GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Here's a problem with the original Ghostbusters movies in terms of doing a follow up. They never treated ghosts as entities that existed in their universe on a regular basis. They're treated as a result of a single evil entity that's being summoned into the living world. And as Ghostbusters 2 established, once Gozer was gone, so were the ghosts. When Vigo is vanquished? So were the ghosts. So how is it that we can go back to having ghosts appear years later without resorting to the same mechanic? Well, Ghostbusters 2 tried and it wasn't much of a success.

In Ghostbusters, their world was like ours. Some people believe in ghosts, insist on them, and others (like Peck) cannot. An event happens that makes the public at large and the city of New York come to terms with the existence of other realms. Stantz and Spengler and (to a lesser degree) Venkman had been researching the phenomenon for years. "Everyone knew" about the disturbances at the Sedgwick. There are many other cases mentioned by Ray throughout the story, and there are even books referenced (like Tobin's Spirit Guide) which are dedicated to the subject. Neither the events at Dana's apartment nor the Vigo painting were responsible for bringing ghosts to their universe.

The main problem with Ghostbusters 2 lies in its lack of originality. It's another going into business story which matches the events of the first film beat for beat. It's hardly the simple premise that they had a larger-than-usual paranormal problem to solve. I assure you, the reboot will feature those exact same missteps.

is impossible.

No one wants this film to be something other than it is more than I do, but I don't understand the mentality of other Ghostbusters fans. They just seem to have hugely unrealistic perceptions of everything! From their cachet/influence as a fanbase to how films are made to how production and fanmade props are made, it's pure weird entitlement and wishful thinking...

Do or do not... there is no impossible ;o)..... as I said before, just wishful thinking.

as for ghostbusters fans... all this mess proved why I stopped visiting certain message boards dedicated to such fandom long ago. they are some of the rudest, overly picky to detail people i've ever met online.

but at least we can mostly all agree this film will suck hard ;o)...

The main problem with Ghostbusters 2 lies in its lack of originality. It's another going into business story which matches the events of the first film beat for beat. It's hardly the simple premise that they had a larger-than-usual paranormal problem to solve. I assure you, the reboot will feature those exact same missteps.

I don't even think part 2 had the cartoon in mind for writing it. I just think they where trying to fast track a movie because of all the success and didn't really have a clear enough vision on where to go.... so, for some odd reason, they fell back on retreading old ideas. about the only impact the cartoon seemed to have was ...- no showing of rebuilt containment unit...slimer....and less swearing..(although you do see murray mouthing the S bomb)

as stated before, the going out of business thing wasn't needed. winston vanishing cause he wasn't 'important' wasn't needed. another peter romance plot line wasn't needed (actually, the same one). about the only good thing of two was the expansion of the slime and introduction of slime blowers. otherthan that, and a few good one liners people like to quote, it's largely forgettable.

There's a couple huge problems I can see with the idea of them finding the place abandoned and nothing working....

First the proton packs are nuclear accelerators,and radioactive materials have a half life of literally halfway from here to eternity,never mind just leaving that kind of thing just laying around...plus if they found it and popped that sucker open? be funny if the films ends in fifteen minutes with the new cast dead from radiation poisoning and most of the city.

Second the containment unit would likely need constant up keep-remember what happened when they shut the flippin' thing OFF in the first movie? yea I can't see just walking off and saying "meh,whatever" probably blow up half of NYC instead of irradiating it!

There's a couple huge problems I can see with the idea of them finding the place abandoned and nothing working....

First the proton packs are nuclear accelerators,and radioactive materials have a half life of literally halfway from here to eternity,never mind just leaving that kind of thing just laying around...plus if they found it and popped that sucker open? be funny if the films ends in fifteen minutes with the new cast dead from radiation poisoning and most of the city.

Second the containment unit would likely need constant up keep-remember what happened when they shut the flippin' thing OFF in the first movie? yea I can't see just walking off and saying "meh,whatever" probably blow up half of NYC instead of irradiating it!

