Crackerjazz' Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon

Hi GF, Jaitea, Scoob, thanks! Really beautiful book, John! Thanks, Uwe, Kreoon, stargazer1, I hope you get your kits soon! It's an awesome model.

http://i.imgur.com/zMkKLmx.jpg

I really like the rear of the Launch Bay Falcon.
crackerjazz amazing detail, very smart how you aligned the blast marks , I'll be trying that method.
never payed attention to the rear of that falcon before, I agree it looks better, I always thought the flat grid was very 2d
well done
im glad I'm doing the ANH version , your rectenna detail is very slick

HI John, thanks! :) And I'll make sure I don't miss the turrets! Wow, just a few minutes from now and we'll be on our way! Between me and my son you can easily tell who the kid is. He sure can keep his composure. :)

AMTntzn.jpg

vAbtNek.jpg

5gW01ay.jpg

VYGrj9Q.jpg

qlYByrm.jpg

They should have put outer grilles on the Launch Bay falcon. Test fitting the Bandai grilles. Just half for comparison. The outer grilles should be finer but I'm not sure how to do that right now. Maybe I'll try shaving off some material from the Bandai grille to make the bars narrower.

FA1Do9i.jpg

RcMqAuG.jpg

wAa1vXZ.jpg

jh5EQdC.jpg

Maybe I should try the white kind of LEDs.

I think it looks brilliant with the blue LEDs. The digital model seems to have either a blue color temp or the inner bevels have a blue/grey surface.

Hi Crackerjazz, That would be great, I'm getting some Shapeway parts for 1/144 Bandai Falcon, would love to get that grille. Just want to finish my Hasbro MF before I start with the Bandai. Lot of projects to make.......still have the Bandai R2D2, C3PO & AT-ST one to start too....

Hey Shadowman, thanks!

agsz5gk.jpg

Mandibles painted and attached.

JE1DeI7.jpg

no8MxUs.jpg

Replaced with white. There's a blue tinge but it doesn't show too well.

6MEn0zm.jpg

By the way, has anyone else observed that the glow looks blue-green in the movie? It doesn't seem to be bright blue or straight white.

qW5KWap.jpg

zUTQFng.jpg

pI1n1Y7.jpg

OLAktjI.jpg

Some stencil film.

5abK5ji.jpg

SQxmF9p.jpg

I didn't know there are 2 kinds of white LED -- the usual one has a bluish hue. The "watercolor white LED has a yellowish hue that cancels out the color of the stencil film so I got rid of those.

Tbkvp7Q.jpg

I think it now captures the hue of the TFA Falcon engine glow better.

Man, I feel like I'm totally late to the party! I love what you did with the radar dish and engine grill! Your grill when lit, looks just like TFA Falcon from behind. Please let us know if you end up making a 3D part for this as I would be very interested. I'm still on the fence about replicating the 5ft or going TFA or making them somewhat interchangeable. I also, liked your idea of using a print out of the 5ft rescaled to mark your battle damage. I can't believe how perfectly the plating matches up with the 5ft. Is it really that close? I mean it looked spot on.

Hey, Lee, thanks! Hi Astro, kokarri, I should be done with the grille soon, thanks! The printout I used was the topview of the TFA Falcon and yes it looks very close to the 5-foot.

Another new admirer here, received my Bandai 1/144 kit last month and am really enjoying the treasure trove of reference pics and descriptions here. Hope you all don't mind if I sang some ideas for my own build, heh.

Your falcon is looking awesome. That little thing is so sharply detailed that in some pics its hard to discern the scale. Love the engine lights.

Sincerely hope Bandai releases this in 1\72 scale.

Thanks, Scoob! :) Hi Guns Akimbo, welcome aboard! Hi Bwize, yeah, this little thing is amazing. They say we shouldn't get our hopes up for a 1/72 anytime soon, but I'm willing to wait. It should be relatively easier for the model companies this time because of the digital asset. Using one for the movie actually worked out to the advantage of model companies and kit builders :)

CJ, I have a cost question for you - can you scale your engine light to 1/72 and make a parts list for the lighting and where to purchase? I love that look!

Sorry, got sidetracked by the Hasbro. Let me get back to this build. Sure thing.. it can be scaled to any size -- one problem I see, though, is the sidewalls of the MPC being too high -- so this might not match your model unless the sidewalls are cut down to the same proportions as the Bandai :(

Re: Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon - an even slower build

WOW! Amazing detailing! Well done mate!

Dang it cracker! This is another beautiful build. I've seen how small this kit is and your attention to detail is unreal.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back