Starlord's sony walkmen? guardian of the galaxy?

Is there actually anyone here that hasn't already bought the soundtrack?

^^ This.

I totally get Kevin's point, but if you're searching out (semi) accurate cassettes to play in your TPS-L2, you've probably already bought the soundtrack in one form or another. It's a little silly to think that the Walkman is someone's primary listening device these days.

The ironic point is I've purchased both the hard album and the iTunes copies. I left the cd unopened for nostalgic and other value.

I understand Kevin's point, and It didn't even occur to me that people who are on this forum looking to recreate from the movie haven't spent obscene amounts of money on marvel properties, like comics and memorabilia, items listed above.

I meant no offense, and certainly didn't condone outright piracy. My tape sounds great for a tape deck, but is inferior to my hifi and digital copy. It's the nostalgia listening to the background static on a tape that I'm paying for, not an end run around the artists or marvel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished these:

20150228_233745.jpg

20150228_233409.jpg

20150228_233330.jpg

20150228_232916.jpg

20150228_232818.jpg

20150228_232751.jpg

As you've probably guessed, these aren't actual SONY MDR-5a headphones. They're a pair of vintage Zenith headphones I've customized: repainted silver, custom orange foam, screen inserts, custom decals and even a 3D printed piece. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I should paint up my BM-12 blue to look like a TPS-L2 or if I should just leave it silver. I think it looks pretty cool with the custom sony and walkman stickers on it. What do you guys think?

Depends on what you want it for. Silver is cool but not akin to starlords walkman. Those headphones look spot on, though!

If your intent was to work on the headphones to recreate the ones in the movie, then you're already half way there I'd not more! Find the right colors and give new life to it.

GAH! Anyone got a link to those orange ear foam pieces? I know they were posted on one of the SL threads but now there are so many that I cannot remember which one it was in!! Also were they a good dimension to the 3D printed MDR-5a?

GAH! Anyone got a link to those orange ear foam pieces? I know they were posted on one of the SL threads but now there are so many that I cannot remember which one it was in!! Also were they a good dimension to the 3D printed MDR-5a?

Try an ebay search: "Vintage Headphone 2 inch Foam Orange Color for Guardians of Galaxy"

Yes, they work for the 3D printed MDR-5a ;)

Those are the ones I used on mine:
20150201_155911.jpg

Got my headphones. They aren't mdr 5as but the very similar sony mdr-3. Got them on eBay for a real steal as well. I think you just have to be on there searching for the low prices items, sometimes people don't catch them and you luck out. Anyway, the sound quality and look of them is just right, and they are super comfortable too! They had to ship from half way around the world but here they are!

Got orange pads for the earpiece for 5 bucks on eBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426430909.914382.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426430930.761379.jpg

I finally got around to adding vinyl labels to my pseudo walkman. It is actually a Realistic brand of similar vintage. Realistic is the house brand of Radio Shack. I got it for 99 cents on eBay. I airbrushed the blue and silver on. Still needs an orange button added. This is, of course, the mirror image of the Sony one since it opens and has buttons on the left not right. Not bad for the price though! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426968839.593290.jpg

Nice job on that. Can't beat 99 cents!

This is a Panasonic one I converted a few weeks ago. The buttons were on the wrong side of this one as well, so I just flipped it upside down and installed the decals that way.

panasonic1.jpg

panasonic2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you did an awesome job. Really fine work there. Im working with a set of Nova 35 headphones and
a WM-3 black walkman thats in great shape. Not sure if im going to attempt to paint it blue or not.

Hello,
Just receive my TPS L2. The MDR 5a earphones my father bought in 1980.
The drive motor of the TPS L2 doesnt work.... Belts are OK and red light works.
Any options there to fix the drive motor. Any people can fix that problem?? Its easy ?? Thanx

IMG_20160620_125041.JPG

Last edited:
Okay guys. This is my first ever attempt to do anything with cosplay. I bought a Sony BM-12 on Ebay for $30. I took it apart, air brushed the shell with model master's french blue paint, and reassembled. I then put the decals I got on etsy on the front. Let me know what you guys think.
20160725_234226.jpg
20160725_234042.jpg
20160725_234209.jpg

Attachments

• 20160725_234248 (1).jpg
    20160725_234248 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 190
Hi all,

This is my first post, I hope it's in the right thread...

I have just finished putting in a considerable amount of time repairing what was a terribly bad condition Sony Walkman TPS-L2 that I got from a guy in Austria a few months ago for about €50.

When I got it, it didn't even turn on, some of the screws had completely been stripped from a previous botch repair job, the battery compartment had corroded and it was generally filthy, sticky and full of sand (I guess this was taken to the beach a lot).

I've spent many hours taking the whole thing apart, carefully drilling out some of the old ruined screws, replacing some missing screws, cleaning up the battery area and swabbing as much grime and dirt off as I could. I also replaced the two drive belts that had perished away too.

It's not perfect but it plays tapes now which is a vast improvement on how it was when I got it. I'm going to attempt a more thorough clean of the heads and demagnetise it to see if that improved the wow and flutter as well.

One of my really big annoyances though is that the battery "push" button is missing on mine. At the moment I've just got a bit of blue electrical tape to keep it shut but I'd love to have the real button on there.

Has anyone done any 3D printed design of this I could get done in resin or something high definition? Or Perhaps people in this thread can identify any other Sony Walkmen (is that the right pluralised word for more than one? lol) that contains the same part.

I also need some sort of belt clip but I'm unsure what do connect it to without drilling a hole into the back of the case and bolting on a clip.

Thanks.

tps.jpg

Last edited:
Another thought I had a lot simpler than 3D printing was just if someone is able to make a resin copy of their own button? It's a simple procedure to make a mold and cast a copy of this small part. I'd be willing to pay.

That tab seems common to fall off since it only has a small spring and is held in with what looks like a strip of tape from the inside. I have a bunch of WM-3 and 2 TPS-L2 and only 2 of them have the button still intact.

For the belt clip, instead of drilling you could use double sided foam tape to hold a belt clip on, or even use something like picture hangers, so if you get tired of the clip it doesn't ruin the TPS-L2 value.

That tab seems common to fall off since it only has a small spring and is held in with what looks like a strip of tape from the inside. I have a bunch of WM-3 and 2 TPS-L2 and only 2 of them have the button still intact.

For the belt clip, instead of drilling you could use double sided foam tape to hold a belt clip on, or even use something like picture hangers, so if you get tired of the clip it doesn't ruin the TPS-L2 value.
My blue electrical tape might have to do for now then to hold the battery compartment shut.

As for the belt clip I've just used really strong ducktape to hold in place a belt clip from a tape measure onto it. Seems to hold well enough for cosplay usage but I wouldn't want to go running with it.

793-back_z.jpg

Talk about the clips got covered in the Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord thread. One person used a clip similar to the one on your tape measure, but it was longer - I think Tandy had them? If you search that thread you might find more info on that type of clip.

I used a spring-loaded clip from a mobile phone holster - you can see it here: post #1874.
I used a double sided sort of tape to attach it, can be removed later to avoid damage to the Walkman. Even so, I dunno I'd want to go jogging with it anyway - it's a heavy little piece of electronics. The original case for walking with the Walkman looked like a shoulder strap purse for a reason, I'm thinking.

Good luck with it!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My son and I are making a replica walkman, as a little father/son bonding exercise. We're desperate for the Sony Walkman decals, does anyone know where or how we could get them? We're in the UK. We've tried using the embossed logo from an old Walkman, but it doesn't look very good. Any help, and pointers, would be fantastic.

Tia

Stevie.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back