You could write those problems away though. They find schematics instead of the actual packs (presumably the guys went missing with them and allows for a new look) and the containment unit could have new safeguards that were built in after it blew up (rebuilt after the incident, also, it blew up because it was bursting at the seams with ghosts. New one we can say has MUCH larger capacity). A line like "brilliant engineering, this thing could run without issues for a hundred years!" would be enough for most folks to be fine.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

You could write those problems away though. They find schematics instead of the actual packs (presumably the guys went missing with them and allows for a new look) and the containment unit could have new safeguards that were built in after it blew up (rebuilt after the incident, also, it blew up because it was bursting at the seams with ghosts. New one we can say has MUCH larger capacity). A line like "brilliant engineering, this thing could run without issues for a hundred years!" would be enough for most folks to be fine.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Actually....if you made a story where the original Ghostbusters went missing and it's a legend that's been told for decades that would make an interesting jumping off point,the containment unit..be fitting if an older Janine was still looking after it,maybe have Kylie Griffin there helping out.

I used to watch the Real Ghostbusters cartoon all the time... and I gotta s they had some brilliant writers working on it. One of the one storylines that I think would have made for an awesome movie plot was when they went to Paris to bust some ghosts and discovered the Eiffel Tower was actually a giant containment device built by Eiffel to trap and draw in ghosts. No one knew this of course until the Ghostbusters came around and Egon discovered that the tower electronics was on the fritz and that was the reason why the city of Paris was being over run with ghosts. Was a pretty cool storyline and would have made for an execellent plot for GB3!

yep, more proof that if you have the write people for the job (see what I did there?) anything is possible.

I think they fast tracked part two and worried about the cartoons influence too much, and that is why that one suffered.
I think they should have gotten the better cartoon writers to come up with a plot point, a beginning, middle, end. some jokes, and if one of them couldn't write a movie script, have some hot now writer take a crack at it.

also, anyone remember that forgettable ghostbusters novel that popped up out of nowhere in the mid 00's? I can't even remember what it was called, but it was a weird one and done.

some of the hate has died down a little on the FB groups. either they started actively banning people for it, or feig is starting to win over the traditional fans.
personally, just like with tmnt, it kind of insults me as a fan that anyone could like this crap that claims to call itself ninja turtles or ghostbusters.

yes, things do re invent themselves over decades...but do it right. THe first four seasons of 4Kids TMNT where the gold standard of tmnt animation. 5 got a little goofy with mystic stuff. 6 was largely forgettable with poor animation and far too much light hearted goofiness. season 6 was made purely by playmates with it's virtual reality crap. but it ended on a good note with casey and april and turtles forever.

TMNT 2K!2 is far too goofy and random to be fun. some of the times it wants to be a weird horror show. others, plots get setup and made important, only to be forgotten 5 episodes in, never to be resolved. things like the technodrome come in out of nowhere with no setup and no reward (literally, one episode, vanished, and came back for one episode later). all the de-aging of characters so you could have a stupid 'love triangle' between donnie (who treats april like crap) April Casey.

and don't even get me started on that movie.

So far, IDW is one of the few MODERN tmnt reboots I have zero complaints about. every issue I look forward to with renewed interest. same goes for IDW Ghostbusters. that's how you reboot something with people who clearly get the franchise and care about it. everything else is done for a quick cash in.

One thing I'd love to see are some of the improvements that the Ghostbusters video game made to the proton packs! They were pretty awesome!

If you liked Mad Max: Fury Road, then the fact that it's a different continuity from the others doesn't kill your enjoyment of it.

If you hated the SW prequels, then you probably think the shared continuity with the OT is more of a frustration than a good point.

The new GB movie does not really need continuity with the original GBs. It won't ruin a good movie by being absent, and it won't fix a bad one by being present.

1. That's a cause for celebration.
2. You don't need to see the film to know how big of a disaster it was.
3. Are you seriously implying that the new Ghostbusters will suffer the same fate?

Well seeing the history of BAD remakes that have been flooding the theaters lately... odds are that it will!

are we allowed to link to other forums articles on the subject here, or is that against the rules?

was browsing another message board, and one user there posted a fairly decent question. ' Why all the sudden support for the GB reboot?' he noticed the same thing I did. the average fan seems more willing to give it a chance now. and while there is still a huge tide of hate....the positive people are starting to make their presence known.

I personally agree that we don't owe feig anything for any sudden 'resurgence' in ghostbusters. the interest has always been there. in a small part thanks to the fans and message boards keeping it going. and it would have stayed there even if feig had never gotten involved. so far feig has shown nothing but disrespect to the franchise itself, and no kidding, considering he didn't even want the job. ghostbusters has always been about peter, ray, winston, egon, and janine. if only because it hadn't been given enough of a chance to expand and evolve to other characters. the closest we got was IDW and extreme gb. and the latter wasn't given a chance to stick around longer in this cancel happy tv world.
to do a reboot with all new characters, to satisfy your limited scope of vision these days is just not respectful to the franchise.

so to me, and my way of thinking.....I can't see why people would want to support this mess of a rehash for that reason alone. never mind with all the sony email hack info that came out, showing how this thing got started...

