd_warehouse_rightarmup_01.jpg

ref_bd_warehouse_rightarmup_02.jpg

Last edited:
Now that we've pretty much narrowed down the elements of the costume, what would be the best way of approaching this? I'm more interested in the neck piece/shoulder armor shoulder shawl thingie. The extent of my sewing skills is sewing on a patch. So any thoughts and ideas on how to attach everything?

Now that we've pretty much narrowed down the elements of the costume, what would be the best way of approaching this? I'm more interested in the neck piece/shoulder armor shoulder shawl thingie. The extent of my sewing skills is sewing on a patch. So any thoughts and ideas on how to attach everything?

I plan to sew my own flak vest (will be using a UTG Molle for Halloween unless I finish the final vest before) and will also create the neck piece out of rubber with cloth trim, which will all be attached to the flak vest itself. This week I will be making the armor plates and vacing them from black ABS as well as creating the cape. My plan is to attach as many parts (shoulder armor, cape, etc) to the vest itself so it makes it a one piece setup, easy for putting on and taking off quickly. My plan at this time is to incorporate webbed attachments along the shoulder armor to allow the shoulder plates to attach, but also allow enough freedom to flex between plates. I will post a WIP soon with my progress as I get closer to creating the pieces and having something to share.

looking forward to it Judge. I was thinking of using a High Impact Polyurethane for the armor. (haha I made a funny :lol) Just unsure how easy it would be to form and get those creases? I imagine a little working with a heat gun and a sharp edge should yield something acceptable. I already got some non-descript racing gauntlets for $30; can't justify handing down +$100 for the authentic gloves no matter how cool they look. Time will tell! Still trying to find an appropriate Molle Vest to jump start everything.

Oh, and this looks awfully similar to his drop down holster.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA026-33.html

Looking forward to some progress!

Last edited:
The more I look at it the more I think that BD's base armor is custom made, it just doesn't look much like any plate carrier or body armor that I've seen. The closest one I've seen is a brand new one from Crye but it's too new to possibly be it and I think it comes in MultiCam only too. What's making me think that it's a custom job is the openness of the sides, all of the body armor that I've seen wraps all the way around and doesn't leave such a large gap on the sides. The other thing is that the vest doesn't seem to have any MOLLE straps on the back either, something that all plate carriers and tac-vests that I've seen have. Lastly, the whole thing seems fairly soft to me; look at the close up shot of his back and side and you'll see a lot of wrinkles like it's fabric sewn over some padding, something that you don't see in real vests even airsoft fakes don't wrinkle like that.

Last edited:
Hey, has anyone managed to find anything out about those leg braces? I've been looking all over and I can't find much of anything on them.

it any body already build the bid daddy costume???

I've seen a couple Big Daddy costumes floating around, but haven't seen any screen quality costumes assembled as of yet. I'm in the process of my build and would ultimately like to have it ready by Halloween. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen as I want to take my time with him. The good news is that I'll have something that will work for the time being and later will upgrade parts and pieces. :)

Bump. Just wanted to share my big daddy costume (minus gloves and mask - gloves because I couldn't take the picture with them and mask because it is drying as we speak). Keep in mind this is my first attempt at ever making a costume. I think it turned out alright.
2010-10-25205817.jpg

2010-10-25205759.jpg

Has anyone else made this costume? I'd like to see what others have done....I've searched online can cant even find one example. I will post more pics with the whole thing all together in a few days. Actual better quality pictures.

Has anyone else made this costume? I'd like to see what others have done....I've searched online can cant even find one example. I will post more pics with the whole thing all together in a few days. Actual better quality pictures.

I posted this over in the Hit Girl thread, but here's my slap jobbed Big Daddy. :lol I had two hours to work with everything so this is the result of two hours of sloppy work. It will get me by for Halloween with my daughter.

After Halloween I will again start from scratch and rebuild the entire costume.

kick-ass-hit-girl-costume-67276_487001590398_586815398_7312603_7475762_n.jpg-37009d1288033947

Looking good you two, not bad for a quick costume job.

Hellfast, how did you attach the armor to the vest? I'm still a little unsure on how to approach on my costume. Thanks!

You make a perfect pair Hellfast. If I saw you two out trick-or-treating, I would def ask for a picture. But what made your daughter want to be Hit Girl? Did she see the movie?

I posted this over in the Hit Girl thread, but here's my slap jobbed Big Daddy. :lol I had two hours to work with everything so this is the result of two hours of sloppy work. It will get me by for Halloween with my daughter.

After Halloween I will again start from scratch and rebuild the entire costume.

kick-ass-hit-girl-costume-67276_487001590398_586815398_7312603_7475762_n.jpg-37009d1288033947

How did you make the big daddy headwear?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back