DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

I doubt the initial trial will fail on something like this. Star wars is one of the most iconic brands out there.

I justify the payments with the fact that I don't smoke. Monthly payments must equal roughly what smokers would blow away into the air and make their lungs black with per month.

So I see it as a pretty good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt the initial trial will fail on something like this. Star wars is one of the most iconic brands out there.

I justify the payments with the fact that I don't smoke. Monthly payments must equal roughly what smokers would blow away into the air and make their lungs black with per month.

So I see it as a pretty good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only that was true. Lol
I spend £7 a say on cigarettes so this is a bargain. But I get your point.
I could never justify £900 on a Falcon model but getting it monthly is easier to swallow and I've loved building it. Still got 17 issues to go.
I'm also building the Delorean which at 130 issues is even more expensive, but I loved the films and buying monthly eases the sting on the pocket.
Will I get the X-Wing? I'm unsure.

Yeah, it's certainly a nice manageable hobby doing it monthly.

I also considered the DeLorean, but am still undecided. I probably shouldn't do the calculation on what it actually costs, only makes it harder to justify :)

I am not saying it will fail, but there is a lot more to it than saying it's Star Wars. It's very expensive for a "toy" and it's very expensive for a "model." In fact, it's very expensive for what it is--and I mean something that has a bunch of cool gizmos and something that is as big as it is. Did you ever once look at a monthly shipment for the MF (4 issues) and think if you spending $60 on a model, that's what you would expect? Whip open anything in your stash that cost $60, or a couple $30 kits if you need to , then compare it to a month of the MF. I got this (two of them) simply because it was the only game in town for getting decently sized MF that was reasonable in accuracy. And if the FM MF were more accurate, or if Bandai had come out with what I imagine they could do with a 72nd or 48th scale MF, I would never have thought about the DeAgo kit at that price (and the SS nature of it was just a bonus for me). The gizmos and features are neat, but they are still parts, and when you compare those gizmos--as parts--to the parts of other kits, it's simply overpriced. There are gizmos in the Bandai 48th scale X-wing, by the way, and even though it's more than $60, you could some kind of math comparison where you say this much model and this many gizmos for $60 of Bandai (majority of the kit) compared to $60 worth of parts and gizmos from DeAgo.

All of this is why I think the size is where DeAgo might be shooting itself in the foot. It makes me sympathize with what I have heard about people in Japan: that homes are soe small there and that's why Bandai has a such a focus on small SW kits. I don't know if it's exactly true (about Bandai) but at least i can sympathize with people in Japan. (Is the MF for sale in Japan? If so, what do the sales numbers look like?) Where would I put a 1/18 scale X-wing? This is why I have said DeAgo started with a price point and then started developing a kit that would (kinda, sorta, and not really except they did sell all those MFs) fit that price. Now they have a product that too many people didn't want even without considering the price. The 1/2 scale R2 might be similar but at least it seems to have some cool features, like it's more of a RC robot that takes pictures or video and maybe could be part of a home security system. I think of that robot in one of the Rocky movies--panache. (Not that I'll get one.)

And now I wonder how they decide. Do they sell the first few issues for a few bucks/pounds/Euros and see how many people want it based on that? As much as rail against this whole idea of this kit, I would buy the first issue that I've seen for a few bucks as a curiosity. Do a lot of people do that? I guess they might have a formula for that, the way when a person on a forum like this says he might create a kit or AM set and 60 people say "yay" and 11 people eventually buy it.
Mike Todd

It's very big, maybe a little too big for most people's display areas.

Here's a pic of my half finished Deag Falcon next to the Hasbro Hero Xwing (66cm length) which will be the same size (if not, very close to) the new Deag X Wing.

thumbnail_FullSizeRender_zpsfoartiyt.jpg

It's very big, maybe a little too big for most people's display areas.

Here's a pic of my half finished Deag Falcon next to the Hasbro Hero Xwing (66cm length) which will be the same size (if not, very close to) the new Deag X Wing.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/S4Simon/thumbnail_FullSizeRender_zpsfoartiyt.jpg

Argh, I need to really get off my ***** and start working on my projects. Im on my last Deago shipment and have the large Xwing hanging in the garage.

Your Xwing looks great. Im gonna mount it on a wall vertically.

Thanks, It was cheap and big, and I had to have it. A very quick dry brush - a bit too heavy handed IMO, but anyway it's hanging from the ceiling nicely. Stuck a few lights in to make it look extra cool. I think all up it was less that AU$70 fully completed.

XWingMastercrop_zps5cdf23a6.jpg

Thanks, It was cheap and big, and I had to have it. A very quick dry brush - a bit too heavy handed IMO, but anyway it's hanging from the ceiling nicely. Stuck a few lights in to make it look extra cool. I think all up it was less that AU$70 fully completed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/S4Simon/XWingMastercrop_zps5cdf23a6.jpg

And that is what I love about toy conversions. Pennies for pounds with a little bit of elbow grease. The Wallmart Falcon and this Xwing are modeling Gold.

Just had issues 3 & 4 sent to me today with a letter saying due to unforeseen circumstances that the x wing is suspended till further notice!!!

Just had issues 3 & 4 sent to me today with a letter saying due to unforeseen circumstances that the x wing is suspended till further notice!!!

The vibe I got on the Deago forum is that the letter is standard procedure. Maybe someone here can confirm. When the MF was in its test run did a similar letter get sent out?

Thanks Rahn420....You posted the answer before I got the question out. hahaha

The vibe I got on the Deago forum is that the letter is standard procedure. Maybe someone here can confirm. When the MF was in its test run did a similar letter get sent out?

Thanks Rahn420....You posted the answer before I got the question out. hahaha

It gives them a chance to iron out a few problems too. The original deagostini falcon test release pieces are noticeably smaller than the now finished products. The model would have ended up being a couple inches smaller!

Apologies if I stepped over the line regarding forum rules/regs Dedalus5550 , with my last post . Other Bandai kits are discussed , and seeings how this thread is about the falcon ...just thought to share what I'd read elsewhere . No harm meant .
Cheers Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just talking about the fact that this thread isn't getting a whole lot of attention and kind of suggests that people aren't as into this as they were the Millennium falcon. It had nothing to do with your post about the bandair kit which I'm very excited about. People are having nerdgasms all over the place about the D Bandai falcon. Me too

I still think if DeAg did a proper Slave 1 they would have another hit like the millennium. There are sooo many x-wing kits out there already. But hey that just my two cents and a little bit of wishing.

It's not studio scale, and it probably won't be as popular as the MF, but I think there still will be a lot of interest. The Deag models do not require a lot of modelling experience. If you can build IKEA furniture, you can put together a Deag model in basic form. So perhaps a lot of the interest will be from people who aren't members here and want a "Hero" X-wing displayed on the shelf in their man cave.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back