I just hope that GB fans are as devout as F4 fans and stay far away from this thing.

even more proof that sony doesn't know what to do with ghostbusters... that odd ios puzzle fighting game. First the artwork that came out that turned janine into a warrior woman...wearing a bikini top slinging a proton pack, and gozer with Double Ds.......now toned down to something a little more respectable....but not much. and the game itself is nothing but a rehash of an existing game that has nothing to do with ghosts... they just gave it a ghostbusters skin and suddenly fans are flocking to it. kind of sad.

Personally... I consider the Playstation 3 game Ghostbusters to be GB3... it was perfectly suited for being the next movie and everyone of the original cast contributed to it... if you haven't seen it or played it, get it... it's worth it!

So, a prediction.

I think this movie will do...eh..."fine" at the box office. It won't be a smash hit, it won't be a dismal failure like F4, it'll just be...y'know...a movie. It'll likely spawn a sequel or two. But it's unlikely to turn into some franchise powerhouse that rivals Star Wars, let alone Jurassic Park.

Remember The Hangover? Pretty good movie, right? Then they made a sequel that was basically a rehash of the original (or so I'm told). And people thought it was...meh. Nothing special. Then they made a third one, and most folks didn't like it (even thought it made plenty of money).

That, I think, is the trajectory for this film and its inevitable sequel. Solid start that has most people generally enjoying it (including some hardcore original GB fans who simply treat it as a separate thing in their brains), followed by a mediocre but profitable sequel, followed by a dismal but profitable third entry, followed by...nothing. Maybe a reboot, who knows.

The one thing that might change that is Sony's visions of a mega franchise with video games, toys, cartoons, comic books, the works. I find that...difficult to fathom, but then I expect most people would've said the same about the original Ghostbusters, and look at what spun off from that.

So, a prediction.

I think this movie will do...eh..."fine" at the box office. It won't be a smash hit, it won't be a dismal failure like F4, it'll just be...y'know...a movie. It'll likely spawn a sequel or two. But it's unlikely to turn into some franchise powerhouse that rivals Star Wars, let alone Jurassic Park.

Remember The Hangover? Pretty good movie, right? Then they made a sequel that was basically a rehash of the original (or so I'm told). And people thought it was...meh. Nothing special. Then they made a third one, and most folks didn't like it (even thought it made plenty of money).

Ok... that was the wrong movie to compare too... you didn't see Hangover toys in kids happy meals! :) GB wasn't just a movie... it was an idea that inspired... look at all the ghost hunting shows that are on TV now... Ghost Hunters, Ghost Aventures, Haunted Collector, Ghost Lab, etc etc... the people involved were all inspired by the original Ghostbusters movie. Not because it was funny... not because it had some great one liners, but because it had a wonderful premise that might have an ounce of truth in it. I think Jason on GH actually said once the GB is what gave him the idea to start the TAPS team in the first place. I don't think Hangover had that great an impact at all. Sure it was fun, but it wasn't very inspiring. Honestly, my prediction is that the only people that will see this movie are those that have never seen the GB movies before and are fans of the women involved in it AND those of us hard core GB fans that are curious to see what kind of mess they made of the francise so that we will go back and tell everyone else if it was worth watching or not. After the whole F4 fiasco and just how badly that movie tanked, I mean it received the record lowest rating ever given a blockbuster movie in history, and Sony was behind it too. So, unless Sony comes out and announces that they might be going in another direction with the plot, they are going to lose alot of money on this movie and it may end up going straight to DVD faster then Addams Family Values and Joe Dirt 2 did!

When it comes out, I suggest we call come back here and see just how close we were to being right! :)

I think you misunderstand the comparison I made.

I was comparing the upcoming GB rehash's probably performance -- along with its sequels -- to how the Hangover did. Maybe not quite as well as the Hangover, even. It'll just be a movie. It won't be a landmark, it won't inspire anyone to greatness, it'll just be some random movie that people years later say "Oh yeah. That one. That was ok. The third one sucked, though."

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back