Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Visually kind of trying to determine what this split design might look like . . .

14728351833_6c5b20b935_o.jpg

newxwing-1.jpg

Last edited:

I'm going to settle for now on this theory, the split wings using the barrel of the engines themselves as the pivot. Front sections swing down, rear sections swing up. Still makes an "X".

x-split-ktate-140721c.jpg

I'm going to settle for now on this theory, the split wings using the barrel of the engines themselves as the pivot. Front sections swing down, rear sections swing up. Still makes an "X".

View attachment 351825

That makes the most sense to me since the middle of the engine intakes appears to be too thin for a split engine design like in the illustrations/renders posted and the cowl on the front of the intake does support the possibility of a barrel pivot since there doesn't appear to be a seam line running all the way through like it would if the engine were to split in half.

What have you heard that makes you think Brian has anything to do with helmets/costume? :-/ He's come on right at the end.
Because his profession to this day is Sculptor. why else would they hire him? Just because he only started work in early July doesn't mean they started filming any scenes that required what it is they hired him to sculpt. they shoot movies out of sequence and they have only been filming for the past 8 weeks... Heck, they are still hiring actors with 3 just hired only this past week!

while we can speculate on the technology of how they are making the costumes/ armor/ helmets and granted it looks like Kevin Smith saw stormtroopers a few days prior to Brian Muir's announcement we don't know that he wasn't hired to sculpt a different helmet/ armor that has yet to be filmed. Yes, I am speculating but being JJ is going for real sets, props and costumes and doing much in the old school traditional sense and hiring many of the OT staff I feel it would only make sense you would hire a sculptor to sculpt something yes? :D

I dunno--if you look at the very beginning of the video, just over JJ's shoulder you can definitely see the split in the engine.

Because his profession to this day is Sculptor. why else would they hire him? Just because he only started work in early July doesn't mean they started filming any scenes that required what it is they hired him to sculpt. they shoot movies out of sequence and they have only been filming for the past 8 weeks... Heck, they are still hiring actors with 3 just hired only this past week!

while we can speculate on the technology of how they are making the costumes/ armor/ helmets and granted it looks like Kevin Smith saw stormtroopers a few days prior to Brian Muir's announcement we don't know that he wasn't hired to sculpt a different helmet/ armor that has yet to be filmed. Yes, I am speculating but being JJ is going for real sets, props and costumes and doing much in the old school traditional sense and hiring many of the OT staff I feel it would only make sense you would hire a sculptor to sculpt something yes? :D

Thanks for the insight. :rolleyes

Thanks for the insight. :rolleyes

ya, he was probably hired as a boom operator. :rolleyes I'm sure he is sculpting something or overseeing some sculpts... just the same its nice to know he is working on the film no? Since you are in the industry and the concept model maker for Episode 7 perhaps you have insight as to what he is doing there?

Last edited:

And if you look here, behind the left wing landing gear, you can see there is a lower engine bell, so there are 4 engines at the back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 2.30.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 2.30.24 PM.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 112

I agree. Also I think it would look kind of wierd if the wings split after the engines. That would mean you would have a good seven or eight feet basically on the "wing" before the split, giving it a flat wing, then split wing look to it. I don't think that would look right at all.

I'm interested in that beveled look on the back end, wonder what the tail section looks like.

Damn!!!! Don't this stuff jus' make ya tingly all over?!!!

Na, I'd say it'll look pretty much like the RMcQ concepts,.....too much of the rest of it follows his design

&.......dont forget about this early shot:

http://i2.wp.com/comics-x-aminer.co...the-scenes-photos-012-480w.jpg?resize=480,360

J

I think this shot lends credence to the idea that the wings split the entire length, including the engines, but do so in a front/back stagger. Look at how the laser cannot are mounted. And that is apparent at the end here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 2.36.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 2.36.33 PM.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 116

No, you can clearly see a line bisecting the engines in this HD screen grab, those suckers split apart.

Yup, definitely a seam but oddly enough, there's no indication of a cavity for the wings to extend into on the body unless the original X-Wings were like that too. Regardless, that thing must have been designed as a pure interceptor because it looks like this new X-Wing has even less all around visibility than the original did.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back