HEEEELLLPPPP (Doctor who Replica)

Tommyd987

For the past few days i have been in a constant battle with myself over this decision, it's like Kill The Moon over here! I need your advice and help and would love for a response :)

I've always wanted a replica 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver, as long as i can remember. And Rubbertoe seems perfect. But £650!!!!! Phew that's way too much for me..... until

You see recently i came into the sum of £2100. Yes £2100 and for little 16 year old me, wow that's a lot.

But now i am thinking to myself, is it wise? is it worth it for something that other than looking awesome doesn't do to much? Argh!!! What to do...

I adore the Sonic and there is rarely time goes by when i don't give it a subconscious thought, but i really need some help!

I have a substantial collection of replicas already, ranging from Tennant's Screwdrivers to Paul Mcganns so i'm not new to this pain either.

Should i get it? Should i keep the money and stare at it gaining 0.0004% Interest as i grow a beard and look at the empty void on my shelf?

PLease help. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Just my honest opinion. and please don't take my opinion to seriously. I'm a spender. but It looks like you would have quite a bit of cash left. I say get It and save the rest...

Ok, here is my 2cents I don't have a lot of money to f up, so I look for ways to maximize my buying power, I am not a big fan of dr who but I do like the sonic screw drivers, at
barnes & nobles (a bookstore here in the states) they sell several versions of the sonic screwdriver for $25 us I am pretty sure you could get a decent one or several

Last edited:
Do you plan to keep it as a collectable of carry it around. If it is one of your favorite props and is for collecting, you can't do better than this one.

I will allow you to buy it if you promise to leave the rest of the money for a few years. Invest it wisely until you need it for your first home.
I don't see these losing their value any time soon.

I don't see these loosing their value. I'm not saying that collecting props is generally a good way to invest your money. It's made the rest of us broke :)
But, a signature piece made in very limited quantity by the original prop maker probably will hold it's value or go up as time goes by. So, you'd probably get a better return on your money then you would by putting it in the bank.

my .02

Well guys you'll all be happy to know that at about 4pm today i bit the bullet and bought it! It should be here in November and i'll definetly be posting some pictures up of it :)
Thanks for all the help guys! It was Fantastic :)

Just my little old opinion, but if I had £2100 I would have bought the universal remote. It looks pretty much 100% accurate and it has a degree of function, although the only drawback is that it doesn't extend like the actual prop.

You can either buy it and consider its value might grow consequently through the years, or have a thought for yourself and find someone to sell you a converted remote for 250 Pound. These conversions look really good and I know a few adresses.

You can either buy it and consider its value might grow consequently through the years, or have a thought for yourself and find someone to sell you a converted remote for 250 Pound. These conversions look really good and I know a few adresses.

I may have misinterpreted your meaning ("or have a thought for yourself and find someone to sell you a converted remote for 250 Pounds") but I think you are being a bit unfair to the poster. A converted remote is just that, an inexpensive hacked toy. Some of the conversions look alright but are not going to be close to the same category as the real deal from a prop collectors standpoint.

Down the line, from a collectors standpoint with the RubberToe version you have a dead on screen accurate copy made from the same parts molds and maker as the real one (once the 250 are sold out, this will go up in value). With the 250 Pound conversion you have a wrecked toy that is no longer collectable because it has been taken out of the box and modified.

Again, sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning.

Last edited:
I may have misinterpreted your meaning ("or have a thought for yourself and find someone to sell you a converted remote for 250 Pounds") but I think you are being a bit unfair to the poster. A converted remote is just that, an inexpensive hacked toy. Some of the conversions look alright but are not going to be close to the same category as the real deal from a prop collectors standpoint.

Down the line, from a collectors standpoint with the RubberToe version you have a dead on screen accurate copy made from the same parts molds and maker as the real one (once the 250 are sold out, this will go up in value). With the 250 Pound conversion you have a wrecked toy that is no longer collectable because it has been taken out of the box and modified.

Again, sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning.

I didn't mean to be rude at all, I was just a little clumsy when trying to explain that on my opinion, a converted remote looks awesome for a softcore fan, and apart from a few details, it is an excellent alternative to a 650£ item.
I have one (converted remote) myself and had the opportunity to test its resistance a lot, and from my point of view, if it wast for the shape of the claws and emitter and the prestige of owning a replica made by Robatto himself, well, 250ish £ is a really fair deal compaired to the 650 you would have to pay otherwise.

Again, if it is exact screen accuracy you are looking for, or a maybe-future-wealth... or... whatever (again, lack of vocabulary, sorry), then go for the Rubbertoe version. If you want a really good looking replica you are more likely to play with (or just wielding it without being terrorised about making a scratch), then go for a converted remote.

I'm a bit tired so I might have written a holy brick, sorry, but the content should be relevant. I hope it helps! :)

Oh no offence taken at all, i do consider myself quiet a hardcore fan however (based on the fact i've bought one now haha) But if i couldn't have afforded one i'd definitely had gone with one of them. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back