The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

Official Hobbit 3D glasses. I purchased a pair just to see if the glasses would help the 3D ghosting that seems to happen with the theater glasses. (even the upgraded IMAX glasses)

Oakley Limited Edition The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D Gascan Sunglasses available at the online Oakley store
Not at that price. You're just paying for the name (both of them, in this case). The lenses are higher grade, meaning they're more consistent across the lens, smoother, maybe a little clearer, but the base polarization is the same.

I'll be using the glasses that came with my computer monitor. They work just fine, and they're far more comfortable than the theater glasses. If anyone's thinking of getting some custom glasses, I'd recommend just buying a set of glasses for home TV use. Mine are Asus, but LG makes several varieties as well, I think Sony does too.

The last time I saw anything in 3D (in theaters) was Prometheus, and I did get a bit of ghosting even with my own glasses. It's nearly unavoidable in any presentation with sharp contrast, especially very bright objects in a dark background. For example, the "worst" parts of Prometheus occurred when they were exploring the structure for the first time.. brightly-lit helmets and faces in an otherwise very dark tunnel. And I only say "worst" by comparison.. most people probably wouldn't even have noticed, but I was nitpicking the view through my glasses since I had just gotten them. And it wasn't the glasses causing it, I think it was the polarization filter in the projector (and only in one eye, the left, I think it was), because I didn't get the same level of ghosting watching the film at home, using the exact same pair of glasses.

New post, different topic:

How many people are excited to see the film in HFR 3D? I brought it up to my friends the other day, and they balked at the idea of seeing a "soap opera" presentation of a big film like this, and how they don't like the motion-smoothing that Best Buy has on all their TVs (as if it were a good thing).

I've gotten the impression lately that PJ intends for the HFR solely to benefit the 3D aspect of the film. It's been stated that none of the 2D presentations will be HFR, they'll all be classic 24p. And I assume there will still be some 3D presentations at 24p for the theaters that aren't equipped for HFR.

I'm not normally a fan of smoothing, not necessarily because it looks bad, but because it's not what was intended. But in this case, it is intended. PJ shot it that way, and for that reason alone, I'm determined to see it that way.

The last time I saw anything in 3D (in theaters) was Prometheus, and I did get a bit of ghosting even with my own glasses. It's nearly unavoidable in any presentation with sharp contrast, especially very bright objects in a dark background.

I don't (and didn't) believe that these glasses would make everything 3D "perfect." I figured "Meh, why not?" I can afford it, it just amps up my excitement, and both my wife and I bring wet naps each time we go to our local IMAX to wipe down the glasses. (I know they are washed, but who knows)

New post, different topic:

How many people are excited to see the film in HFR 3D? I brought it up to my friends the other day, and they balked at the idea of seeing a "soap opera" presentation of a big film like this, and how they don't like the motion-smoothing that Best Buy has on all their TVs (as if it were a good thing).

I've gotten the impression lately that PJ intends for the HFR solely to benefit the 3D aspect of the film. It's been stated that none of the 2D presentations will be HFR, they'll all be classic 24p. And I assume there will still be some 3D presentations at 24p for the theaters that aren't equipped for HFR.

I'm not normally a fan of smoothing, not necessarily because it looks bad, but because it's not what was intended. But in this case, it is intended. PJ shot it that way, and for that reason alone, I'm determined to see it that way.

I'll be seeing the 12:01 am Friday premier at the Seattle IMAX (not in HFR) and then going Sunday afternoon to the next biggest movie screen The Cinerama to see it in HFR. I agree with you, that PJ filmed it for HFR and 3D and (again) I'm excited to be able to compare the two.

Does the HFR require special hardware on the theaters part? (I ask because if it does, i seriously doubt we get it).

Just checked amc and cinemark and nothing within 100 miles.

Yes, it does, that's why it's a somewhat limited release. Someone a page or so back posted a link to a complete list of theaters that are showing HFR.

Sweet! Literally a fifteen minute drive for me. Watching the Return Of The King right now. Started reading the Hobbit again as well.

THAT's odd. I checked that list and it has Tulsa, OK on the list at the Cinemark/Imax - however Cinemark's website only shows OKC.

Well, bleep me! I checked the list on the cinemark page yesterday before posting and Tulsa was NOT on that list. Checked it today and it's there. Very odd. It just showed two OKC locations. Today it's one OKC and one tulsa.

Yes! The Webster Cinemark has HPF! I've been trying to avoid amc because it's further than a half mile from my house. Thanks for that link!

I really love those production vlogs. I've noticed that the films and shows I like tend to have very happy and funny people running them, and these vlogs confirmed it yet again, so my hopes are high. It also makes me feel just a bit closer to New Zealand, which is always a great thing.

I really love those production vlogs. I've noticed that the films and shows I like tend to have very happy and funny people running them. It also makes me feel just a bit closer to New Zealand, which is always a great thing.

agreed. I don't think I have yet to read something bad said about working on the LOTR movies.

first reviews of The Hobbit are in !!

No spoilers (from /film.com)

"The text explicitly says that the 48 frames per second resolution works (“…after a minute or two of adjusting, the higher resolution is eye-popping, similar to discovering HD television for the first time”) and that the film is “lighter and funnier than its Lord of the Rings predecessors.”

There are also some Twitter reactions kicking around, perhaps most notably from Bryan Singer:

Just saw #Hobbit. Having some serious frame rate envy. Amazing and involving. Loved it! And @ianmckellen118, my friend, you are brilliant!

Sounding good, isn't it? Lighter and funnier is expected, especially since the emphasis on humour in the trailers. Still nervous about the frame rate, looks like there's one cinema here that will be playing in HFR so I may make the hike over there if there's a good general reaction.

Oh man, can't wait.

Thats a LITTLE bit better!
I'm still insanely jealous ! Not much to be jealous of here in Seattle. (Unless you really like the rain)

Well done C! Cheers

After the first photo, which as you can see is pretty ****, I said, "One more for luck, Pete?" He replied, "Definitely!"

I also was able to ask him some questions 'bout the minis unit... didn't go down too well.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back